MR Y

HCP
Local club/country
DUNWOODIE / USA
Irons
MIZUNO 850
Driver
PING G 400 10
Thinking about purchasing 919 hot metal but would like a mixed set,5,6,7, HM 8,9,PW forged your thoughts.

MPX

Administrator
Staff member
HCP
Local club/country
UK
Irons
JPX919 Hot Metal Pro 4-PW (C Taper Lite stiff), T20 wedges chrome - 50 / 56
Driver
ST-Z driver, ST200x 3wood, ST200x 5 wood
Personal opinion - i think you could handle a 6 and 7 iron in the Forged. If the feel angle appeals., why stop at 8?

MrK20

Local club/country
Germany
Irons
Mizuno / MP 20 HMB; MP 20; T20 / 2; 3-9; 49, 54, 60, Nippon Modus 120 S
Driver
Mizuno / ST-Z / D, 3W, 5W / JPX900 22H / CLK 25H. MRC Diamana D+(D, 3W, 5W) , Fujikura SIX R(22), Fujikura Speeder Hb 85 (25)
I would try to see if I can get a hit - or at least a look - at the whole set from both ranges and see, where the confidence starts to drop away with the Forged. Me personally I would go for as many of the Forged as possible and maybe then even stop and go to something like the CLK or the new JPX Fli Hi, but that's just me.

WalkerCup

HCP
Scratch
Local club/country
British Isles
Irons
Mizuno JPX 921 Forged 4-PW KBS Tour 120 Stiff , 3 Deg up plus 1”
Driver
Ping G425 Max 10.5 HZRDS Blue Stiff
I would try to see if I can get a hit - or at least a look - at the whole set from both ranges and see, where the confidence starts to drop away with the Forged. Me personally I would go for as many of the Forged as possible and maybe then even stop and go to something like the CLK or the new JPX Fli Hi, but that's just me.
Ditto! Sounds perfect sense to me too.

MR Y

HCP
Local club/country
DUNWOODIE / USA
Irons
MIZUNO 850
Driver
PING G 400 10
I never thought I would say this but i feel the HM are going to far, I will probably dial them back 1 degree, the forged are absolutely outstanding, picked up about 7 yards on the forged, ridiculous yardage with the HM.

DennisMiller

HCP
Old Age
Local club/country
Killian Greens Golf Club
Irons
MX-1000
Driver
ST-180
I don't know much about metallurgy or club design, but when I went to the 900 Hot Metal irons, i got back about 10 yards with each club that I'd lost with age. There is something seriously right with the Hot Metal irons. And I've heard a lot of people say the 919 Hot Metals are even better than my 900s.

MR Y

HCP
Local club/country
DUNWOODIE / USA
Irons
MIZUNO 850
Driver
PING G 400 10
OK Today I finally had a chance to get on a course instead of hitting balls off a mat, OMG in my life have have never hit shots like these clubs allow me to do. With my 850s my 7 iron would get me 145 150 on rollout, today i hit my 7 160 to 163 on a fly, my 5 iron went 190 to 193 unbelievable, guys I'm 71 years old in fairly good shape but these clubs are crazy long and high. I went for HM in 5,6,and 7 went with forged 8,9,PW PICKED UP ABOUT 7 TO 8 YARDS with them.Best clubs I have ever hit.

Coachleach

HCP
Local club/country
Cypress Bend Golf Resort/United States
Irons
Mizuno/JPX 919 Forged/4-GW
Driver
Taylormade/Sim Max/10.5**/Fujikura Pro 2.0
I just recently purchased a set of Mizuno JPX 919 Hotmetal Irons, 5-SW, and they are a fantastic set of clubs. I love the clean looks of the irons and they have a really nice head shape. Can't go wrong if you decide to get get a full set of hotmetals. Good luck in your decision.

DennisMiller

HCP
Old Age
Local club/country
Killian Greens Golf Club
Irons
MX-1000
Driver
ST-180
Some years ago, Nike made a handsome set of irons that were planned to be a mixed set with long irons that were like game improvement styles and short irons that had muscle backs. The mid irons were a combination of a muscle in a cavity. I always thought that was a pretty good idea and I've wondered why more companies didn't make something similar.

LOS

Local club/country
England
Some years ago, Nike made a handsome set of irons that were planned to be a mixed set with long irons that were like game improvement styles and short irons that had muscle backs. The mid irons were a combination of a muscle in a cavity. I always thought that was a pretty good idea and I've wondered why more companies didn't make something similar.
Like Drivers distance has become the marketing push for irons to the masses so manufacturers are more interested in providing stronger lofts and longer shafts so Joe Bloggs can tell his mate that he hits his 7 iron as far as his mate's 5 iron.

Dennis as you occasionally ask about shaft lengths for clubs did you know TM changed the way thay measure theirs in 2018. See pg2.
https://www.taylormadegolf.co.uk/on...314198645/manuals/LengthMeasurementNotice.pdf

HCP
Local club/country
Compass Pointe/USA
Irons
JPX 900 Hot Metal 4-A
Driver
Srixon 565
I had the specs from my fitting of JPX919 Forged sitting in my inbox for about 8 months. Finally pulled the trigger 10 days ago, got the clubs 3 days ago and hve been out twice with them. Most recent outing, I was knocking down flag sticks, really loving the looks, feel and sound ofthese.

