Local club/country
Killian Greens Golf Club
Irons
MX-1000
Driver
ST-180
Halebopp said:
Now, tell me more about the two-hour nap, that sounds like fun! :D
It takes years of practice to perfect, but you can do it if you try. I practice 2-3 times a day.

Varry Hardon

HCP
Local club/country
Dukinfield
Irons
H5 long irons, Takomo 101T, S23 wedges
Driver
ST-G
DennisMiller said:
I met up with my regular Monday group yesterday and rode around 9 holes. I took a putter and a couple balls just to mess around, but being around the guys got to me. That was my first emotional moment of the day.

I borrowed a 5 hybrid from one of the guys and tried to hit a ball.
You silly bugger. You were supposed to only hit a few balls with the putter but I can picture you now: John Daly style on that 5 hybrid.

DennisMiller

HCP
Old Age
Local club/country
Killian Greens Golf Club
Irons
MX-1000
Driver
ST-180
Varry Hardon said:
DennisMiller said:
I met up with my regular Monday group yesterday and rode around 9 holes. I took a putter and a couple balls just to mess around, but being around the guys got to me. That was my first emotional moment of the day.

I borrowed a 5 hybrid from one of the guys and tried to hit a ball.
You silly bugger. You were supposed to only hit a few balls with the putter but I can picture you now: John Daly style on that 5 hybrid.
I'd have been thrilled if I was loose enough to make MY full swing, much less John Daly's...

DennisMiller

HCP
Old Age
Local club/country
Killian Greens Golf Club
Irons
MX-1000
Driver
ST-180
In the form of an update...

I had hoped to play a couple time between my left hand healing well enough before surgery on the right hand. It's not going to happen. It's less a matter of my right hand condition than the irritation fromo some bone spurs in my shoulders.

May 1st, I'll meet with my hand surgeon for the usual pre-surgery appointment and surgery for the carpel tunnel condition in the right hand will follow, probably the next Friday or Monday.

Shoulder surgery will get scheduled within a few weeks after that, but that will be arthroscopic, so my orthopedist tells me I'll need PT, but it won't be a difficult healing.

It could be worse. They could be talking about replacing my original parts with transplants.

If I had to guess, I might figure on playing again around December. I wonder if the year and 4 months off will hurt my game, huh? (yeah... right!)

Halebopp

HCP
Local club/country
Lakeside Golf Vammala, Finland
Irons
MP-H5/53/4
Driver
MP-650/ST180
Ouch, that's a long time away from golf. The only good part is that half of it is already behind you. And of course there's that little bit of actually getting healthier in the process. :) My winter break is coming to an end on Saturday, teeing off in less than 73 hours after 5 months and a couple of days away from it.

Hopefully the operations and healing go well for you!

PaulBoy

HCP
WHS 7.0
Local club/country
Army GC
Irons
Mizuno Pro 223 (4-AW) Modus3 120s
Driver
Titleist TSi2 Graphite Design Tour AD XC-50s
Nice to hear from you Dennis - Sounds like there is some light appearing at the end of the tunnel - Another few months to go but the worst behind you - Keep up the good work with your rehab & keep us posted how you are going
Cheers
Paul

DennisMiller

HCP
Old Age
Local club/country
Killian Greens Golf Club
Irons
MX-1000
Driver
ST-180
Thanks guys...

I find it really disturbing that this layoff doesn't seem to bother me mentally as much as I thought it would. I turn 69 years old in a couple weeks and I have no intention of letting age or physical problems make me give up this silly game yet. Knowing what I used to be capable of when I felt good and knowing where I play isn't the hardest course in the world, I fully intend to shoot my age one of these days. I came within one shot when I was 66. I don't know why being 69 or 70 should be any harder.

DennisMiller

HCP
Old Age
Local club/country
Killian Greens Golf Club
Irons
MX-1000
Driver
ST-180
I've just had a big change of plans thrown at me.

