HCP
Old Age
Local club/country
Killian Greens Golf Club
Irons
MX-1000
Driver
ST-180
I'm going through an interesting experiment. Contrary to what I wrote in the thread about the new drivers coming out, how I never seem to find differences with movable weights and all that, here's an example of something that I do notice.

I have 2 sets of irons, both 5-PW, a set of Mizuno MP-H4 forged irons with senior flex shafts and a set of PRGR RS Red irons with Japanese shafts they designate to be M-40. Various ads will tell you M-40 is senior, regular and even sometimes stiff, but here's the thing... The most reputable place I spoke to says they are regular and M-37 would be soft regular bordering on senior flex.

The PRGR irons, a 2019 model, have extremely strong lofts, from 5-PW, 23*, 25*, 27*, 31*, 36* and 41*...

The MP-H4 irons are 2012, if I'm not mistaken, and they are, also 5-PW, 27*, 30*, 34*, 38*, 42* and 46*...

I hit the PRGR set just slightly farther, probably not even a full club each. On the other hand, the Mizunos feel a lot better and I think the feel might be what I opt for.

The point is, the strong lofts more than make up for the stiffer shaft, but the senior flex in the Mizunos is probably where I get distance from. The PRGRs don't feel badly, but the Mizunos simply feel better.

For now, I think I'm going to stick with the Mizunos.

LOS

Local club/country
England
Looking at the PRGER site the M40 is between Stiff and Regular, SR soes not mean Senior.

1689828335675.png

DennisMiller

HCP
Old Age
Local club/country
Killian Greens Golf Club
Irons
MX-1000
Driver
ST-180
The PRGR distributor in California talked to me about that and explained Japanese shafts tend to run slightly softer than what we are used to with American made clubs. She suggested M-40 is more what we would know as regular flex. One way or the other, such strong lofts are definitely making up for whatever distance I'm losing with a shaft that's not as well suited for me.

DennisMiller

HCP
Old Age
Local club/country
Killian Greens Golf Club
Irons
MX-1000
Driver
ST-180
In the meantime, I'm trying to identify a Mizuno iron with lofts as strong as the PRGR irons.

DennisMiller

HCP
Old Age
Local club/country
Killian Greens Golf Club
Irons
MX-1000
Driver
ST-180
Allied to this thread, yesterday, I called Mizuno in Atlanta and asked what model might have stronger lofts. Apparently, the 923 Hot Metal is pretty much the first and only line with slightly stronger lofts, ending with a 42.5 degree PW.

I know loft can be a mental cure and it obviously leaves the open question about how to fill in gaps until a set finally reaches the maximum loft any given player wants. The thing is, with so many other manufacturers making sets with strong lofts, like the 41* PW in my PRGR set, I hope Mizuno isn't missing the bus.

Top Bottom