DennisMiller

HCP
Old Age
Local club/country
Killian Greens Golf Club
Irons
MX-1000
Driver
ST-180
Like Drivers distance has become the marketing push for irons to the masses so manufacturers are more interested in providing stronger lofts and longer shafts so Joe Bloggs can tell his mate that he hits his 7 iron as far as his mate's 5 iron.

Dennis as you occasionally ask about shaft lengths for clubs did you know TM changed the way thay measure theirs in 2018. See pg2.
https://www.taylormadegolf.co.uk/on...314198645/manuals/LengthMeasurementNotice.pdf
No, this is news to me. I'm not surprised though. TM seems to mess with specs any way they can to maintain a claim of being longest hitting clubs. I'm sure some of their technology is valid science, but I have very little respect for them as a company. Changing their flagship driver every 6 months nearly drove them into bankruptcy when retailers wouldn't take stock positions, knowing they couldn't make money on current models when new models came out every 6 months. The people who took over the company have never changed the marketing model that got the company in trouble and it wouldn't shock me at all if Taylormade goes the way of Nike in a few more years.

Unfortunately, there are some other companies who are following the longer is better model, but with some interesting technology that does help in other ways. For example, I'm currently playing a set of Ping G700 irons. The lofts are very strong, a 43* PW for instance. The thing is, the width and shape of the sole helps me get a ball out of the rough better than my 900 HM set and definitely better than my old Titleist DCI set. The other thing is, these irons are hollow and however they are weighted inside, they seem to give be better results on mishit shots than I've gotten from any of my other sets of irons. It's actually a shock to see where my ball goes when I feel a bad hit.

Nothing will ever feel as good as my Mizunos, but for the moment, until my game improves, I'll use the technology to my advantage.

BTW - My 4 iron is 40" long, so Taylormade ain't got nuthin on me. ;-)

Lastly, and on a totally opposite concept, I personally like the one length concept Cobra is selling. I wish other mainstream manufacturers would offer a set. I would love a well fitted set of Mizuno one length irons with something like an HM head. Cobra's offering doesn't seem to come in any longer shaft sizes, so one tall friend bought a set with steel shafts, burned them out and replaced them with graphite shafts an inch and a half longer. It created a lie about 2* upright, which suits him, but i haven't seen the finish set to see whether the change maintained the swingweight well enough to be effective.

I wonder what our clubs will look like in 10 years...???

SLD49

HCP
Local club/country
Everett Legion Memorial in USA
Irons
Callaway X-18, three thru PW
Driver
Cobra F speed
No, this is news to me. I'm not surprised though. TM seems to mess with specs any way they can to maintain a claim of being longest hitting clubs. I'm sure some of their technology is valid science, but I have very little respect for them as a company. Changing their flagship driver every 6 months nearly drove them into bankruptcy when retailers wouldn't take stock positions, knowing they couldn't make money on current models when new models came out every 6 months. The people who took over the company have never changed the marketing model that got the company in trouble and it wouldn't shock me at all if Taylormade goes the way of Nike in a few more years.

Unfortunately, there are some other companies who are following the longer is better model, but with some interesting technology that does help in other ways. For example, I'm currently playing a set of Ping G700 irons. The lofts are very strong, a 43* PW for instance. The thing is, the width and shape of the sole helps me get a ball out of the rough better than my 900 HM set and definitely better than my old Titleist DCI set. The other thing is, these irons are hollow and however they are weighted inside, they seem to give be better results on mishit shots than I've gotten from any of my other sets of irons. It's actually a shock to see where my ball goes when I feel a bad hit.

Nothing will ever feel as good as my Mizunos, but for the moment, until my game improves, I'll use the technology to my advantage.

BTW - My 4 iron is 40" long, so Taylormade ain't got nuthin on me. ;-)

Lastly, and on a totally opposite concept, I personally like the one length concept Cobra is selling. I wish other mainstream manufacturers would offer a set. I would love a well fitted set of Mizuno one length irons with something like an HM head. Cobra's offering doesn't seem to come in any longer shaft sizes, so one tall friend bought a set with steel shafts, burned them out and replaced them with graphite shafts an inch and a half longer. It created a lie about 2* upright, which suits him, but i haven't seen the finish set to see whether the change maintained the swingweight well enough to be effective.

I wonder what our clubs will look like in 10 years...???
I agree about lofts and swingweights.
I am 71 and cannot hit anything with swingweight less than D0, especially in longer irons.
The club just flies out beyond ball and I get a mishit.
Also don't understand the fascination with strong lofts. If you can't get the ball in the air,
you're in trouble. Also makes it hard to hold greens in summer.
I have an 15 year old set of Callawy X-18 irons and they are better than 90 % of what is sold today.
The only clus I found that are better and more consistent are the JPX 919 and 921.
Thanks for letting me gripe.

Top Bottom