New Optimizer Numbers - What Shafts Now?

Bullroarer Took

HCP
Local club/country
Poplar Creek Golf Course
Irons
mx-200 5-LW
Driver
mx-700 10.5
So I've been seeing a pro and working on my swing and it has been paying dividends. Recently I went to a shop and swung the Optimizer club again and my numbers - particulary the release factor have changed. Unfortunately the software wasn't working, so I only have the numbers off of the shaft. The new numbers are:

Speed - 83
Tempo - 2
Toe - 3
Kick - 5
Release - 5 (Was 9)

What shaft(s) would be recommended with these numbers?

Also, I currently have the stock Dynalite XP R300 shaft but would really like to bring the ball flight down. I hit down on the ball steeply and play in a windy area. How much of a diference would I see switching to standard dynamic gold for example? Other recommendations?

MPX

Administrator
Staff member
HCP
Local club/country
UK
Irons
JPX919 Hot Metal Pro 4-PW (C Taper Lite stiff), T20 wedges chrome - 50 / 56
Driver
ST-Z driver, ST200x 3wood, ST200x 5 wood
Here you go.

Attachments

dazzer24

HCP
Local club/country
Withington Golf Club Manchester
Irons
mx300 Project x 5.0 3-PW,Fli Hi 2i, Callaway Razr X 2 Hy, Vokey wedges 52,56,60
Driver
Callaway Diablo Octane Black Tour 9.5 stiff, Ping G15 3 Wood
These were the top 2 shafts recommended to me after my session.
Must say though Im having a bit of difficulty in getting used to the Project x which was ultimately recommended based on lower spin rates with the 6 iron on the day.
I actually own a set with the dynalite shafts as well...long story.
I seem to be hitting most shots, longer irons especially, a bit chunky with the project x and the shaft seems to be a bit less lively. Perhaps that makes sense due to the higher kick point. Starting to be a bit concerned if Im honest as I was nailing the XP 3 iron virtually every time before I got the Project X's. It was felt the Project X would flatten out a bit more and get some more distance.
I've only played 3 or 4 rounds with them but feel like Im trying to find the right contact/right swing for the shafts-which cant be good. I'm going to take the XP's out again and see how I fair and if results are good I may visit NFC again for a check up before I decide which ones Im going to sell.
Will Mizuno accommodate this 're-test'?
Cheers
Darren

mjtoal

HCP
Local club/country
Bearwood Lakes, Berkshire
Irons
Mizuno MP4, C-taper S
Driver
Tirtleist 913D3, Oban Devotion
dazzer24 said:
These were the top 2 shafts recommended to me after my session.
Must say though Im having a bit of difficulty in getting used to the Project x which was ultimately recommended based on lower spin rates with the 6 iron on the day.
I actually own a set with the dynalite shafts as well...long story.
I seem to be hitting most shots, longer irons especially, a bit chunky with the project x and the shaft seems to be a bit less lively. Perhaps that makes sense due to the higher kick point. Starting to be a bit concerned if Im honest as I was nailing the XP 3 iron virtually every time before I got the Project X's. It was felt the Project X would flatten out a bit more and get some more distance.
I've only played 3 or 4 rounds with them but feel like Im trying to find the right contact/right swing for the shafts-which cant be good. I'm going to take the XP's out again and see how I fair and if results are good I may visit NFC again for a check up before I decide which ones Im going to sell.
Will Mizuno accommodate this 're-test'?
Cheers
Darren

PX is a very boardy feeling shaft, but I think that if you stick with it, it will come through. You might be misinterpreting the rather unsatisfactory feel, but the shafts do perform.

dazzer24

HCP
Local club/country
Withington Golf Club Manchester
Irons
mx300 Project x 5.0 3-PW,Fli Hi 2i, Callaway Razr X 2 Hy, Vokey wedges 52,56,60
Driver
Callaway Diablo Octane Black Tour 9.5 stiff, Ping G15 3 Wood
HI mjtoal
Thanks for that. Not about to throw the towel in just yet. I've heard that term, 'boardy', bandied around in relation to px's but never really knew what it meant to be honest! I guess it is just a very different feel. I've always played what I would describe as normal shafts before eg not rifles- just regular shafts with a normal lower kick point. I sometimes get a bit quick with the hands and release a bit too early. I imagine this might contribute to the dead feel at contact with px and might be less notable with a 'whippier', lower kick point shaft?
It's worth noting that I went to the range today and just hit some nice relaxed long irons and made much better contact.
Played a lot of golf just lately as well and maybe by upper back has tightened a little something I imagine wont help my timing.
I've just ordered a 'gokart' leccy trolley actually. Always been a carrier and thought it a bit lazy to trolley if you were 'young'(ish) and fit(ISH!). If I played 1 or 2 rounds a week carrying probably wouldnt have any effect but I'm lucky enough over the season to play 3,4 or 5 rounds a week.
Heard a pro say 2 things as well.
Get fit to play golf- dont play golf to get fit..
and
If you want to get fit for golf-go to the gym and dont carry!
We shall see!
Regards
Darren

Top Bottom