HCP
WHS 7.0
Local club/country
Army GC
Irons
Mizuno Pro 223 (4-AW) Modus3 120s
Driver
Titleist TSi2 Graphite Design Tour AD XC-50s
As per my thread below, I recently purchased a set of JPX900 Tour irons - The set was 5-PW so I am on the lookout for a 4 iron - I spotted one for sale online, and noticed from the pictures that the number etched on the hosel was the usual date followed by the letter "S" - All the sets I have owned or seen have always had the letter "C" after the build date? - I did some digging online & found reference to this stating that the "C" relates to "Custom" and the "S" relates to "Stock"? - Is this correct? - I always thought the "C" related to "Cumbernauld" which is the factory in Scotland where Mizuno build all their clubs for the European market?
Thank you ... Paul

seanmor

HCP
WHS 18.0
Local club/country
Caprington Golf Club Kilmarnock
Irons
MIZUNO JPX921HM irons 5-PW
Driver
ST-X 230 12.0 deg N.S.Pro 950 GH Neo R flex shaft
As per my thread below, I recently purchased a set of JPX900 Tour irons - The set was 5-PW so I am on the lookout for a 4 iron - I spotted one for sale online, and noticed from the pictures that the number etched on the hosel was the usual date followed by the letter "S" - All the sets I have owned or seen have always had the letter "C" after the build date? - I did some digging online & found reference to this stating that the "C" relates to "Custom" and the "S" relates to "Stock"? - Is this correct? - I always thought the "C" related to "Cumbernauld" which is the factory in Scotland where Mizuno build all their clubs for the European market?
Thank you ... Paul
Hi Paul,

I've always believe that was correct that the number tells you date when they were built and the letter C tells you that the set was Custom fitted, the S after the number tells you they are Stock and were bought of the rack and were built to STD specs loft, lie and length,

But like you I would be interested to know if that is actually correct..?

I'll also throw in a curved ball to this question as I've recently had my JPX900 Hot Metal irons re-shafted by Mizuno at Cumbernauld they were originally custom built on the 23rd October 2017 with KBS Tour C-Taper Lite shafts and the etched number on them was 231017-C which I assume stands for Custom fit,

But when I received them back having had them fitted with new Project X LZ graphite shaft on 22nd January 2019 they had a new etched number on them that was 220119-R which I assume the number represents the build date but what does the letter R represent...?

So I'm now wondering what the letter R at the end of the number means...?

Cheers John,

Last edited:

PaulBoy

HCP
WHS 7.0
Local club/country
Army GC
Irons
Mizuno Pro 223 (4-AW) Modus3 120s
Driver
Titleist TSi2 Graphite Design Tour AD XC-50s
Hi John & thanks for your reply - I guess we will have to wait until MPX or another Mizuno Staff member reads this? - I would speculate that the "R" on your irons which had the shafts changed stands for "Re-shaft" or "Re-fit"? - It would be nice to hear that from the Running Bird's mouth so to speak ...

Brattz

HCP
Pro
Local club/country
Derby Golf Centre
Irons
Mizuno JPX 919 Tour (4-PW) - Project X LZ 6.5 120g - 0.5° Flat - 1/2"+
Driver
Titleist TS3 - HC Project X LZ17 6.5 60g, 9.5°, A1 - 11g
S = Standard
C = Custom Build
R = Replacement