MP 18 - Blade vs SC

rt_charger

Local club/country
Australia
So I'm looking a set of MP18s, was initially thinking of getting the SCs but the look of the blade appeals to me more, plus I've heard stories about tge SCs being notoriously hard to hit? Is there any truth to this or not. Thanks

Brattz

HCP
Pro
Local club/country
Derby Golf Centre
Irons
Mizuno JPX 919 Tour (4-PW) - Project X LZ 6.5 120g - 0.5° Flat - 1/2"+
Driver
Titleist TS3 - HC Project X LZ17 6.5 60g, 9.5°, A1 - 11g

PaulBoy

HCP
WHS 7.0
Local club/country
Army GC
Irons
Mizuno Pro 223 (4-AW) Modus3 120s
Driver
Titleist TSi2 Graphite Design Tour AD XC-50s
So I'm looking a set of MP18s, was initially thinking of getting the SCs but the look of the blade appeals to me more, plus I've heard stories about tge SCs being notoriously hard to hit? Is there any truth to this or not. Thanks
I had a "combo" set of 18's with SC 4,5,6,7 & Blade 8,9,PW - I had no problem hitting the SC? - Unfortunately I took a bit of a gamble on the shafts that were fitted to the set & didn't play them for too long (yes I know, always get fitted!)
Paul
PS - As a dyed in the wool MP player, I have JPX900 Tours now & have no plans to go back to MP''s

HCP
Local club/country
Knole Park
Irons
MP5, S300, 1* flat, 2* strong
Driver
Ping G400 8.5*, HZRDUS X-Stiff
My 2p worth seeing as I'm just about to order a MP18 combo set.
I got fitted 2 days ago, had my heart set on the JPX919 Tours, no doubt they are great clubs and I was impressed (currently gaming MP5's), but for me, the MP's have the edge.
I hit the SC's and was amazed, these are the real deal.

I am going 4-8 in the SC's and 9 and PW in the 18 blade.

The SC's are not difficult to hit in my opinion. Was hitting the 6 iron and finding the middle of the club more often than not but even slight mishits were fine. Not a huge amount of yardage drop off.

Hope that helps,
Ian

PS Basically JPX or MP's you can't go wrong - I have hit dozens of irons and always always come back to Mizuno, the only thing close is Srixon.

HCP
Local club/country
Knole Park
Irons
Driver
PPS I should mention the shaft gadget recommended Project X LZ 6.5 and I'm always been a S300 man. Night and day the difference, Project X wins hands down. Just need to get my order in today so I can get them in time for my game at Walton Heath in a few weeks.

rt_charger

Local club/country
Australia
My 2p worth seeing as I'm just about to order a MP18 combo set.
I got fitted 2 days ago, had my heart set on the JPX919 Tours, no doubt they are great clubs and I was impressed (currently gaming MP5's), but for me, the MP's have the edge.
I hit the SC's and was amazed, these are the real deal.

I am going 4-8 in the SC's and 9 and PW in the 18 blade.

The SC's are not difficult to hit in my opinion. Was hitting the 6 iron and finding the middle of the club more often than not but even slight mishits were fine. Not a huge amount of yardage drop off.

Hope that helps,
Ian

PS Basically JPX or MP's you can't go wrong - I have hit dozens of irons and always always come back to Mizuno, the only thing close is Srixon.
Yea thanks for the reply. I've just heard some funky things like how the maltby playability score rates the sc as the hardest to hit mizuno iron there is. I'm thinking of SC 4 and 5 (not playing 3 iron and going to 2.5 iron fly hi). I just like the look of a blade vs the JPX - bit too busy for me on the back, and not enough benefits to overcome the mental perception.

HCP
Local club/country
Knole Park
Irons
Driver
For me the blade was harder, not bad in the short irons, but I'm not sure I fancy a 4 iron over water with the blade!!

For me the MP range fits my eye better.

Good luck,
Ian

Brattz

HCP
Pro
Local club/country
Derby Golf Centre
Irons
Mizuno JPX 919 Tour (4-PW) - Project X LZ 6.5 120g - 0.5° Flat - 1/2"+
Driver
Titleist TS3 - HC Project X LZ17 6.5 60g, 9.5°, A1 - 11g
PPS I should mention the shaft gadget recommended Project X LZ 6.5 and I'm always been a S300 man. Night and day the difference, Project X wins hands down. Just need to get my order in today so I can get them in time for my game at Walton Heath in a few weeks.
I was same!!! Had S400 (135g) shafts for over 10 years. Latest fitting for JPX919 tours said PX LZ 6.0.... flight is tremendous with them

Bonobobananas

HCP
Local club/country
England
Irons
Titleist T100s 😬
Driver
TM Stealth 2+
I found the blades just as easy to hit as the SCs and they feel a lot nicer. Have the MMC flihis in 3 and 5 irons and they are also cracking. The MP-18 blades are easy to hit and give great feedback. I went from MP32s to MX200s, through MP59s to JPX900 forged. I wouldn’t go back to the shovels now, these forgiving blades are the way forwards.

Hatch

HCP
Local club/country
Osan AB, South Korea
Irons
MP-15 Black IP/5-PW/Modus 3 105/MMC Fli-Hi 3-4/C Taper Lite
Driver
2017 TM M2 9.5 HZRDUS Yellow
Late to the party here but you can easily combo the MP-18 series. I have 3/4 Fli Hi w/ 5-P in the MB. I like the Fli Hi so much that I ordered the 5/6 (6 only in the States maybe?) to actually test on the course vs the 5/6 MB. If you bend either the MB/SC strong or the Fli HI/MMC weak, you get the same offset as the other series. In other words, 3.5 sets can be seamlessly integrated into 1 combo set with the loft and offset progression as you would have in a single model set. As far as I know, no one else does this. I was a long time Titleist user and I've switched to MP-18s for this reason.

Top Bottom