Incorrect Specs

gravvy

Local club/country
United States
Anyone have issues with Mizuno CS after ordering irons with incorrect specs? Placed an order and noticed some issues after about a bucket of balls. Had the specs measured on a Mitchell and came back with numbers all over the place. Swingweights were low across the board and lofts varied from 1* strong to 2* weak when they all should have been 1* strong

Clubs went back to Mizuno to be checked and the club builders said they would try to get as close to the ordered swing weight as possible and that the irons had to be bent to the specs ordered. I don't want a set that's being manipulated to what I ordered and is "close" to the swing weight I ordered - I want them to be built to the appropriate specs and with the correct swing weight . Mizuno doesn't want to take the clubs back, but I'm struggling to understand why they'd expect me to spend $900+ for something that's not what I ordered.

Tower Ranch GC in Kelowna British Columbia Canada
HCP
Local club/country
Chilliwack Golf and Country Club
Irons
Mizuno JPX 923 Tour and Mizuno T22 wedges
Every OEM has target specs in their build. Mizuno has a good reputation for their builds. If you want absolute perfect, Tour quality specs, you have to use a independent clubfitter. This is the route I took and I have never been more satisfied with my equipment. I’ve been using Ben Guinta from The Tour Van. Ben worked on Tour for Nike. Give him a look. Getting your clubs’ specs perfect will cost you a bit of money but you’ll get exactly what you are asking for. For instance, I asked for my driver head to hotmelted to 206G without adapter. Ben nailed it at 206.1G. He sent a picture in a text of the head on his scale to show me where he ended up.

MPX

Administrator
Staff member
HCP
Local club/country
UK
Irons
JPX919 Hot Metal Pro 4-PW (C Taper Lite stiff), T20 wedges chrome - 50 / 56
Driver
ST-Z driver, ST200x 3wood, ST200x 5 wood
Afraid i don't know too much about the US production line. The one in Scotland is as good as anything you'll find. Should be no reason to find an independent builder.

Brattz

HCP
Pro
Local club/country
Derby Golf Centre
Irons
Mizuno JPX 919 Tour (4-PW) - Project X LZ 6.5 120g - 0.5° Flat - 1/2"+
Driver
Titleist TS3 - HC Project X LZ17 6.5 60g, 9.5°, A1 - 11g
I had a similar experience with Scotland to be fair. Clubs arrived and straight away knew something wasn’t right, looked wrong at address.
I took my clubs to my club pro who put them on the digital lie table and they varied from 0.5° to 2.5° upright..... even though they were supposed to be 0.5° flat!!!
Instead of returning them to Mizuno and being without clubs for 2-3weeks my club pro sorted them without a single mark on them.

Wasn’t the first time if had something wrong either! Previous custom order of MP25s came with standard grips on instead of MCC+4 midsized with extra layer of tape.

QC not what I had previously experienced or expected for that matter.

