HCP
Local club/country
Ireland
Irons
MIZUNO MP52, S300 SHAFTS
Driver
TAYLORMADE M3
Hi Guys,
I'm hoping somebody out there can help me in a search for similar Mizuno Irons to upgrade my current MP52's. I have tested quite a few over the past 12 months but unfortunately NOTHING can come close to the affection and trust I have in my MP52's!! I know they are many many years old but since I bought them (second hand) my golf game is a lot more consistent and enjoyable.. I bought a set of MP5's but I think I loved them so much aesthetically that I was slow to admit that, drifting between 11 and 12 handicap regularly, I was neither talented or consistant enough when playing with them to switch to them from my trusty MP52's. I am financially unable to go and get custom fitted, which is the obvious step, but what I am interested in is once again dipping into the used Mizuno Irons pool for a club that is very similar, but much newer than my current MP52 Dual Muscle Back with S300 Shafts. Would really appreciate any advice if any of you guys can offer some.
Thanks in advance,
Gerry

Halebopp

HCP
Local club/country
Lakeside Golf Vammala, Finland
Irons
MP-H5/53/4
Driver
MP-650/ST180
You should definitely look at MP-54s in my opinion, a two generations younger version of the 54s (why not even the 53s, the model in between). A slightly newer option, offering similar characteristics would be the MP-25s.

A couple of examples:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/MIZUNO-MP-...999555?hash=item23cf5044c3:g:0m0AAOSwMIVeJDsc

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Mizuno-MP2...167847?hash=item341dbc20e7:g:YqIAAOSw675eE2d1

Also, if you browse GolfBidder and the club head is rated as 7 or better, you won't be disappointed when you get your hands on the clubs.

https://www.golfbidder.co.uk/clubbrand/MZ/3/Mizuno_iron_set.html

HCP
Local club/country
Ireland
Irons
MIZUNO MP52, S300 SHAFTS
Driver
TAYLORMADE M3
You should definitely look at MP-54s in my opinion, a two generations younger version of the 54s (why not even the 53s, the model in between). A slightly newer option, offering similar characteristics would be the MP-25s.

A couple of examples:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/MIZUNO-MP-...999555?hash=item23cf5044c3:g:0m0AAOSwMIVeJDsc

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Mizuno-MP2...167847?hash=item341dbc20e7:g:YqIAAOSw675eE2d1

Also, if you browse GolfBidder and the club head is rated as 7 or better, you won't be disappointed when you get your hands on the clubs.

https://www.golfbidder.co.uk/clubbrand/MZ/3/Mizuno_iron_set.html
Thank you very much for taking the time to offer that advice. Really appreciate it and will look into your recommendation!!!!

PaulBoy

HCP
WHS 7.0
Local club/country
Army GC
Irons
Mizuno Pro 223 (4-AW) Modus3 120s
Driver
Titleist TSi2 Graphite Design Tour AD XC-50s
Hi Gerry ... When I found my way back to Mizuno I bought MP52's & played them for a couple of seasons - Sadly I am a "serial club upgrader" (I know, it's an illness!) and since them have had several sets of Mizuno MP irons - I agree with the reply above from Halebopp that 53's & 54's would work for you & that the 25's would also fit the bill if budget allowed - You mentioned MP5's which I also tried & had a similar experience to your own (really loved the look of them, but wasn't too consistent with them) - You could look for a "combo" set with blades in the short irons / cavity in the long irons - I had a set like that (MP4 / MP25) & probably would still be using them if I hadn't tried the JPX900 Tours & now the JPX919 Tours, which I believe are the perfect marriage of blade & cavity in a single club - Highly recommend you consider 900's or 919's although the latter still command a hefty used price?
Good luck with the search & keep us posted with your progress
Paul
PS - As a Co Antrim man I'd be interested to know where in "Ireland" you are?

HCP
Local club/country
Ireland
Irons
MIZUNO MP52, S300 SHAFTS
Driver
TAYLORMADE M3
Hi Paul,
Thanks for you input, I really appreciate it. I was hoping that JPX900 Tours would pop up in the recommendations as I hit them once in a Golf Store range and liked them but the guy working there also let me hit the MP5's. It was unlucky for me that on the day, in the testing area, I hit the MP5'S really well and opted for them over the JPX900 Tour's.. I have had this idea that they are both for consistently good hitters and so didn't chase anymore after my experience with the MP'5s when I got them. I must try the JPX 900's again after your recommendation.. Mixed sets must be a bit of a gamble though or are they??
I'm from Cork by the way!
Thanks again,
Gerry

