Jonny M

HCP
Local club/country
Essex
Irons
MP18-SC 4-PW; MMC FLI_HI 2 Iron; MP T7 50, 55, 60
Driver
Driver: Titleist 915 D3; 3W: TM M3
Hi, been a long while since I've been on the mizzy forum (went to the dark side with another manufacturer - sorry!) but glad to be back.

Anyway, to cut a long story short, been fitted for a new set of irons (MP18 / MP18-sc combi set) with kbs tour x shafts. All fine, but also want a mmc fli-hi rather than a hybrid and mizzy fitter had no heads to test with shafts.

Really want a 2-iron with a graphite shaft, but the mizuno options are a bit floppy for me. Any suggestions?? Cheers

PaulBoy

HCP
WHS 7.0
Local club/country
Army GC
Irons
Mizuno Pro 223 (4-AW) Modus3 120s
Driver
Titleist TSi2 Graphite Design Tour AD XC-50s
Welcome back from the dark side! - You're right that Mizuno Custom Fit for the MMC Fli-Hi is a bit lacking for graphite (I could only see 2x options?) - I have the MMC Fli-Hi 4 iron & it has the same shaft as the rest of my irons (CTL Stiff) - This works well for me, but if you are after a 2 iron with graphite shaft I presume you want to use it more as a driving iron rather than having a matched set of irons from 2 - PW? - If you look at other oem driving iron specs the Project X Hzrdus shaft looks a popular choice - Good luck ... Paul

Jonny M

HCP
Local club/country
Essex
Irons
Driver
Cheers PaulBoy, you kind of hit the nail on the head - yes I want the 2 iron with graphite as a driving iron but also to fill the gap somewhat between 4 iron and 3 wood. Currently using Titleist 816 H2 but I've improved a lot over the last couple of years (down to 1, briefly 0) and also gained quite a a bit of clubhead speed, so now I really struggle to keep the flight down with a hybrid (even the low launch head with a 95 g x-flex shaft).

I've tried a friend's H5 1 iron and have no problem launching it from the deck and can also flight it from the tee, so an iron style hybrid seems the way to go, I'm just left bemused by Mizuno's feeble graphite options - even if they did the Project X LZ tour in an x-flew (which they don't!!) I'd probably be happy with that. Seems that the real issue with the 18mmc fli hi is that the hosel is .355 bore, so you can't fit a .370 hybrid shaft into it!!

Guess the only options are from the dark side- unless anyone else has any suggestions

PaulBoy

HCP
WHS 7.0
Local club/country
Army GC
Irons
Driver
A couple of other things you might consider? - Change the shaft in your hybrid from graphite to a steel iron shaft (the one in your irons) - This will give you a lower trajectory (in my experience) - I'd also consider the Fli-Hi with an iron shaft - If you really want (or need) the extra length of a graphite shaft, maybe try the lighter version of the shaft you currently have in your irons? - The new Fli-Hi is the best version of that club Mizuno have ever created & well worth the effort to get (imho)
Paul

Jonny M

HCP
Local club/country
Essex
Irons
Driver
Thanks again, PaulBoy. Only heard great things about the new Fli-Hi and the price is great (particularly as I've been offered a half-price deal on one if I buy it at the same time as the set of 18's !!) Head really suits my eye and so keen to find a good option to have all Mizzy irons. Mate of mine came up with a decent idea last night - put a CTL or Modus 105 X flex in, 1/2" longer and get lie tweaked accordingly. Thoughts??

PaulBoy

HCP
WHS 7.0
Local club/country
Army GC
Irons
Driver
No problem! - As a CTL user I can only speculate on them - I used the "normal" C Taper for a couple of years & always felt it was a bit too much for my ageing swing, but loved how it played (less spin than the KBS Tour equivalent) - The CTL in X with the extra 1/2" sounds like a good plan to me, and if it doesn't work out you can always sell it on or change the shaft? - I don't have any experience of the Modus other than when I was fitted a year or so ago & tried it, I got better performance from the CTL
I know that Stewart 57 here recently bought a set of MP18's with the CTL shafts in X - He had always used Stiff shafts before (to my knowledge) so he might be able to give you a bit of info on how the CTL X performs if you drop him a pm (or if he spots this thread?)
Cheers ... Paul

DCB

HCP
Local club/country
Midlothian, Scotland http://www.merchantsgolf.com
Irons
My ReHab Bag - Mizuno JPX 900 HM 5-GW A Shafts, JPX EX 4H, JPX 900 5 & 7 Wood Orochi RL Shafts.
Driver
JPX 900
I went through a similar thought process when I bought my 64s a few years back. In the end I went with the fitters advice for my H4 4iron and went with the matching steel shaft rather than any graphite option and I have to say at that time it was the right decision. I has a "utility" club I could use off the tee, off the turf and out the first cut.

MizzyFanUK

HCP
Local club/country
UK
Irons
Mizuno Pro 221 (PX LS 6.0) / 225 / T22 wedges
Driver
ST-G 220
Cheers PaulBoy, you kind of hit the nail on the head - yes I want the 2 iron with graphite as a driving iron but also to fill the gap somewhat between 4 iron and 3 wood. Currently using Titleist 816 H2 but I've improved a lot over the last couple of years (down to 1, briefly 0) and also gained quite a a bit of clubhead speed, so now I really struggle to keep the flight down with a hybrid (even the low launch head with a 95 g x-flex shaft).

I've tried a friend's H5 1 iron and have no problem launching it from the deck and can also flight it from the tee, so an iron style hybrid seems the way to go, I'm just left bemused by Mizuno's feeble graphite options - even if they did the Project X LZ tour in an x-flew (which they don't!!) I'd probably be happy with that. Seems that the real issue with the 18mmc fli hi is that the hosel is .355 bore, so you can't fit a .370 hybrid shaft into it!!

Guess the only options are from the dark side- unless anyone else has any suggestions

Jonny M: I am pretty sure the Project X HZRDUS Black that goes in the TM UDI 790 is 0.355 tip diameter (their website says so anyway), so obviously PX make a shaft that goes into that diameter hosel. I am a bit surprised Mizuno don't offer that shaft as an option too.
https://www.taylormadegolf.eu/P790-UDI/DW-AL419.html?cgid=taylormade-irons#start=1&

Jonny M

HCP
Local club/country
Essex
Irons
Driver
Cheers for all of the input on this - in the end I went for a 2nd fitting of my irons and changed from a Tour X to a Tour Stiff hard stepped - wow is all I can say! This is what I've had put in the FLI-HI too- seems good, not quite as long as I might have hoped for, but flight and control are fantastic and absolutely no probs launching it from the deck.

Interestingly, on my 2nd fitting I was launching the Tour Still lower than either the Tour X of the CT X - this fitter said it was down to the way I load the shaft and that the slightly lighted shaft gave much better dispersion. Had it hard stepped just to stabilise it a bit.

With reference to the Hzardus Hybrid shaft, the TM site is just wrong - it's a .370 tip and indeed it says this elsewhere on the TM site (or rather did!)

Top Bottom