JPX 900 HM vs JPX 921 forged

Steve Smith

Local club/country
Newcastle upon tyne
I am gaming a set of 900 Hot Metal currently 4 to Gap....

Very forgiving, great distance, nice feel out of the middle... but.... big and chunky and not pretty to look at... NO spin on firm greens, I play 5 yards short of the green...

I was reading the reviews of the 921 Forged where Mizuno have forged the chromoly to retain the distance and forgiveness but achieved the feel and profile of a blade...

This could be the holy grail....

I am considering a swap...

Anyone have the 921 Forged and what are they like ??

Thanks guys

Smitty 😎😎😎

Steve Smith

Local club/country
Newcastle upon tyne

Very forgiving, great distance, nice feel out of the middle... but.... big and chunky and not pretty to look at... NO spin on firm greens, I play 5 yards short of the green...

I was reading the reviews of the 921 Forged where Mizuno have forged the chromoly to retain the distance and forgiveness but achieved the feel and profile of a blade...

Thanks guys

Smitty 😎😎😎
At the end of the day... what we want is an iron that looks like a blade... feels like a blade.... goes like a bomb... and has maximum forgiveness....
😍😍😍😍

Steve Smith

Local club/country
Newcastle upon tyne
At the end of the day... what we want is an iron that looks like a blade... feels like a blade.... goes like a bomb... and has maximum forgiveness....
😍😍😍😍
Or...Cheryl Cole... Cheryl Cole... your favourite adult actress... and your mum...

Err... I said that out loud didn't I?

Apologies 😳😳😳😳😳

DennisMiller

HCP
Old Age
Local club/country
Killian Greens Golf Club
Irons
MX-1000
Driver
ST-180
Or...Cheryl Cole... Cheryl Cole... your favourite adult actress... and your mum...

Err... I said that out loud didn't I?

Apologies 😳😳😳😳😳
ROFL - As long as we're admitting a few things without the benefit of the Priest or confessional here, my most recent celebrity crush is on my adorable Vice President of the United States.

Of course, my other celebrity crush is So Yeon Ryu, so I'm waiting in a long line for her to marry me in my next life. Yes, my wife knows...

I'm surprised to hear you say the 900 HM set looks big and clunky. I guess at my age, I find comfort in a slightly larger iron, but that might just be my bad eyesight enjoying the ability to see something that's all the way down on the ground.

And yes, I think my 919 Hot Metal irons feel very good, different from a forged iron, but not at all hard. You know I recently got the old set of MP-54s. I hope to use them for the first time this Friday or next Monday, so it should be interesting to compare... Can I hit them well enough to enjoy the forged feel, or do I need the 919 HM for the sake of the larger head and forgiveness?

As for spin, I don't feel I have that problem here in Miami. Could that be some issue with where you live? Not being far from the North Sea, could it be Poseidon just doesn't like you?

Steve Smith

Local club/country
Newcastle upon tyne
ROFL - As long as we're admitting a few things without the benefit of the Priest or confessional here, my most recent celebrity crush is on my adorable Vice President of the United States.

Of course, my other celebrity crush is So Yeon Ryu, so I'm waiting in a long line for her to marry me in my next life. Yes, my wife knows...

I'm surprised to hear you say the 900 HM set looks big and clunky. I guess at my age, I find comfort in a slightly larger iron, but that might just be my bad eyesight enjoying the ability to see something that's all the way down on the ground.

And yes, I think my 919 Hot Metal irons feel very good, different from a forged iron, but not at all hard. You know I recently got the old set of MP-54s. I hope to use them for the first time this Friday or next Monday, so it should be interesting to compare... Can I hit them well enough to enjoy the forged feel, or do I need the 919 HM for the sake of the larger head and forgiveness?

As for spin, I don't feel I have that problem here in Miami. Could that be some issue with where you live? Not being far from the North Sea, could it be Poseidon just doesn't like you?
Hi Den... don't get me wrong, the 900HM are bloody great... perhaps I will give the RB Tour X high spin a go....

Steve Smith

Local club/country
Newcastle upon tyne

Miami.... mmm.... sounds lovely... too far away though sadly...

Right now... right here on the NE coast of England.. in June... with this weather.. 25 degrees C light breeze... and daylight from 3am to 10.30 pm there is no place in the world I would rather be....

