Lie- flat or upright?

tbradshaw

Local club/country
Hertfordshire
Hi all.
I recently purchased some mizuno irons, the fitter identified i needed a lie adjustment.

My order form from mizuno states "-2 deg"

I want to purchase further wedges to my set, but putting an order in online asks for lie adjustment flat or upright.

I can't find anywhere where I can work out is - 2 flat or is it upright. I assume its flat... but want to make sure!

Thanks to anyone who can help!

Brattz

HCP
Pro
Local club/country
Derby Golf Centre
Irons
Mizuno JPX 919 Tour (4-PW) - Project X LZ 6.5 120g - 0.5° Flat - 1/2"+
Driver
Titleist TS3 - HC Project X LZ17 6.5 60g, 9.5°, A1 - 11g
0 is standard, - means flatter, + means upright

Brattz

HCP
Pro
Local club/country
Derby Golf Centre
Irons
Driver
FYI, I have all my wedges progressively flatter for 2 main reasons:

1. You can attack the ball better using the bounce with a flatter lie when chipping.
2. You don’t swing at full tilt with a wedge so rarely ‘activate’ the shaft flex & kick. By having the shafts flatter it points the clubface loft further right so stops the lefts with a half swing not done at full speed.

Both these reasons are done on tour. There isn’t a single tour golfer that I have seen that doesn’t have their wedges flattened.

My setup:
3/4 iron - standard
5-PW - 0.5° flat
50° loft - 10° bounce - 1° flat
54° loft - 11° bounce - 1.5° flat
58° loft - 9° bounce - 2° flat

PaulBoy

HCP
WHS 7.0
Local club/country
Army GC
Irons
Mizuno Pro 223 (4-AW) Modus3 120s
Driver
Titleist TSi2 Graphite Design Tour AD XC-50s

1. You can attack the ball better using the bounce with a flatter lie when chipping.
2. You don’t swing at full tilt with a wedge so rarely ‘activate’ the shaft flex & kick. By having the shafts flatter it points the clubface loft further right so stops the lefts with a half swing not done at full speed.

Both these reasons are done on tour. There isn’t a single tour golfer that I have seen that doesn’t have their wedges flattened.

My setup:
3/4 iron - standard
5-PW - 0.5° flat
Hi Nige ... I see from your other post the lockdown hasn't held your golf back at all? - I was interested to read your post above about your wedge setup - Wedges are a weak part of my game & something thought might be resolved by extra practice on wedges, rather than just hitting balls on the range - But flattening the lies makes a lot of sense & when my club fitters are back up and running, I feel a trip to see one will be in order - I'm pretty sure my wedges (49 54 58) if anything are set 1* UP to match how my 919's are? - If that is the case, it might not just be a lack of skill on my part (with the wedges) that is holding me back?
Much obliged ... Paul

Brattz

HCP
Pro
Local club/country
Derby Golf Centre
Irons
Driver
Hi Nige ... I see from your other post the lockdown hasn't held your golf back at all? - I was interested to read your post above about your wedge setup - Wedges are a weak part of my game & something thought might be resolved by extra practice on wedges, rather than just hitting balls on the range - But flattening the lies makes a lot of sense & when my club fitters are back up and running, I feel a trip to see one will be in order - I'm pretty sure my wedges (49 54 58) if anything are set 1* UP to match how my 919's are? - If that is the case, it might not just be a lack of skill on my part (with the wedges) that is holding me back?
Much obliged ... Paul
Absolutely Paul. Glad to hear you are fit and well! I was told to flatten my wedges off about 25 years ago by a certain Mark Roe and done it ever since. He was our college golf coach and was insistent that flatter lies with shorter clubs kept the loft of the face pointing square to target and stops the lefts. It’s pretty standard fair on tour now.
Defo try a progressive flattening based on full swing usage, so a 49° wants flattening less than the 54° because you will make more fuller swings so activate the shaft flex more.
let me know how you get on 👍🏽

Bonobobananas

HCP
Local club/country
England
Irons
Titleist T100s 😬
Driver
TM Stealth 2+
I’d watch out Paul, those flat lies can hamper your bunker play I’ve heard... 😆

PaulBoy

HCP
WHS 7.0
Local club/country
Army GC
Irons
Mizuno Pro 223 (4-AW) Modus3 120s
Driver
Titleist TSi2 Graphite Design Tour AD XC-50s
Bunker? - They're those big holes with sand in them aren't they? - Doesn't affect me mate, I don't go in them!

