Mizuno Low Spin wedges..

anchorpags

Local club/country
USA
Irons
Mizuno MP-29 / Mizuno MX-300 / MP T-10 Black Satin 64-07
Driver
Mizuno MP-600 / Putter / Mizuno Bettinardi BC6 & BC7
Will Mizuno be offering "low spin" wedges?

MPX

Administrator
Staff member
HCP
Local club/country
UK
Irons
JPX919 Hot Metal Pro 4-PW (C Taper Lite stiff), T20 wedges chrome - 50 / 56
Driver
ST-Z driver, ST200x 3wood, ST200x 5 wood
Not sure what you mean by 'low spin'?

If you mean conforming - ALL our wedges will conform to the new rules (which are a little complicated).

As it stands, there is no real danger for the consumer. The responsibility is for the manufacturers to stop distributing the more aggressive grooves by the end of 2010. Retailers can continue to sell them and golfers continue to play them for a good few years after that(long after they'll have worn out).

It's a little different on tour - where the rules will kick in earlier. We'll have to distribute a different groove on the tour.

anchorpags

Local club/country
USA
Irons
Mizuno MP-29 / Mizuno MX-300 / MP T-10 Black Satin 64-07
Driver
Mizuno MP-600 / Putter / Mizuno Bettinardi BC6 & BC7
Joshella said:
Not sure what you mean by 'low spin'?

If you mean conforming - ALL our wedges will conform to the new rules (which are a little complicated).

As it stands, there is no real danger for the consumer. The responsibility is for the manufacturers to stop distributing the more aggressive grooves by the end of 2010. Retailers can continue to sell them and golfers continue to play them for a good few years after that(long after they'll have worn out).

It's a little different on tour - where the rules will kick in earlier. We'll have to distribute a different groove on the tour.
What will the Tour Groove due?

Deemac

HCP
Local club/country
Torrance House Golf Club EK
Irons
MP 69's
Driver
Mizuno JPX 850 Fujikura Orochi 60g Stiff
anchorpags said:
Will Mizuno be offering "low spin" wedges?
I have to ask - WHY would you want a "low spin wedge"? Isn't the idea that from 100 yards and in, you want to take dead aim at the pin and stop the ball on a dime?

Mad as a Frog

HCP
Local club/country
Batchworth Park GC
Irons
MX-300 4&5, MP 52s 6-PW, Project X 5.5,Bridgestone 3&5 Woods with Accra Axiv XC75 shafts Stiff - Vokeys 50, 55 & 60
Driver
Nakashima HTEC Driver 460 Aldila VS Proto 60 Shaft 9.5 degree
My sentiments Deemac - you might be able to help me - I currently own vokey spin milled wedges (but have the wrong shafts in 5.0PX) I am now fitted with MP52's 6.0 PX, however I really want to purchase some decent wedges - I notice you have DG Gas II - can you elaborate on the advantages of these clubs. My favourite shot is opening my 58 Vokey and slamming it 100ft in the air and killing it on the green about 50 ft away - I worry if I change wedges I could lose this shot (even tho I only get to use it when I am trouble :). Do you think you should have the same shafts as the rest of your irons as I see wedge flex is becoming popular.... If you can recommend a shaft and wedge based on my 12 H/C and 6 iron club head speed of around 86mph it would be much appreciated - I like the look of muira and the MPT-10...

