Incorrect shafts

HCP
Local club/country
United Kingdom
Irons
JPX 921 Forged (4-PW)
Hi,

I recently picked up my new JPX 921 forged (4-PW) irons from my fitter. Order was placed around mid-December and collected 3rd April. The forged head looks and feels amazing - Mizuno have done a great job and it was definitely worth the wait. However, after a few range sessions and playing out on the course I noticed that I have the wrong shafts. My fitter used the DNA custom fit process and we established that the True Temper Dynamic Gold Steel X100 (130g) shafts were the best fit for my game. Instead, the stickers on the clubs are showing True Temper AMT Tour White X100, which from what I have read online has the same DNA profile as the dynamic gold but is lighter in the longer irons and heavier in the shorter irons. This apparently helps some players flight the ball more easily in the longer clubs, although this is not something that I struggle with, in fact, I prefer a lower penetrating ball flight and I sometimes find it difficult to keep the trajectory low, hence why my fitter recommended the dynamic gold. I personally feel that having different weights for each club just adds another variable to the game and is inconsistent. I assumed my fitter would have double checked everything when the clubs arrived and so I did not even think to check myself. Since I have already used them how can this be solved. Should I contact Mizuno or my fitter? This is quite disappointing (I’m not sure if this is my fitter’s fault or Mizuno’s fault) especially since I have been waiting so long and now the excitement of getting new irons after nearly 6 years has disappeared. Also, my fitter did not give me a build sheet (I did not know these even existed until reading on the forum), so I cannot check whether I simply got someone else’s order or if this was what my fitter ordered. Will I receive a replacement set or will it be a case of swapping out the shafts? I’m not keen on the latter as pulling the shafts and fitting new ones may damage or weaken the clubs and the whole point of getting a custom fit was to ensure I get the optimal shafts for my game and don’t need to change them. If I get a replacement, will I be able to keep the old clubs in the meantime and how long can I expect to wait for the new ones?

Thanks,
Raj

DCB

HCP
Local club/country
Midlothian, Scotland http://www.merchantsgolf.com
Irons
My ReHab Bag - Mizuno JPX 900 HM 5-GW A Shafts, JPX EX 4H, JPX 900 5 & 7 Wood Orochi RL Shafts.
Driver
JPX 900
Raj

Bad news but you'll really need to back to your fitter to get this sorted, assuming he placed the order with mizuno for the build. Hope you get sorted out quickly.

HCP
Local club/country
United Kingdom
Irons
JPX 921 Forged (4-PW)
Just spoke with my fitter who said the clubs were ordered and built with Mizuno. He is going to do some digging and get back to me shortly.

MPX

Administrator
Staff member
HCP
Local club/country
UK
Irons
JPX919 Hot Metal Pro 4-PW (C Taper Lite stiff), T20 wedges chrome - 50 / 56
Driver
ST-Z driver, ST200x 3wood, ST200x 5 wood
Fault could lie at either end - but the person to sort it for you is the fitter. They'll follow it through for you.

HCP
Local club/country
United Kingdom
Irons
JPX 921 Forged (4-PW)
This is the response I had from the fitter:
I understand you are uncertain of the shafts that have arrived in the set of irons. When they arrived in the shop all of the specs of the clubs were checked against the initial custom fit to Mizuno. We are 100% happy that the clubs arrived as ordered.

The shafts fitted were the AMT Tour White X100. The shaft is known in the industry as AMT, its official title is True Temper - Dynamic Gold - AMT Tour White. A bit of a mouth full hence why it's known as the AMT.​
My understanding is that AMT and Dynamic Gold are two completely different shafts both made by True Temper. See - https://www.truetemper.com/true-temper-golf-shafts/#grouping--1
Although the AMT shaft has the same performance DNA profile as the dynamic gold, it is lighter in the longer irons and heavier in the shorter irons hence the name Ascending Mass Technology.

WalkerCup

HCP
Scratch
Local club/country
British Isles
Irons
Mizuno JPX 921 Forged 4-PW KBS Tour 120 Stiff , 3 Deg up plus 1”
Driver
Ping G425 Max 10.5 HZRDS Blue Stiff
If the worst comes to the worst Raj, you'll find the AMT X100 exceptional shafts, Id stick with them. Do you know what shafts you had in your previous set to compare, were you fitted previously? Straight X100s you'll definatley know about them when swinging thy are as heavy as you can get.

