Mizuno taper tip shaft selection

HCP
Local club/country
N. Ireland
Is anyone able to clarify which length shaft Mizuno use as part of a custom fit build?

Shaft in question is either the Nippon NS Pro 950GH or the Nippon NS Pro 950GH NEO

Standard length & lie

Nippon list the shafts as being available in #1 - W (39.5” - 35” raw lengths)

858DC12D-3884-4AFB-8478-3EB0C2D4FF7C.png

If you look at the finished club lengths for JPX 921 Forged for example, PW = 35.5, so potentially Mizuno could fit a 35” shaft, with the remaining head depth after the hosel depth equating to the extra 0.5” to achieve a 35.5” finished length…albeit that might be cutting it close.

862A30CA-651C-4655-9D17-FAC4BF6E00A7.jpeg

I am having a new custom set built and want to compare that to a very old set of TM’s which I had built with NS Pro 950GH, which had 9-SW built with a 36.0 raw length then cut to length….8 iron was then using a 36.5” raw shaft etc. Based on the Nippon specs, that would indicate they were soft stepped once compared to what Nippon advertise….but I just want to understand what Mizuno do in order to compare if I will end up with the same flex relatively speaking.

See table from t’internet which I found which also helps….any insights greatly appreciated.

1ACF51EE-EB44-4F67-B2AA-1CECA3EF04E7.jpeg

Last edited:
HCP
Local club/country
N. Ireland
I recently had the opportunity to compare my TM 7 Iron with 37" raw uncut NS Pro 950 GH to that of a Mizuno Fitting centre shaft inserted into a JPX921 Forged, and that of a non-Mizuno custom fit studio, again same JPX921 Forged head, and all the same Reg Flex.

Not withstanding any minor differences in hosel depth, what was clear was:

1) The non-Mizuno custom fit studio had built the demo 7 Iron shaft using the Nippon Guidance, i.e. 36.5" shaft, as the first step was c. 1/2" closer to the hosel
2) The Mizuno Fitting Centre shaft had the first step a 1/2" further away from the hosel compared to my 7 Iron....i.e. a 37.5" raw uncut shaft.

Dangerous for someone getting fitted in the non-Mizuno custom fit as any flex they ordered is likely to arrive from Mizuno 2/3 of a flex softer

I am awaiting my clubs and the only way for me to be sure about where Mizuno align to Nippon's guidance will be the first time i come to regrip and then look at the stamp on the butt end of the club. Whilst most people may not notice a 1/3 of a flex most days, I think you would notice 2/3 of a flex.....

Hope this helps others when coming from non-Mizuno clubs and trying to get a build of the same shaft and flex as an existing set.

Top Bottom