Deemac

HCP
Local club/country
Irons
MP 69's
Driver
Mad as a Frog said:
My sentiments Deemac - you might be able to help me - I currently own vokey spin milled wedges (but have the wrong shafts in 5.0PX) I am now fitted with MP52's 6.0 PX, however I really want to purchase some decent wedges - I notice you have DG Gas II - can you elaborate on the advantages of these clubs. My favourite shot is opening my 58 Vokey and slamming it 100ft in the air and killing it on the green about 50 ft away - I worry if I change wedges I could lose this shot (even tho I only get to use it when I am trouble :). Do you think you should have the same shafts as the rest of your irons as I see wedge flex is becoming popular.... If you can recommend a shaft and wedge based on my 12 H/C and 6 iron club head speed of around 86mph it would be much appreciated - I like the look of muira and the MPT-10...
Hey "Mad as a Frog",

Try this link: http://www.gaugedesigns.com/wedges.html

Whilst I love everything Mizuno, The Guage Design GAS wedges are simply the best wedges I have ever owned!! My teaching pro had a shot of them and he ordered 2 immediately.

I got them from a chap named Allan at a company called "Pure Forged Golf" and their website can be viewed at: http://www.pureforged.co.uk/

Allan does club fitting for a number of tour pros and I was willing to take his advice on the correct shaft. What he recommended was the DG S200 shaft, but it's a "cut-down" 8-iron shaft which is slightly heavier (to help chop through rough and tight lies) but with a soft tip for great feel.

These wedges are the absolute kings of spin - although they tend to be ball shredders too, but I don't mind that when offset against the control I have over the ball now!!

One thing I would add - with these wedges you wouldn't need to throw the ball so high in the air to get it to stop dead from 50 ft, the spin you will generate from the club-face will stop the ball naturally! With these wedges, you can CLOSE the clubface, play the ball from your back foot, hammer the ball into the ground and shoot it out with a low penetrating trajectory and it will hop and stop!

Hope this info helps...

Attachments

Mad as a Frog

HCP
Local club/country
Batchworth Park GC
Irons
MX-300 4&5, MP 52s 6-PW, Project X 5.5,Bridgestone 3&5 Woods with Accra Axiv XC75 shafts Stiff - Vokeys 50, 55 & 60
Driver
Cheers Deemac,

Just e-mailed pure forged - I loved the pics, and I will give them a go - purely on looks!!!!!

MPT-10's are getting raves - but wonder if everyone had choice of either which they would choose (hefty price afterall for GAS II) for me its about enjoyment on the cse with clubs I love! The MP 52's I am sure are the first adventure with mizuno - but already I will never go anywhere else for Irons!

Struggling with 3 and 4 iron tho maybe should have gone MP fli-hi for them!!

Nick

Deemac

HCP
Local club/country
Irons
MP 69's
Driver
Mad as a Frog said:
Cheers Deemac,

Just e-mailed pure forged - I loved the pics, and I will give them a go - purely on looks!!!!!

MPT-10's are getting raves - but wonder if everyone had choice of either which they would choose (hefty price afterall for GAS II) for me its about enjoyment on the cse with clubs I love! The MP 52's I am sure are the first adventure with mizuno - but already I will never go anywhere else for Irons!

Nick
Nick,

I struggle with the 3 and 4 iron too which is why my irons start at 5. I have replaced the 3 iron with a Fli Hi CLK 20 deg and the 4 iron with a Fli Hi CLK 23 deg.

Now I no longer worry about the 185 - 215 yard shots!

Regards,

D.

Deemac

HCP
Local club/country
Irons
MP 69's
Driver
Mad as a Frog said:
Cheers Deemac,

Nick
Nick,

PM me when you get your wedge/s and let me know what you think of them!!

D.

Mad as a Frog

HCP
Local club/country
Batchworth Park GC
Irons
Driver
You have got me going now - In my naivity of early golf I bought a Scotty Cameron - lovely putter - but under bad advice got it cut down - hence the weight totally upset - ie, an excuse! I need to replace and fast before I embark on lots of winter putting practise - whats the Bettinardi putter you have like (I like the look of the Japanese model Mizuno Japan RH0051 Putter Gin Collection).

I need to complete my set then do a good 12 mth using them, I am still undecided on my f/w / rescue set up (although hp with FT-9) but at the mo only have 5-pw + Driver wedges and putter in the bag ( cant hit 3 or 4 decent yet).