I was scheduled to have shoulder surgery on the 18th to remove bone spurs. A week later, I should have had carpel tunnel surgery on my right hand. Two to three weeks after that I should have had bone spur shoulder surgery on the other shoulder.

As part of the medical clearance before the first surgery, I failed the EKG. Apparently I have something called atrial fibrillation, so my cardiologist is going to put me through a month of tests before doing anything about it. That backs up everything.

So, today being my 69th birthday and being totally unhappy about this whole situation, I decided to become a dope addict.

I am going to take however much pain killer that lets me function, stretch out and somehow, hit a golf ball. I'm going to start Saturday morning on blood thinners, another thing I'm not happy about, so that's when I'll also start stretching on a heavy cage at the gym and taking as much ibuprofen or acetaminophen as it takes.

This BS stops now. I hope to step on the first tee at Killian Greens at 9 AM on Monday morning. If I can play 9 holes without too much pain, I'll consider it a great day.

Halebopp

HCP
Local club/country
Irons
MP-H5/53/4
Driver
MP-650/ST180
Don't do anything stupid now! :)

Belated birthday wishes to you, Dennis! Hopefully you get to enjoy your day out and the test show no real issues!

DennisMiller

HCP
Old Age
Local club/country
Killian Greens Golf Club
Irons
MX-1000
Driver
ST-180
Thanks... My birthday was pretty frustrating with some medical news I'm not happy about, but at the last minute, we were invited out for dinner and the spread a friend laid out looked like something she planned for days. It really turned around my day.

Yesterday, I took a large dose of ibuprofen and about 3 AM this morning, I took a large dose of acetaminophen, neither of which dulled the pain in my shoulders enough to let me play today.

Right now, as we would be teeing off, the weather looks sort of threatening, so maybe I'm better off at home anyway. I'll work on a few of my guitars that need some adjustments and I have some ideas about some modifications to a couple of them. There's also a small fluffy white dog who can be very demanding of my attention, so I'll play with Hogan and maybe take him for a ride in the car later.

DennisMiller

HCP
Old Age
Local club/country
Killian Greens Golf Club
Irons
MX-1000
Driver
ST-180
As a matter of an update, I was supposed to have the bone spurs removed from my shoulders a few weeks ago, but in the tests for the medical clearance before surgery, I failed the EKG. Last Thursday, I had an ablation procedure, a matter of snaking a catheter up into my heart and shocking me back into rhythm. Everything went as well as humanly possible and I'll probably have the shoulders done in a couple weeks.

My right hand still hasn't had the carpel tunnel surgery and the symptoms come and go. With any luck, I'll be able to play a few times before I have to do that.

Weather permitting, I'm going to meet my regular Monday morning guys tomorrow and ride around. I'll probably take a putter with me like the last time.

NotOhBoy

Local club/country
Surrey
Thanks for the update. I had an ablation (2 actually) a few years back. Nothing to worry about and I’m still enjoying my golf.

PaulBoy

HCP
WHS 7.0
Local club/country
Army GC
Irons
Mizuno Pro 223 (4-AW) Modus3 120s
Driver
Titleist TSi2 Graphite Design Tour AD XC-50s
Nice to hear from you Dennis & glad to see things are moving in the right direction - If I was in your position, the men in white coats would have dragged me off to the asylum a long time ago! - Well done you ... Paul ;)

DennisMiller

HCP
Old Age
Local club/country
Killian Greens Golf Club
Irons
MX-1000
Driver
ST-180
I got to the Orthopedist's office today and gave them my paper from the Cardiologist saying I am at low risk for the surgery.

In a couple days, I'll get blood work done and have a chest x-ray. Then, barring another incident, my shoulder surgery will be on August 31st. That's provided my wife can take the day off to sit and be bored all day while I sleep through it all. Removing the bone spurs is no big deal, just 3 little incisions about 1/4" long, but the rotator cuff has to be pulled out of the way a bit to get to the spurs, so I guess it's like being strained.