HCP
Local club/country
United Kingdom
Irons
JPX 921 Forged (4-PW)
Thanks for your reply WalkerCup. This was my first custom fit as I decided I would like to take the sport more seriously.
Previously, I had the Mizuno JPX 825 irons with regular dynamic gold shafts. These worked very well for me as a junior golfer since they were lightweight and my swing speed was relatively slow. However, since then I have gained significantly more strength and speed (around 110-115mph with a driver). When I was getting fit for the irons, I found that the heavier shaft provided much more control over my shots and produced a more penetrating ball flight.

HCP
Local club/country
Nizels
Irons
JPX 921 forged 6 - GW Project X LZ 6.0 blackout shaft
Driver
Cobra speedzone
At least you were lucky, my 921 forged came back with the wrong shafts in them. I ordered project Lz 6.0 in 6,7,8 and 9 irons and project lz 5.5 in the PW and GW. The came with 5.5 in the 6,7,8,9 and 6.0 in the PW and GW. So I have had to return them, and I don’t know how long they will take to send them back to me. It was a mistake their end, they built the wrong spec.

HCP
Local club/country
United Kingdom
Irons
JPX 921 Forged (4-PW)
Sorry to hear. It is indeed very frustrating especially having waited so long.
I have a few questions for you:
Do you know if it was a fault on the fitter's end or with Mizuno?
Did you notice they were the wrong shafts before you used them?
Did they offer you a complete replacement or only to change the shafts themselves?
Were you allowed to keep the current clubs until the new ones arrive?
Thanks, hope you also manage to resolve it soon.

HCP
Local club/country
Nizels
Irons
Driver
Cobra speedzone
The fault was with Mizuno, the instructions that were sent to them weren’t followed correctly by the fitters and Mizuno doubled signed off the production order. I noticed the mistake as soon as I opened the box up, I have had to send the clubs back so they can take the shafts out and fit them with the correct shafts in them. It didn‘t help also that it was a double bank holiday weekend, so it’s going to take much longer than normal. It’s annoying as I am playing with just a 7 iron and sand wedge for my irons because i sold my other irons knowing that I would be receiving my Mizunos on a certain date.

HCP
Local club/country
United Kingdom
Irons
JPX 921 Forged (4-PW)
That is unfortunate indeed. I also sold my previous irons so if I need to return these I will be left with only my woods and wedges.
In my case, I think the fitter has made the error but does not want to admit it.
I only noticed the error with the shafts after I played 9 holes.
Did Mizuno not offer to send brand new clubs rather than pulling and refitting the shafts? From what I’ve read the heat from the process can cause some damage/weaken the club.

HCP
Local club/country
Nizels
Irons
Driver
Cobra speedzone
I called them up and they said that they would wait for my clubs to be returned before sending them out again, I dont understand why they can’t send new clubs out as it’s their mistake and I am left without any clubs for the foreseeable future.

HCP
Local club/country
United Kingdom
Irons
JPX 921 Forged (4-PW)
Could someone from Mizuno confirm whether the dynamic gold x100 130g shaft is in the fitting selection at the standard length?

HCP
Local club/country
United Kingdom
Irons
JPX 921 Forged (4-PW)
Also, If possible, could a Mizuno official clarify in writing that dynamic gold and AMT are two different shafts. My fitter is saying that I have the Dyanmic Gold X100 AMT but this does not exist on the website - there is only dynamic gold x100 and AMT x100.
thanks

MTR

HCP
f0re
Local club/country
EU
Irons
MP-9-11-14-29-37-20
What did your fitter fit you into, X100 or AMT (White) X100? Both are available so he should be able to order accordingly. The two shortest AMT shafts (raw 37-37.5") are identical to the normal X100, the next three have a 0.5" shorter first step an the longest four another 0.5" shorter one, resulting in a faster decrease in stiffness and combined with the decreasing weight 'should' be easier to launch while keeping the speed up. Depending on the kit our fitter has they both should be in there at std and +0.5" over length. Ask your fitter, he should know (if not, run).
https://www.truetemper.com/products/iron-shafts-amt-tour-white/
https://www.truetemper.com/products/iron-shafts-dynamic-gold-tour-issue/

Mizuno.png

HCP
Local club/country
United Kingdom
Irons
JPX 921 Forged (4-PW)
I am convinced that I was fit for the Dynamic Gold X100 steel (130g) shafts and I clearly remember seeing this shaft come up on the Mizuno DNA fitting results and discussing how the heavier weight would benefit my game. The term AMT - ascending mass technology was never mentioned or explained to me at the time, I only discovered I had the wrong shafts after trying out the clubs and feeling a noticeable difference in the weighting across the irons and then seeing the sticker on the shafts.