However from November to March I would rather spend my time in Mordor or The Gulags or Tobes of Hades....

Albufeira in the Algarve would be lovely for 5 months of the year... the Portuguese and English have never been to war... but share a common maritime history in trade and co-operation + they are polite and friendly and really like us Brits....compared with Spain the beaches are nicer... the water is cleaner and the golf courses better...

The Spanish are rude, unfriendly and they HATE our guts.... so Portugal every time for me Dennis...

😎😎😍😍

Steve Smith

Local club/country
Newcastle upon tyne
Miami.... mmm.... sounds lovely... too far away though sadly...

Right now... right here on the NE coast of England.. in June... with this weather.. 25 degrees C light breeze... and daylight from 3am to 10.30 pm there is no place in the world I would rather be....

However from November to March I would rather spend my time in Mordor or The Gulags or Tobes of Hades....

Albufeira in the Algarve would be lovely for 5 months of the year... the Portuguese and English have never been to war... but share a common maritime history in trade and co-operation + they are polite and friendly and really like us Brits....compared with Spain the beaches are nicer... the water is cleaner and the golf courses better...

The Spanish are rude, unfriendly and they HATE our guts.... so Portugal every time for me Dennis...

😎😎😍😍[/QUOTE

Back in the 80's I was told I looked like Don Johnson by one two girls in the Newcastle nightclubs... with my white jacket, white pants, sockless espadrill shoes, sun tan and shoulder length hair with blonde highlights... I think they just wanted to screw a couple of more cocktails out of me.... also.. looking like that in Miami is fine but standing in a taxi queue at 3am with a bunch of brainless drunk Geordie meat heads.... put yourself in danger of a serious kicking... and even worse.. ruining your designer threads...

Nowadays I am more of a resemblance to Johnny Vegas the oversize Northern English comic or Peter Griffin...

Bah humbug...

😁😁😁

HCP
Local club/country
Northumberland
Irons
MP H5
Driver
ST190

Thanks guys

Smitty 😎😎😎
I tried the forged but got better numbers with the hot metal.
A good fitter is essential!
🙂

Local club/country
United States
Irons
JPX921 Forged 5-GW
Driver
ST-Z 9.5 Ventus Black 6S Driver, ST-Z 3W Ventus Blue 6S, CLK 4H Ventus Blue 7S
I tried the forged but got better numbers with the hot metal.
A good fitter is essential!
🙂
I was just the opposite. I tried the hot metal but got better numbers with the forged.

Local club/country
United States
Irons
JPX921 Forged 5-GW
Driver
ST-Z 9.5 Ventus Black 6S Driver, ST-Z 3W Ventus Blue 6S, CLK 4H Ventus Blue 7S

Thanks guys

Smitty 😎😎😎
I have the forged & I love them. Very forgiving with a great feel. A lot has to do with the shaft when it comes to the performance, too. Weight, high vs low launch, balance, etc. Also, the forged can be adjusted in the future for loft & lie +/- 2 degree, whereas the hot metal cannot.

tomvk77

HCP
Local club/country
GC de Koepel, netherlands
Irons
Mizuno JPX 921 Forged KBS Tour Stiff 4-pw
Driver
Callaway Rogue ST Max LS 10.5 set to 9.5
I game them a few weeks now. I absolutely love them, you will gain some distance from stronger lofts as well. I hit them about 15 yards further than my old ones. I find the forged very forgiving and they look good behind the ball, not the way my mp59’s i had before, but it does give confidence behind the ball. I think you should go for it. Get the right shafts in and play on lol.

HCP
Local club/country
Denmark
Irons
Mp53/jpx825 pro
Driver
Titleist 910 d3
I have the forged & I love them. Very forgiving with a great feel. A lot has to do with the shaft when it comes to the performance, too. Weight, high vs low launch, balance, etc. Also, the forged can be adjusted in the future for loft & lie +/- 2 degree, whereas the hot metal cannot.
HM can be adjusted, no problem, have done it multiple time on my own loft and lie mac.. but the 3-7 irons in jpx 921 forged is made from Grain Flow Forged HD 4120 Chromoly for me it was not possible to bend. Maybe also because the 921/923 forged is missing the cut in the hosel, which the HM has (sort of like on a PIng iron)

Top Bottom