MP-18 custom build. (Swing weight questions)

jaytea29

HCP
Local club/country
Amana Golf Club (Iowa)
Irons
Mizuno Mp18 3-PW
Driver
Titleist Tsi4 atmos black 7x
Looking at ordering an iron set at some point. Probably after the 22's release. But had some questions about building a custom set. Mizuno's site mentions that they offer lighter heads which can be used to make the SWs to a standard balance up to +1/2" longer. (It doesn't say anything about heavier heads for shorter builds though.) It also says on the site that irons can be built from 1" shorter to 1.5" longer. I'm trying to explore whether or not the build i have below would be able to be successfully built without alot of significant issues. (I'm mainly interested in the swing weights being able to be acheived. I know i can always add a bit of lead tape if needed, cause this build would tend to create lower swing weights than standard unless heavy heads were available). See below for the build in an MP-18. Would this be doable?

1628884606755.png

MTR

HCP
f0re
Local club/country
EU
Irons
MP-9-11-14-29-37-20
B type heads are about 7g lighter than the std ones so that should give you an idea what is possible, depending on the chosen shafts weight and balance. Some past models had a +6g heavier head option for use with graphite shafts, but I'm not sure if that is still the case. Odd length progression BTW, for what reason? And why those particular SW numbers? Without shaft & grip they are basically meaningless. You can make a straw and a telephone pole balance at D2 ;)

jaytea29

HCP
Local club/country
Amana Golf Club (Iowa)
Irons
Mizuno Mp18 3-PW
Driver
Yes I agree on all accounts. Shafts would be Project X 6.5 (Hard-Step) and Grips were MCC Midsize, for slightly more background. The length projection is based off a custom fitting intended to get a player in a similar athletic position for each iron to minimize variance. Swing weight numbers are just the feel I like from experimentation and are relatively close to standard. I think standard off the rack sets are odd to be honest.....long irons generally too long and short irons too short. (Not by much). But the geometry is a little off. I'd prefer the clubs to fit me as opposed to me adjusting to fit the clubs.

MTR

HCP
f0re
Local club/country
EU
Irons
MP-9-11-14-29-37-20
Quite a bit of weight there, but if you mix 'nd match the A/B-head weights you should be able to get there. I prefer lead tape over tip weights, but that's just me. Questionable if any OEM will attempt such a build through their regular sales channel, but since you're working of a fitting plan your fitter knows the exact head weights needed. I agree fully on the odd standard specs and always fit shortest and longest iron on its own and 'flow' in the rest. More often than not that results in relatively longer short irons and shorter long irons. Have you tried 3/8" steps from short irons up? If you weight sort the shafts you can get an MOI balanced set with 'stock' head weight gaps (7dg) and each should feel the same in motion while keeping a comfortable address position throughout.

jaytea29

HCP
Local club/country
Amana Golf Club (Iowa)
Irons
Mizuno Mp18 3-PW
Driver
I have not tried exploring the 3/8" steps from the short irons up. I would definitely be interested in exploring an MOI matched set. You called out my issue specifically without really knowing it though. The custom fitter I worked with didn't have the ability to order/put together a set for me, so it's sort of left up to me to try and pursue alternative channels to order through. Being in Iowa is challenging find people I can work with that can provide the service I'm looking for. I don't really have enough resources to know what my best option is to obtain a custom order that resembles whats mentioned above. I'm really looking to wait and something like this done for the MP-22s release next year.

MTR

HCP
f0re
Local club/country
EU
Irons
MP-9-11-14-29-37-20
That sucks, but at least you can work with a fitter to dial in the component specs before ordering and adjust the fit after purchase. There was a Miura fitter in Cedar Falls, but I'm not sure if he is still there and if he works with Mizzy. I don't know him personally, but he should have at least some MOI expertise. My 2ct would be to determine basic specs by adjusting your current 18s and err on the lighter side when ordering. You can lead tape 'm to proper spec yourself. PM me if you need help on that.

Top Bottom