Oli

HCP
Local club/country
Ennetsee, Switzerland
Irons
Mizuno MP53 P-4 / H4 2-3 / T5 56 & 52
Driver
Mizuno JPX 850
Went through an intensive fitting yesterday and finally ended up with MP18 MMC and Project X LZ 5.5, which
has 115 g. 

The values club head speed, ball speed + dispersion have been best by far with this shaft and head compared to Nippon Modus 105 R, KBS Tour 90 R and my own Nippon 950 R with MP 53 (which were fitted end 2010).

So I will be going from Nippon 950 to PX LZ 5.5. Later at home I read, that many people buy the project X shafts with a wrong, too hard flex. I realized that 5.5 is a Regular+ or firm flex and with my club head speed of 76 mph with 6 iron, this could be a bit too much according to theory. On top I realized that there is a 5 - flex with 110 g, which wasn't available during the fitting.

Would you just trust and go with what you have been fitted - or try the lighter flex 5.0 version?
Any experiences with this LZ shaft in regards of flex?

By the way - the MMC werde by far the best head for me. Topped Hot Metal, 900 forged and AP2 by far. Second best was Erixon 565, which were almost on my MP53 level.

Thanks for your feedback/opinion.

DMT

HCP
Local club/country
Celtic Manor
Irons
JPX Tour 919 (5-PW) 50, 54 and 60 degree Vokeys
Driver
Ping G 10.5 Tour Stiff
When you say "try the lighter flex 5.0" do you mean demo or purchase them?

Personal opinion would be if you're unhappy / unsure then try and demo the shaft to put your mind at rest.  If the shaft still isn't available perhaps talk to the fitter and (s)he may be able to reassure you re the one you hit in the fitting.

Do you feel like there could be more improvement over the 5.5? 

Nice choice re MMC.....I haven't bought yet but also had good numbers when I tried them. 

WalkerCup

HCP
Scratch
Local club/country
British Isles
Irons
Mizuno JPX 921 Forged 4-PW KBS Tour 120 Stiff , 3 Deg up plus 1”
Driver
Ping G425 Max 10.5 HZRDS Blue Stiff
The original Project X iron shafts had a more severe bend profile than the LZ version, having played numerous shafts and playing a full two seasons with Project X 6.5 which were borderline a flex too much, I would defiantly say that the LZ 6.0 ai use in my current irons are like an S200 whilst the original project X 6.0 are more like an S400 /S500 .  So really the Project X LZ  probably play half a flex softer so an LZ 5.5 is more like an R500 / soft stepped S100.

If you pull the trigger on the 5.5 s you'll have less chance of the ball going left , maybe more chance missing right of the green. Any doubt check in with your professional before ordering.  Remember golf clubs are only expensive when you buy the wrong ones!

Kgrove

HCP
Local club/country
USA
Irons
MP5 4-PW KBS Tour 90, MPH5 2-iron, Titleist 716 T-MB 3-iron
Driver
JPX-900 w/ 569 shaft
Conventional wisdom is that lighter flexing clubs can introduce more dispersion in your shots and in extreme cases add the occasional snap hook. I have to say that at least when comparing adjacent flexes (like comparing a regular and stiff), I have rarely if ever been able to see an obvious difference in shot results. I'm not saying the conventional wisdom is wrong, but instead am saying that the difference might be so subtle in comparing a 5.0 and 5.5 that you will have trouble measuring it.

My guess is you will notice bigger differences in feel than in actual shot results. This could go one of two ways - the softer flex shaft might feel too whippy and soft so it destroys your confidence, or it might translate a smoother more pleasing feel on impact. It really depends on your swing and your perception of what your hit should feel like. 

Most importantly, I'd do everything you can to try and test these shafts against each other if you can. I doubt you'll find much of a performance difference between the shafts you're talking about (same model, just different flexes), but there is a fair chance it could change your enjoyment of your clubs (i.e., I doubt your scores will differ depending on which shaft you select, but the degree you fall in love with your irons could change).

Kgrove

HCP
Local club/country
USA
Irons
MP5 4-PW KBS Tour 90, MPH5 2-iron, Titleist 716 T-MB 3-iron
Driver
JPX-900 w/ 569 shaft
Conventional wisdom is that lighter flexing clubs can introduce more dispersion in your shots and in extreme cases add the occasional snap hook. I have to say that at least when comparing adjacent flexes (like comparing a regular and stiff), I have rarely if ever been able to see an obvious difference in shot results. I'm not saying the conventional wisdom is wrong, but instead am saying that the difference might be so subtle in comparing a 5.0 and 5.5 that you will have trouble measuring it.

My guess is you will notice bigger differences in feel than in actual shot results. This could go one of two ways - the softer flex shaft might feel too whippy and soft so it destroys your confidence, or it might translate a smoother more pleasing feel on impact. It really depends on your swing and your perception of what your hit should feel like. 

Most importantly, I'd do everything you can to try and test these shafts against each other if you can. I doubt you'll find much of a performance difference between the shafts you're talking about (same model, just different flexes), but there is a fair chance it could change your enjoyment of your clubs (i.e., I doubt your scores will differ depending on which shaft you select, but the degree you fall in love with your irons could change).

Oli

HCP
Local club/country
Ennetsee, Switzerland
Irons
Mizuno MP53 P-4 / H4 2-3 / T5 56 & 52
Driver
Mizuno JPX 850
Thanks for your Feedback. Wenn with 5.5 flex - much better dispersion. Should geht them in a week :)
and will report. Cheers, Oli

Top Bottom