I don't know how long I'll take to recover so the shoulder can stretch through a swing again, but the light at the end of the tunnel is getting bigger and bigger.

I think I'm going to take my clubs out of the closet and go through a little ritual I do about once a month. I empty everything out of my bag and clean everything up. (I clean my clubs every time I play though) I'll wipe down the bag, the head covers and clean my clubs. All the balls, tees, gloves, the rain suit and anything else will get checked to make sure it's absolutely ready to play as soon as I grab my sticks with ill intent in mind.

Right now, the itch to play bothers me as much as the pain in my shoulder, but it's a really good itch now that I see an end to it.

DCB

HCP
Local club/country
Midlothian, Scotland http://www.merchantsgolf.com
Irons
My ReHab Bag - Mizuno JPX 900 HM 5-GW A Shafts, JPX EX 4H, JPX 900 5 & 7 Wood Orochi RL Shafts.
Driver
JPX 900
It will be worth it all in the end Dennis. Get through the O, carry out the rehab exercises and you'll be as good as new ;)

All th best and hope everything falls ito place and goes well.

MPX

Administrator
Staff member
HCP
Local club/country
UK
Irons
JPX919 Hot Metal Pro 4-PW (C Taper Lite stiff), T20 wedges chrome - 50 / 56
Driver
ST-Z driver, ST200x 3wood, ST200x 5 wood
I got to the Orthopedist's office today and gave them my paper from the Cardiologist saying I am at low risk for the surgery.

In a couple days, I'll get blood work done and have a chest x-ray. Then, barring another incident, my shoulder surgery will be on August 31st. That's provided my wife can take the day off to sit and be bored all day while I sleep through it all. Removing the bone spurs is no big deal, just 3 little incisions about 1/4" long, but the rotator cuff has to be pulled out of the way a bit to get to the spurs, so I guess it's like being strained.

I don't know how long I'll take to recover so the shoulder can stretch through a swing again, but the light at the end of the tunnel is getting bigger and bigger.

I think I'm going to take my clubs out of the closet and go through a little ritual I do about once a month. I empty everything out of my bag and clean everything up. (I clean my clubs every time I play though) I'll wipe down the bag, the head covers and clean my clubs. All the balls, tees, gloves, the rain suit and anything else will get checked to make sure it's absolutely ready to play as soon as I grab my sticks with ill intent in mind.

Right now, the itch to play bothers me as much as the pain in my shoulder, but it's a really good itch now that I see an end to it.
Keep riding the course with your putter Dennis. Luke told me that after an injury his short game was the best it had ever been - because that's all he could do for a few months.

Halebopp

HCP
Local club/country
Irons
MP-H5/53/4
Driver
MP-650/ST180
Good luck with the surgery, Dennis!

DennisMiller

HCP
Old Age
Local club/country
Killian Greens Golf Club
Irons
MX-1000
Driver
ST-180
I had my surgery last Friday morning. The surgeon said everything went well and he even repaired a small rotator cuff tear, "at no extra charge"...

They gave me Percoset as a pain killer, but I gave that up on Sunday morning in favor of plain Tylenol. I couldn't stand the side effects from the Percoset and the difference in the pain my shoulder is feeling is so minimal I'm happier off the drug.

I got to take off the huge bandage yesterday. That thing looked like I'd had a full shoulder transplant, not just 3 little 1/2" incisions. My shoulder and arm are bruised in every color of the rainbow. It looks much worse than it feels.

I go to the surgeon this Thursday. morning. I suppose he'll take out the stitches and let me know what the rehab schedule will be. His offices include the therapy rooms where I'll go, which I like. He's always around, sticking his head in to see how you are doing.

His last comment to me at the surgical center was, "Your first golf game when you are ready is on me, but you still have to give me strokes..."

Everybody's a comedian...

Top Bottom