MP-64 to JPX921 Forged Troubles

HCP
Local club/country
United States
Irons
JPX921 Forged
Driver
Tilteist
My 1st set of Mizuno irons were the MP-32's, then to the MP-64's, then this spring I got fitted for the JPX921 forged. The 32's and the 64's were both shafted with True Tempered S300 and my ball flight was very low. So with with the 921 I wanted a shaft that would give my more height so I went with the Project X LZ 5.5's. Originally I was going to go with the 921 Tours but when hitting the Forged I was getting more carry so I decided to go with them. I am usually around a 4 handicap but since getting the new irons I'm playing more like a 10. I am not hitting them crisp, a lot of the time its heavy that i'm hitting them. I wondering if its the combination of a heavier head and a little bit lighter shaft that giving me problems. I've never had an issue when getting new irons, and I just can't get used to these. I'm wondering if I should exchange them for new set of MP's where the swing weight of the heads are lighter, and more what I'm used too. Has anyone else made a switch like this and had an issue?

HCP
Local club/country
United Kingdom
Irons
JPX 921 Forged 5 - PW Project X shafts LZ steel 5.5
Driver
Calaway XR Regular shaft 9 deg
Ted - I have just had my first round with a new fitted set of JPX forged irons with Project X LZ steel 5.5 shafts. I got around in 80 which is a low round for my handicap. I noticed an immediate difference in the soft and punchy feel with this combination. I am well over 70 and can only manage a swing speed of 90 - 95mph nowadays. But did find the accuracy and distance to be excellent. The ball flight was high and penetrating and my fitter said the Project X shafts were between regular and stiff.
My previous clubs were Mizuno MX25 with True Temper Dynamic Gold SL shafts. Hope this is helpful.

Top Bottom