JLPGA Tour Championship Ricoh Cup

LOS

Local club/country
England
Normally I wouldn't post a result like this but it shows one of things I find confusing about Mizuno. When a player is having a succesful season with a set of clubs why do they change them for the latest model when they are available instead of waiting until the season ends?

1669539803351.png
1669539861998.png
1669539899289.png
1669539955578.png
The driver is a prototype.

MrK20

Local club/country
Germany
Irons
Mizuno / MP 20 HMB; MP 20; T20 / 2; 3-9; 49, 54, 60, Nippon Modus 120 S
Driver
Mizuno / ST-Z / D, 3W, 5W / JPX900 22H / CLK 25H. MRC Diamana D+(D, 3W, 5W) , Fujikura SIX R(22), Fujikura Speeder Hb 85 (25)
Ouch. That must have been a tough tournament.
I do agree that the equipment switch should wait until season end, however I would doubt that it was only the change in equipment that lead to this result.

LOS

Local club/country
England
She has had a poor end of season and wonder how muxh effect it has had on her confidence and I wonder how much preesure is put on these young players by Mizuno.
1669707135941.png

Last years "Golden Girl" was Erika Hara" who is no longer with Mizuno and has only recentlly starting to get some form back.

LOS

Local club/country
England
Mao Saigo is no longer listed on Mizuno Japans Tour Player list. https://jpn.mizuno.com/players/golf
It will be interesting to see the clubs she uses this year.

That's 4 female players gone ,in just over a year , from Mizunos line up.

MrK20

Local club/country
Germany
Irons
Driver
Mizuno / ST-Z / D, 3W, 5W / JPX900 22H / CLK 25H. MRC Diamana D+(D, 3W, 5W) , Fujikura SIX R(22), Fujikura Speeder Hb 85 (25)
That's a shame. Wonder what happened there that lead to the fallout. Was it the push towards new equipment or something else? We will probably never know.

DennisMiller

HCP
Old Age
Local club/country
Killian Greens Golf Club
Irons
MX-1000
Driver
ST-180
Along similar lines, a lot of conversatioin at the Pebble Beach Pro-Am yesterday was dedicated to an equipment change just made by Justin Rose. Without mention a brand name, they said he went back to a brand he used to be with. Didn't he play Mizunos some time ago?

MrK20

Local club/country
Germany
Irons
Driver
As far as I am aware J-Rose was never "playing Mizuno". He did play MIzuno Blades whilst being a non-contracted player. He was with Taylormade for a long time and then signed for Honma, which didn't quite work out for either party.

DennisMiller

HCP
Old Age
Local club/country
Killian Greens Golf Club
Irons
MX-1000
Driver
ST-180
As far as I am aware J-Rose was never "playing Mizuno". He did play MIzuno Blades whilst being a non-contracted player. He was with Taylormade for a long time and then signed for Honma, which didn't quite work out for either party.
After seeing Justin on tv a couple days ago, I believe i was thinking of Luke Donald using Mizunos, not Justin Rose. (Those English golfers all look alike to me) ;-)
My mistake...

Secondary to that, the idea of a club change at all must be scary to someone who actually makes their living with a weird bunch of bent sticks in their hands.

At the few professional tournaments I've ever been to, it was very obvious a large presence on the range was equipment reps trying to get pros to try some new club from their brand. I can't imagine what it takes to convince a professional to drop what's been working and change to something else.

PaulBoy

HCP
WHS 7.0
Local club/country
Army GC
Irons
Mizuno Pro 223 (4-AW) Modus3 120s
Driver
Titleist TSi2 Graphite Design Tour AD XC-50s
Hi Dennis ... I agree with you about those "lookalike" English golfers! - In respect of what it takes to convince a professional to drop what's been working & change to something else, I'd suggest a bucket load of cash! - You could ask the same question about staying on the PGA & DP World Tours or moving to the LIV one?
All just my humble opinions of course ... PB ;)

DennisMiller

HCP
Old Age
Local club/country
Killian Greens Golf Club
Irons
MX-1000
Driver
ST-180
I'd suggest a bucket load of cash.
That is probably true. Cash has certainly driven players to the LIV Tour or to show up for tournaments they might not play otherwise, in the form of appearance fees.

I've been thinking about this a bit today. I wonder if a brand change is as traumatic as we think it might be?

We always hear the pros have highly detailed specs, tiny adjustments that suit them. I'll guess a brand offering their equipment to attract a pro will have a pretty good idea of those specs and what they ask a pro to try isn't going to be far off what the pro is familiar with.

And then there's the cash...

Top Bottom