HCP
Local club/country
United States
Irons
TM Burner 2.0 4-GW, std length, std loft, 2 degrees upright stock stiff shafts
Driver
TM M3, Tensei Blue Stiff shaft
Ordered Mizuno JPX 921 Hot Metal Pro irons (5-GW), standard lie and length, 2 degrees upright, Dynamic Gold AMT Tour White R300 shafts, MCC+4 Align with 4 layers of buildup tape (because Mizuno does not carry mid-size grips in this model) on October 13, 2020 through Golf Galaxy (Order #: 801029). I was quoted three weeks lead time for delivery. Received my irons on November 12, 2020, just about 30 days. Opened the box and found the 5-iron was marked as S300 and the rest of the irons R300. Checked the packing list and it showed all at R300, as ordered. Checked the packing list for the buildup tape on the grips and it was NOT noted. On November 13, 2020, called Golf Galaxy who called Mizuno. Golf Galaxy instructed me to bring the 5-iron to Golf Galaxy, GG is to "blow off" the grip of the 5-iron to check the shaft and grip tape. If wrong sticker was placed on correct shaft, take the sticker off, put the grip back on and return to me. If it is the wrong shaft, send the club back and Mizuno will send a correct club. GG told me that Mizuno could not verify if the 4 layers of buildup tape was applied or not. GG will check when they take the grip off to check the shaft.
Yesterday I took the clubs to GG. The 5 iron was R300 so they took the sticker off and will get me a correct sticker. When they took the grip off, there was only one layer of build-up tape on a standard grip. GG replaced all standard grips with mid-size grips that were in stock. I then had GG check the lofts and lie on all the clubs. GG checked the fitting 7-iron to check the calibration of their equipment and it was correct. My irons, the 5, 6, and 7 were 1 degree upright (should be 2 degrees upright), the 8, 9, PW, were all 1.5 degrees upright, and the GW was correct at 2 degrees upright. One out of seven clubs was correct lie and none had the correct grip size. After paying almost $1,000 for custom clubs, should Mizuno expect me to drive an hour to GG and have them take the club apart to check the build specifications for/from Mizuno? Then I had to wait for the results and decision. Mizuno STILL hasn't reached out to me to apologize or make things right. Quality Control and Customer Service have been lacking. I SUGGEST EVERYONE WITH MIZUNO CUSTOM CLUBS INDEPENDANTLY HAVE THEIR CLUB BUILD SPECIFICATIONS CHECKED!!!!

Mizuno USA

Staff member
HCP
Local club/country
United States
Irons
MP 20 HMB 3,4 iron, JPX 921 Tour 5-PW
Driver
ST200 10.5, HZRDUS Smoke Green 70 Small Batch 6.0
Ordered Mizuno JPX 921 Hot Metal Pro irons (5-GW), standard lie and length, 2 degrees upright, Dynamic Gold AMT Tour White R300 shafts, MCC+4 Align with 4 layers of buildup tape (because Mizuno does not carry mid-size grips in this model) on October 13, 2020 through Golf Galaxy (Order #: 801029). I was quoted three weeks lead time for delivery. Received my irons on November 12, 2020, just about 30 days. Opened the box and found the 5-iron was marked as S300 and the rest of the irons R300. Checked the packing list and it showed all at R300, as ordered. Checked the packing list for the buildup tape on the grips and it was NOT noted. On November 13, 2020, called Golf Galaxy who called Mizuno. Golf Galaxy instructed me to bring the 5-iron to Golf Galaxy, GG is to "blow off" the grip of the 5-iron to check the shaft and grip tape. If wrong sticker was placed on correct shaft, take the sticker off, put the grip back on and return to me. If it is the wrong shaft, send the club back and Mizuno will send a correct club. GG told me that Mizuno could not verify if the 4 layers of buildup tape was applied or not. GG will check when they take the grip off to check the shaft.
Yesterday I took the clubs to GG. The 5 iron was R300 so they took the sticker off and will get me a correct sticker. When they took the grip off, there was only one layer of build-up tape on a standard grip. GG replaced all standard grips with mid-size grips that were in stock. I then had GG check the lofts and lie on all the clubs. GG checked the fitting 7-iron to check the calibration of their equipment and it was correct. My irons, the 5, 6, and 7 were 1 degree upright (should be 2 degrees upright), the 8, 9, PW, were all 1.5 degrees upright, and the GW was correct at 2 degrees upright. One out of seven clubs was correct lie and none had the correct grip size. After paying almost $1,000 for custom clubs, should Mizuno expect me to drive an hour to GG and have them take the club apart to check the build specifications for/from Mizuno? Then I had to wait for the results and decision. Mizuno STILL hasn't reached out to me to apologize or make things right. Quality Control and Customer Service have been lacking. I SUGGEST EVERYONE WITH MIZUNO CUSTOM CLUBS INDEPENDANTLY HAVE THEIR CLUB BUILD SPECIFICATIONS CHECKED!!!!
We're certainly sorry to hear about this negative experience with your recent custom order. Pleased to know that everything is the way it should've been from the beginning, but very sorry for the road you had to take to get there. We've always held our QC at a high standard, so it is very frustrating hearing a story like this. If you run into any future concerns with your order, please don't hesitate to contact us at consumer.support@mizunousa.com.

Top Bottom