Halebopp

HCP
Local club/country
Irons
MP-H5/53/4
Driver
MP-650/ST180
Thank you very much for taking the time to offer that advice. Really appreciate it and will look into your recommendation!!!!
You're welcome! Shopping for golf gear is always fun and doing it for others is quite a bit cheaper than for yourself. :)

PaulBoy

HCP
WHS 7.0
Local club/country
Army GC
Irons
Driver
Hi Paul,
Thanks for you input, I really appreciate it. I was hoping that JPX900 Tours would pop up in the recommendations as I hit them once in a Golf Store range and liked them but the guy working there also let me hit the MP5's. It was unlucky for me that on the day, in the testing area, I hit the MP5'S really well and opted for them over the JPX900 Tour's.. I have had this idea that they are both for consistently good hitters and so didn't chase anymore after my experience with the MP'5s when I got them. I must try the JPX 900's again after your recommendation.. Mixed sets must be a bit of a gamble though or are they??
I'm from Cork by the way!
Thanks again,
Gerry
No mixed sets are not a gamble at all - Mizuno realise this & all their recent sets (like the MP20) are designed to be mixed in the way I describe - Having short iron blades is better for control & cavities in the long irons is a real bonus imho ...
Paul

HCP
Local club/country
Ireland
Irons
MIZUNO MP52, S300 SHAFTS
Driver
TAYLORMADE M3
With a Mixed Set, are you suggesting for example, having MP5 7,8,9,PW and something like JPX900 Tour 4,5.6.. I don't mean these sets specifically but you'll understand my suggestion. And if that is the case, are you suggesting buying the individual irons separately? Where can that be done if at all?

PaulBoy

HCP
WHS 7.0
Local club/country
Army GC
Irons
Driver
With a Mixed Set, are you suggesting for example, having MP5 7,8,9,PW and something like JPX900 Tour 4,5.6.. I don't mean these sets specifically but you'll understand my suggestion. And if that is the case, are you suggesting buying the individual irons separately? Where can that be done if at all?
You get my drift Gerry! - The Combo set I had was a full set of MP4 irons to which I added 4,5 & 6 MP25 irons which I bought as single clubs - So I just didn't use the MP4 4,5 & 6 irons - When I sold them, I sold them all together, but I could have sold the MP4's on their own & the MP25's singly or together? - You will find combo / mixed sets for sale (ebay etc) or you can make up your own? - As I mentioned new MP20's & JPX919 irons are sold on a regular basis as Combo sets, mixing the MP20 muscle back with the MP20 MMC or HMB - Likewise the JPX919 range can be mixed between the Tour / Forged / Hot Metal / Hot Metal Pro
Hope this helps explain?
Paul

HCP
Local club/country
Ireland
Irons
MIZUNO MP52, S300 SHAFTS
Driver
TAYLORMADE M3
You get my drift Gerry! - The Combo set I had was a full set of MP4 irons to which I added 4,5 & 6 MP25 irons which I bought as single clubs - So I just didn't use the MP4 4,5 & 6 irons - When I sold them, I sold them all together, but I could have sold the MP4's on their own & the MP25's singly or together? - You will find combo / mixed sets for sale (ebay etc) or you can make up your own? - As I mentioned new MP20's & JPX919 irons are sold on a regular basis as Combo sets, mixing the MP20 muscle back with the MP20 MMC or HMB - Likewise the JPX919 range can be mixed between the Tour / Forged / Hot Metal / Hot Metal Pro
Hope this helps explain?
Paul
I will definitely look into that.
Thanks again Paul!

Halebopp

HCP
Local club/country
Irons
MP-H5/53/4
Driver
MP-650/ST180
The opposing view to split sets is that if the easier set actually does provide better results, why would you use something more difficult in the short irons? Those are the clubs you should be using the most often for your approach shots if you're playing a course at a correct length.

PaulBoy

HCP
WHS 7.0
Local club/country
Army GC
Irons
Driver
The opposing view to split sets is that if the easier set actually does provide better results, why would you use something more difficult in the short irons? Those are the clubs you should be using the most often for your approach shots if you're playing a course at a correct length.
The opposing view to your opposing view (!) is that it is easier to shape / hit lower trajectory shots with a more bladey iron than a full cavity back - FWIW I play a lot of shots from just over 100y (down to @ 20y) with the PW of my 919 irons & I can flight these really well, almost as well as with a blade (imho the 919 PW is like a blade with just a touch of forgiveness)
Paul

Top Bottom