+1
Local club/country
United States
Irons
Mizuno mp-14
Driver
Taylormade sim max
Hi,

I have a newish set of mp-14's that I've had laying around and was going to get them setup for some tournament golf. I was wondering if they conformed to usga groove rules. I had always thought so but I just received an email from Mizuno USA saying the mp-14s were v grooves and do not conform. Is this true? Thanks for any info.

LOS

Local club/country
England
If they are not listed in the USGA database then they have probably never been tested and to confirm one way or another you would need to send your set to the USGA for testing for conformation.
If you wish to play in elite tournaments, non high level pro, I suggest you contact one of the tournament commitees to see what their "Conditions of Competition" are and if you need to go ahead and have them tested.

MTR

HCP
f0re
Local club/country
EU
Irons
MP-9-11-14-29-37-20
If the 'condition of competition' is in effect, the club is required to conform to the 2010 groove specifications - but it does not have to be included on the database. If the club in question is a pre-2010 model and it is not included on the database, then it is the player’s responsibility to ascertain the status of that club.
AFAIK the MP14 has conforming grooves, but has never been submitted for testing. You can contact USGA/R&A to find out it's status.

Utahgolf

HCP
+1
Local club/country
United States
Irons
Mizuno mp-14
Driver
Taylormade sim max
Appreciate the replies. I will contact the usga. I have a friend that will loan me his mp-4's for next week. I should prob just buy a new set of 4's or check out the new mp 20's. I didn't hear great things about the mp-18s... But I think the mp-14 was the best model Mizuno has made, the look and feel of them still is better then the newer models. But everyone has their own opinion I guess.

MTR

HCP
f0re
Local club/country
EU
Irons
MP-9-11-14-29-37-20
With you on that, ultimately I had to let go of my MP14/29s as they had no grooves left. 20's definitely feel better to me than both 37 & 18.

Top Bottom