I am looking forward to just being hp with whats in the bag and working with it!

Nick

Deemac

HCP
Local club/country
Irons
MP 69's
Driver
Mad as a Frog said:
You have got me going now - In my naivity of early golf I bought a Scotty Cameron - lovely putter - but under bad advice got it cut down - hence the weight totally upset - ie, an excuse! I need to replace and fast before I embark on lots of winter putting practise - whats the Bettinardi putter you have like (I like the look of the Japanese model Mizuno Japan RH0051 Putter Gin Collection).

I need to complete my set then do a good 12 mth using them, I am still undecided on my f/w / rescue set up (although hp with FT-9) but at the mo only have 5-pw + Driver wedges and putter in the bag ( cant hit 3 or 4 decent yet).

I am looking forward to just being hp with whats in the bag and working with it!

Nick
Before you go and get yourself a new putter - check this out...

http://www.balance-certified.com/pages.php?page=02/11/19/3961029

My putter was cut down (on purpose) because I'm only 5ft 5", but the balance certified weight re-establishes the balance point, and can actually place the balance point to exactly the centre of your putter grip - where it should be!

I had mine done at "Applied Golf Technology" in St Andrews. You should give them a call.

Mad as a Frog

HCP
Local club/country
Batchworth Park GC
Irons
Driver
Cheers Deemac.

I took the wedges out for a spin tonight - OMG....

The MP52's were working too and I was on for breaking 80 for first time until bad light stopped me at the 16th. The wedges were awesome - never used them an awful lot but every time I hit into green I consistently ripped it back about 6-10 Feet! Awesome feeling.

Bring on the Belfry this weekend!! Thx for the recommendation! I have now booked a fitting session for the Rescues/woods at the belfry (did not have time on my initial iron fitting in germany), so hopefully by Saturday the bag may be complete! Mizuno ROCKS!!

Nick

Deemac

HCP
Local club/country
Irons
MP 69's
Driver
Mad as a Frog said:
Cheers Deemac.

I took the wedges out for a spin tonight - OMG....

The MP52's were working too and I was on for breaking 80 for first time until bad light stopped me at the 16th. The wedges were awesome - never used them an awful lot but every time I hit into green I consistently ripped it back about 6-10 Feet! Awesome feeling.

Bring on the Belfry this weekend!! Thx for the recommendation! I have now booked a fitting session for the Rescues/woods at the belfry (did not have time on my initial iron fitting in germany), so hopefully by Saturday the bag may be complete! Mizuno ROCKS!!

Nick
Yeah Man!! Those GAS II Wedges are simply stunning!!

With a set of Mizzy Irons, some Mizzy hybrids and some GAS II Wedges, your bag is starting to look suspiciously similar to mine!! ;-)

All we need to do now is get that lump of Titanium on the end of a stick that you call a driver out of your bag, and get some serious driver action going on!! :)

bygate

HCP
Local club/country
Birkdale
Irons
Nike Sumo2 SQ Hybrid (3h-4h); Mizuno MX-950 (5-PW); Vokey 252-08, 256-14, 258-08
Driver
Nike Sumo2 SQ 5900 (10.5* - Reg)
anchorpags said:
Joshella said:
What will the Tour Groove due?
I am by no means an expert on this so anyone reading this response that knows more, please go ahead...

The governing golf association (i.e., the 'powers that be' ;-)) has changed the rules / spec's regarding grooves for irons. As mentioned above, sometime in 2010, equipment used by tour pro's will need to adhere to the new rules. Sometime later, the rules apply to the next level of players, and at somepoint, manufactors / resellers are supposed to stop supplying equipment meeting the old groove standards.

