Napa 9001

Steve Smith

Local club/country
Newcastle upon tyne
It is a thing of beauty.

I watched the 77 Open, Duel in the Sun on You Tube.

Most of the players using Napa style.

It seemed they liked that on fast links greens, a lot more feel, like blades.

Seve had just got out of Spanish National service and was using an original Ping Anser. Trevino ... Napa... Watson... RAM napa.... Nicklaus... the George Low... rather an ugly thing

Crenshaw using the classic Wilson 8802 the original, his Masters winber. Fat Lefty Phil used a Yonex Napa with graphite shaft for a long time.

Being totally loyal and loving Mizuno I want to find a 9001 Napa.

Anyone have one in mint nick??

Maybe Mizuno could reissue it?

Perfect for links greens

Any thoughts peeps ??

🥰🥰🥰🥰

PaulBoy

HCP
WHS 7.0
Local club/country
Army GC
Irons
Mizuno Pro 223 (4-AW) Modus3 120s
Driver
Titleist TSi2 Graphite Design Tour AD XC-50s
Good luck trying to find a Mizuno 9001 Napa? - They are as rare as rocking horse droppings! - I learned early on that Napa style putters were not for me - Much as I would like to putt like Ben Crenshaw (surely one of the best strokes of all time, much as it hurts to say so!) a smooth pendulum stroke is required for the Napa (& any heel shafted putter ime) - Not really suitable for my arced stroke where heel & toe weighting helps me keep relatively sane!
Paul

Steve Smith

Local club/country
Newcastle upon tyne
Most amateurs have an arc, nowt wrong with that. Seve was one of the greatest ever putters and had a very pronounced arc. Great for feel and distance control but the problem starts when you get to about 6 feet in. Then you rely on keeping it all very still. That is why the great putters lose it when they get older, even the great mechanical Watson.
Technically, Nicklaus and Woods were terrible short putters but their mental strength meant they got it in under pressure.

Rose is one of the best short putters ever. Straight back and through, as was Sir Nick.

I disagree about the Napa not favouring an arc Paul. I have one by MD and the sweet spot is very near the heel. It depends upon toe or heel hang.

My gamer a Miz Bettinardi C01 cut to 33, very thin Winn grip, dont like fat grips and hangs 45 degree toe down. It is not the most forgiving or big sweet spot but I have worked hard to stop body and head movement, take out the wrists and the results speak for themselves. Gone from 37.6 to 32.2 in a year on our tricky greens. She is a beaut 😀😀

Top Bottom