The fitter is saying:

1) The AMT Tour White is a dynamic gold shaft
2) Mizuno doesn’t supply the fitters with the dynamic gold x100 shaft in a standard length for the fitting cart used in custom fits and so the AMT is 100% correct
3) due to a programming issue with the Mizuno fitting app the hard data from the fitting is lost when the app is closed. As such the final fitting order summary is created from scratch once the fitting has concluded - surely this opens up the possibility for errors, for example, if the fitter incorrectly remembers the recommended specifications.

Any advice on how to proceed would be much appreciated.

Thanks

MTR

HCP
f0re
Local club/country
EU
Irons
MP-9-11-14-29-37-20
Wow, sounds like poor communication (which is an important part of a fitters toolkit) at least. The result of a fit should always be 100% clear and satisfactory to both. Still, he should fix this so you ultimately get to play what fits you. It looks like you only hit from the cart in which case the AMT X100 and DG X100 are two different shafts. It's easy to see which you hit, just check whether the first step is 1.75"or 1.25". The DG shows up in the PFS screen at 130g, the AMT at 121g, clearly marked as Dynamic Gold X and AMT Tour White X respectively.

1) AMT was originally build on/an extension of the DG line, so semantically might be correct. But the AMT White X100 and the DG X100 remain two different shafts, both in weight and EI. DG in dark blue & AMT (mid iron spec) in yellow:
EI.png
2) depends on how far back his cart goes. Easy to see which one at what length (if only one) is in there. I've never seen a fitter without the original X100 though.
3) that's what the save session & print buttons are for, why you can even email the result and the fitter KEEPS NOTES and prints & copies the final detailed spec.
AMT.png
DG.png

Advice depends on your trust in the fitter and his attitude to resolve. In short you should get what you were fit for, period. Additionally you must be able to trust that you were fitted correctly. He either gives you this confidence somehow or he fits you again, now with proper documentation & feedback and hopefully (?) the same actual result. From the reply you quoted it seems he ordered the AMT from Mizuno which were delivered and verified on spec in which case the issue is with the fitting process, not the build. So if AMT in fact turns out the best fit, you already have those at the ready.

HCP
Local club/country
United Kingdom
Irons
JPX 921 Forged (4-PW)
Thanks for your reply.

I definitely remember seeing DG X100 130g on the screen and not AMT X100 121g. In fact I didn’t even know AMT existed until I saw the sticker on the clubs hence why I’m convinced my fitter has made an error.

What do you mean by the first step is to check if it’s 1.75” or 1.25”?

MTR

HCP
f0re
Local club/country
EU
Irons
MP-9-11-14-29-37-20
See the AMT shaft drawing. The X100 has 1.75" steps throughout, as do the AMT short irons (those are identical), while the AMT mid irons have a 1.25" top step. The shaft in the cart can be identified no matter the labeling.

MPX

Administrator
Staff member
HCP
Local club/country
UK
Irons
JPX919 Hot Metal Pro 4-PW (C Taper Lite stiff), T20 wedges chrome - 50 / 56
Driver
ST-Z driver, ST200x 3wood, ST200x 5 wood
That's a lot to catch up on.

1. Looks like Mizuno supplied exactly what was ordered by the fitter.
2. Debate is whether what was ordered was what you asked for.......afraid we can't help with that as we weren't there.

For anyone else - our software produces a fitting summary. The retailer can give you a copy of this at the end as a record. Personally i wouldn't want to walk away without the spec confirmed and written down.

My hunch is that you probably were fitted for the shafts you now have......maybe the True Temper element of the name was a curve ball. It's easy for the eyes to be distracted / deceived with everything that's happening in the fitting. But without having a note / photo / confirmation - you don't really have anything to work with.

My best advice (from me not Mizuno). Enjoy the irons.

Last edited:
Top Bottom