I do not know that anyone necessarily wants the new grooves -- actually, I guess some do as the rules were not arbitry (perhaps they were ;-) My understanding is that the primary impact will be when hitting from the rough--the newer grooves will decrease the accuracy, and therefore make it harder on individuals hitting from the rough. If I remember correctly, the concern is that on tour, pro's are going much more for distance than accuracy, especially when hitting from the tee box. The current iron grooves are so good, it allows them to recover from most/many shots that fall outside the fairway. Thus, by there being a greater penalty for inaccurracy, it is believed that the pro's will focus more on accurracy (i.e., hitting the fairway on their t-shot).

Golf magazine recently (last several months?) performed some tests with pro's and amateur's using today's grooves and the new spec'd grooves. I seem to remember that when hitting from the fairway, there was a wider disperson pattern for the new spec grooves but there was not a tremendous difference. There was a much greater impact with shots from the rough.

As far as what's changing, most of the grooves on recent high-spin wedges are squared or u-shaped. I believe the new rules limit the groove shape to v-shaped and limit the depth of the groove. The square & u-shape grooves have two benefits: 1 - a sharper angle of the edge that contacts the ball; 2 - more space in the groove to route moister & other stuff away from the ball (limiting the groove depth impacts the moisture 'routing' capabilit as well)--this routing effect primarily comes into play when hitting from the rough.

Point #1 reduces the amnt of spin some but it is not the most significant issue -- thus Golf mag's article that showed from the fairway, there should not be too much of an impact. Point #2 (moisture routing capacity) is apparently the bigger issue, especially in the case of wedges. Mid & long irons depend on the face of the iron compressing the ball in to the ground and the decompressing of the ball aids in its speed / trajectory. With wedges and low irons, there is a greater dependency on the impact of the club face pushing the golf ball along. Moisture between the ball and club face impacts the quality of the contact & the control one can impart on the ball through the contact. Thus, the smaller grooves will have less ability to route the water, and therefore the contact with the face of the club is not as good.

Anyway, if I am off on any of this explanation, please enlighten me ;-)

sjaclark

HCP
Pro
Local club/country
Scotland
Irons
MP-69 KBS X-stiff 3-PW....MP Fli-Hi KBS X-Stiff 18*....MP T-11 53* + 58*
Driver
MP 650 10.5* Project X 6B7, MP650 15* Project X 7B3, MP650 19* hybrid Project X HC1
I think it would be wise of Mizuno to start manufacturing the wedges with 2010 legal grooves now...

I have just been custom fitted for new equipment but may cancel the wedges if I cannot get ones with legal grooves...does anyone know if the asian tour has the 2010 groove rule in place?? If so I might have to get something else...or just wait until Mizuno bring in the new version with legal grooves.

Deemac

HCP
Local club/country
Irons
MP 69's
Driver
sjaclark said:
I think it would be wise of Mizuno to start manufacturing the wedges with 2010 legal grooves now...

I have just been custom fitted for new equipment but may cancel the wedges if I cannot get ones with legal grooves...does anyone know if the asian tour has the 2010 groove rule in place?? If so I might have to get something else...or just wait until Mizuno bring in the new version with legal grooves.
The Mizuno staffers must be using conforming equipment! What wedges are they using?

sjaclark

HCP
Pro
Local club/country
Scotland
Irons
MP-69 KBS X-stiff 3-PW....MP Fli-Hi KBS X-Stiff 18*....MP T-11 53* + 58*
Driver
MP 650 10.5* Project X 6B7, MP650 15* Project X 7B3, MP650 19* hybrid Project X HC1
Deemac said:
sjaclark said:

The Mizuno staffers must be using conforming equipment! What wedges are they using?
I think they will currently mostly still be using the grooves that are legal until 2010? what do you think?

Deemac

HCP
Local club/country
Irons
MP 69's
Driver
sjaclark said:
Deemac said:
sjaclark said:

I think they will currently mostly still be using the grooves that are legal until 2010? what do you think?
OK, but perhaps I should re-phrase my previous comment:

What WILL the staffers be using in 2010, its only 3 months away?

Top Bottom