HCP
Old Age
Local club/country
Killian Greens Golf Club
Irons
MX-1000
Driver
ST-180
I was messing around on the practice green, waiting for the rest of my group to show up last Monday. For no particular reason, I tried gripping the putter left hand low and realized I was hitting the ball more on line. Distance control was kind of questionable, specially on longer putts, but when we played, I kept using it. I made some short putts, 10 feet or so, but the main thing was, I was missing long or shot, not side to side.I'm thinking about continuing with it, but it raises some questions.

The putter i was using has a larger grip that wasn't comfortable in the fingers on my right hand, so when I got home, I held a putter with a more normal grip and it solved that problem. That just happened to be a Mizuno Axix putter Hursty helped find for me. Still though, I'm curious, do any of you putt left hand low with a big grip and maybe turn your hands in some way to feel a better grip with the right hand?

I tried interlocking and that was really uncomfortable, so I discounted that way. When I tried 10 finger, overlapping and reverse overlapping, none were immediately comfortable, but I couldn't figure out which felt like I was best connected to the putter.

Who uses left hand low and how do you find it easiest to grip the club?

PaulBoy

HCP
WHS 7.0
Local club/country
Army GC
Irons
Mizuno Pro 223 (4-AW) Modus3 120s
Driver
Titleist TSi2 Graphite Design Tour AD XC-50s
Hi Dennis ... Can't help answer any of your questions, but seeing that a lot of Tour players swear by left hand low (for right hand golfers) I tried really hard to make this work for me - But I could not get on with it - I think it is because I am left handed (but play golf right handed obviously) - I find left hand low just feels very awkward & I honestly could putt better just using my left hand only instead of both hands with the left hand low - Maybe it's just me (?) - I did make a major putter change during the 1st Lockdown last year which was to change from blade putter style (Anser etc) to something with more forgiveness (after some putting tuition) - I switched to more mallet style (#7 etc) but eventually ended up with a "wide blade" style (currently EvnRoll 2.2) - Can't wait for golf to start up again here in England (end of March) as my indoor putting is off the charts! (good, I mean!)
Paul

DennisMiller

HCP
Old Age
Local club/country
Killian Greens Golf Club
Irons
MX-1000
Driver
ST-180
A friend in Louisville has an Evenroll and has eventually grown to like it. It has a LOT of offset.

I own an embarrassing number of putters. Maybe one will work better than another. And yes, left hand low did feel awkward, but I couldn't help but notice how much better I git the ball on my intended line. Maybe all it came down to was, an uncomfortable frip made me concentrate more.

PaulBoy

HCP
WHS 7.0
Local club/country
Army GC
Irons
Mizuno Pro 223 (4-AW) Modus3 120s
Driver
Titleist TSi2 Graphite Design Tour AD XC-50s
A friend in Louisville has an Evenroll and has eventually grown to like it. It has a LOT of offset.

I own an embarrassing number of putters. Maybe one will work better than another. And yes, left hand low did feel awkward, but I couldn't help but notice how much better I git the ball on my intended line. Maybe all it came down to was, an uncomfortable frip made me concentrate more.
My EvnRoll has a plumbers neck which I have always preferred since my first Anser (when they used to actually ping!)
Paul

Top Bottom