Mizuno JPX900 Hot Metal Irons Corrosion

HCP
Local club/country
Stoneleigh Deer Park Golf Club
Irons
JPX900
Driver
Ping G
I’ve just purchased a new set of JPX900 Hot Metal Irons and after one round, one round!! There’s rust spots developing on the PW. One day, one round, but what I expected. This can’t be normal!!???

MPX

Administrator
Staff member
HCP
Local club/country
UK
Irons
JPX919 Hot Metal Pro 4-PW (C Taper Lite stiff), T20 wedges chrome - 50 / 56
Driver
ST-Z driver, ST200x 3wood, ST200x 5 wood
Re: Mizuno JPX900 Hot Metal Irons

No - that's not normal.  Possibly some very strong chemicals on the fairway?

But please return these to your retailer and they'll be in touch with us.

HCP
Local club/country
Irons
JPX900
Driver
Ping G

Hi, the affected club is now with Mizuno for assessment however I now have a second club (9I) showing the same condition. This second club was on the second round of golf and was noted within two hours of finishing a round. I’m to touch with my seller. 

HCP
Local club/country
Irons
JPX900
Driver
Ping G

I have to say that my first ever (and probably my last) purchase has resulted in a very poor level of customer service. Mizuno have advised that the corrosion is not under warranty and that this is a result of the lack of care. I cannot agree with this comment as these clubs were brand new and used for the first time on Sunday 11th Feb and cleaned after the round then lubricated with light oil. So, corrosion occurred after one round and the clubs cleaned as quick as was humanly possible but then still corroded. The same occurred on the 9 iron this week, played and clubs and cleaned during the round and finished and finally cleaned and lubricated within 1 hr of getting home. Again more corrosion. This strikes me that there’s an issue with the irons that either Mizuno know about but won’t admit or genuinely feel the clubs hacve been abused. Either way the warranty does not apply. Not sure what to do other than not to play in the wet, clean the irons and keep them tucked up in bed at a nice room temperature. Very disappointed in both the level of customer service and the fact that the items aren’t of a required quality to withstand normal use. I had fellow golfers interested in purchasing the same but this experience has now put them off Mizuno product. Certainly did not have these issues with Ping and the level of after care needed/suggested. Dissatisfied and disappointed !!!! 

Halebopp

HCP
Local club/country
Lakeside Golf Vammala, Finland
Irons
MP-H5/53/4
Driver
MP-650/ST180

That sounds very odd. Having owned 7 sets of forged irons by Mizuno over the years, I've never encountered the issue, all of them have been used. The only clubs I've had corrosion showing have been some wedges that have been hit thousands of times wearing out the protective coating.

Why are you adding oil? Doesn't that make a huge mess of things, especially when you need to remove it before a round? A good cleaning and drying with a towel is all you need. Do you use iron head covers?

My suggestion is you check what oil you are using and I'm willing to bet your problem lies right there. I'd simply stop applying it.

HCP
Local club/country
Irons
JPX900
Driver
Ping G
These were corroded before a lubricant was added. The corrosion occurred between playing and cleaning. 

HCP
Local club/country
Irons
JPX900
Driver
Ping G
In fact the first club a PW was straight out of the box. I round, corrosion before I could clean it. This is something to do with the steel grade being used. It has been said that they are not as resistant as other steel grades. Let’s not get confused with the oil. That’s an instruction with the clubs for care. 

HCP
Local club/country
Irons
JPX900
Driver
Ping G
I’ve attached the maintenance instructions for reference. Clearly states the use of lubrication oil. The instructions have been followed to the letter but corrosion not avoided. 

Halebopp

HCP
Local club/country
Lakeside Golf Vammala, Finland
Irons
MP-H5/53/4
Driver
MP-650/ST180
That is odd, certainly something has hit the face quite hard and sharply to break the protective coating.

NotOhBoy

Local club/country
Surrey
The only time I became aware of rust spots was on a new set of MP59’s a few years back. I had used neoprene head covers which apparently keep in moisture. Once dried (and a touch of baby oil :) ) I was able to wipe away the rust spots.

I’ve never used head covers again and haven’t experienced any further rust problems.

HCP
Local club/country
Eagle Oaks GC & CC / USA
Irons
jpx 900 hot metal
Driver
st190
I also have rust forming on my JPX900 irons. When I reached out to Muzuno I was told that it was normal. The they said it was caused by fertilizer and chemicals used at my golf course. the also said that the irons aren't warranted because they are older than 1 year. I love my lrons, but I've been golfing a long time and have had many sets of clubs and nothing like this ever happened before. Muzuno needs to better stand behind its equipment and replace the irons. I'm reasonably sure my money didn't rust in their pockets after a year.

Top Bottom