DCB

HCP
Local club/country
Midlothian, Scotland http://www.merchantsgolf.com
Irons
My ReHab Bag - Mizuno JPX 900 HM 5-GW A Shafts, JPX EX 4H, JPX 900 5 & 7 Wood Orochi RL Shafts.
Driver
JPX 900

Hey...Bananaman is still alive ... how are you doing sir ?

Brattz

HCP
Pro
Local club/country
Derby Golf Centre
Irons
Driver
Nothing wrong with my bunker play mr big numbers on card 😂

HAIRY ESSEX BLOKE

HCP
Local club/country
Fabulous Frinton on Sea ESSEX
Irons
MP53 4-PW MPT 10 51 & 54 deg various fairways & hybrids plus MX23, MP18MMC, MMC hi fli CLK hybrids T7 wedges
Driver
Mizuno MX700 JPX EZ ,GT & ST180 & ST180G
Absolutely Paul. Glad to hear you are fit and well! I was told to flatten my wedges off about 25 years ago by a certain Mark Roe and done it ever since. He was our college golf coach and was insistent that flatter lies with shorter clubs kept the loft of the face pointing square to target and stops the lefts. It’s pretty standard fair on tour now.
Defo try a progressive flattening based on full swing usage, so a 49° wants flattening less than the 54° because you will make more fuller swings so activate the shaft flex more.
let me know how you get on 👍🏽
That makes sense to me having it done now, it may well be the answer to a problem I have had recently stay safe mate cheers

Brattz

HCP
Pro
Local club/country
Derby Golf Centre
Irons
Driver
That makes sense to me having it done now, it may well be the answer to a problem I have had recently stay safe mate cheers
Hope it gives you the edge with the short game HEB 👍🏽

Henri011

HCP
Local club/country
GC Brunsummerheide The Netherlands
Irons
JPX 900 Hot Metal 4 Iron with Project X LZ Shaft reg /JPX 919 Forged Irons 6,7,8,9,PW fitted with UST Mamiya Recoil R shafts,wedges MP - R 12 52°\56°\60° fitted with KBS HI-REV shafts reg
Driver
JPX EZ 10.5. Fujikura Orochi shaft Reg length shaft 44.50 Inch
Hi,it is very important that you are being fitted , also for your wedges......i can recommend that you are looking carefully on what shaft you are using,I am being fitted by Mizuno with the KBS HI-REV reg Shafts, great spin on the greens, they are used in wedges.
My wedges: MP-R12 52°\56°\60°

Brattz

HCP
Pro
Local club/country
Derby Golf Centre
Irons
Driver
Hi,it is very important that you are being fitted , also for your wedges......i can recommend that you are looking carefully on what shaft you are using,I am being fitted by Mizuno with the KBS HI-REV reg Shafts, great spin on the greens, they are used in wedges.
My wedges: MP-R12 52°\56°\60°
Hi Henri,

Hi-Revs are more for if you struggle with flight and spin rates due to angle of attack etc. I use DG Pro Tour Issue S400 shafts in my wedges. They are 135g low spin, low flight because I need to turn the spin down.

mtip83

HCP
Local club/country
Brighton, UK
Irons
JPX919 HM 4-6 + JPX919 HM Pro 7-PW
Driver
Mizuno MX560 10.5deg Reg

My setup:
3/4 iron - standard
5-PW - 0.5° flat
My JPX919 HM’s were set up 2deg upright, which were the same as my old T10 wedges (50deg and 56deg) I’ve carried over from my former set. Does this a flatter lie mean my wedges would be better suited as 1deg up or even a standard lie? Both wedges have DG Wedge flex shafts. Thanks

Brattz

HCP
Pro
Local club/country
Derby Golf Centre
Irons
Driver
My JPX919 HM’s were set up 2deg upright, which were the same as my old T10 wedges (50deg and 56deg) I’ve carried over from my former set. Does this a flatter lie mean my wedges would be better suited as 1deg up or even a standard lie? Both wedges have DG Wedge flex shafts. Thanks
Yes, go see your pro and go on a lie board. Try them at 1° and then at 0.

Top Bottom