Looking for newer Mizuno irons

HCP
Local club/country
Stone Mountain Golf Club
Irons
TM RAC LT
Driver
Callaway Epic Fash
I'm 64 years old and have been playing golf for almost 40 years. I carry about a 12-15 hdcp and am an inveterate club tinkerer. During my 30's and 40's I played alot of different Mizuno irons and sold my last set, MP33's, about 5 years ago. I shot my best round ever, a 76, with my MP14's in my early 40's. I want to get back to a set of those nice feeling Mizunos and after reading and reading I think something in the JPX line but not in the Tour line as I think I prefer a mid-sized head. I want to spend only $600 max on a used set. I'm a believer in Ralph Matlby's Playabiilty Index and see where he's got the JPX 919 Hot Metal pretty high but realize they are cast. If any of you are around my hdcp what do you play?

DMT

HCP
Local club/country
Celtic Manor
Irons
JPX Tour 919 (5-PW) 50, 54 and 60 degree Vokeys
Driver
Ping G 10.5 Tour Stiff
I’ve never had anything in the MP range so can’t necessarily compare but have you looked at the JPX forged? I’m not sure where they sit in Maltby’s index.

PaulBoy

HCP
WHS 7.0
Local club/country
Army GC Hampshire
Irons
Mizuno MP-20 MMC (4-AW) Modus3 105s
Driver
TM Stealth II MRC Tensei Orange 50s
Although I'm a bit lower index than you, I'd recommend a set of MP5 irons - Don't be scared off by the "bladey" look of these irons - The head size is quite a bit larger than their older models & there is a reasonable amount of forgiveness too, that would not have been there in your MP33's - I have also dabbled in the JPX range & had 900 Forged & 919 Tours - Both excellent clubs, but I was drawn back to the MP5 for the signature feel that I have only ever found in the MP range - I'm pretty sure as a 12 index the MP5's would work for you, but if you were still a bit wary then (in your budget) there a several MP sets to choose from
Paul

Local club/country
Diamondhead MS Golf, Chicago, USA
Irons
Cobra King Forged TEC
hello there Thomas. Sorry for not being able to help as I'm searching for answers myself, just wanted to know if you did bought yourself something so far? how's going? thanks

Top Bottom