HCP
Old Age
Local club/country
Killian Greens Golf Club
Irons
MX-1000
Driver
ST-180
It's reaching that time of year when I become a 9 hole player. It's just too hot and humid to play 18 when some of my medications reduce heat tolerance. Last Monday, I shot 41 on the front nine at Killian Greens. I was sort of happy in retrospect, when I looked back on the round. I hit every fairway, 7 greens, putted like a spastic baboon with a putter I haven't used in years, (wondering if I wanted to keep it or sell it), and in general, realized I'd hit the ball pretty well after not playing for nearly 3 weeks while I was traveling.

Speaking of which... (unrelated to the thread) I saw my older granddaughter graduate Cum Laude from high school in Raleigh, NC, then flew to Oregon to meet my birth family in person for the first time. We've known each other for 3 years and talk every day, but due to Covid and forest fires near them, this was the first time we were able to be together.

My brother-in-law Bob is a ridiculously avid golfer. He makes me look like I never heard of the game, so driving around sightseeing with him was a treat, to have someone to talk golf with when I wasn't going crazy over the gorgeous scenery of the Pacific Northwest.

Last edited:

DennisMiller

HCP
Old Age
Local club/country
Killian Greens Golf Club
Irons
MX-1000
Driver
ST-180
I played last Friday and shot the same 41 on the same front side at Killian Greens. The difference was, I hit my irons sort of poorly, but putted like a wizard. I also got up and down twice from the sand.

I'm playing tomorrow morning and if I shoot 41 again, I'm going to think I'm jinxed.

PaulBoy

HCP
WHS 7.0
Local club/country
Army GC
Irons
Mizuno Pro 223 (4-AW) Modus3 120s
Driver
Titleist TSi2 Graphite Design Tour AD XC-50s
Hi Dennis ... You sound happy enough with 41 so does it really matter how you get there? - Golf is very annoying in respect of how it seems to mess with your head every time you play? - I don't have many days when I put like a wizard (as you did) but I can miss two or three six foot putts and then drain one from thirty feet!
As a senior golfer, I just want to hit a few great shots per round & that is enough to encourage me to try again another day!

DennisMiller

HCP
Old Age
Local club/country
Killian Greens Golf Club
Irons
MX-1000
Driver
ST-180
As a senior golfer, I just want to hit a few great shots per round & that is enough to encourage me to try again another day!
That's very much how I look at things these days too. In another thread, I mentioned my thoughts about joining a senior league and I've only kept score more seriously in recent weeks, for the most part to help establish some sort of handicap. Until recently, if I realized I've started off well, I'll count things up and keep score for the rest of the round, but most times, I don't bother.

As for being happy with the 41s on the front nine at Killian Greens, I'm probably no different than any other golfer. In other words, my initial thoughts are how many shots I could have saved, maybe breaking 40. It's almost always in retrospect that I realize I didn't play badly at all.

(EDIT) I fell stepping out of a bunker yesterday. I stepped out of the sand onto the grassy lip and it collapsed back into the sand. I fell on my side with a couple golf balls in my pocket and I've bruised my hip. It hurt enough that I quit after 6 holes and just drove my friend around to finish 9. For the first 6 holes, I probably shot 41 again. :)

Br1an_g

HCP
Local club/country
Downfield
Irons
Srixon ZX5 mk2 4-gw Nippon modus NS pro 105x
Driver
Callaway rogue st max 9.5 fujikura vista pro 65s,
82 today in a friendly match. sun was shining, greens were fast and true. A good day for golf.

Br1an_g

HCP
Local club/country
Downfield
Irons
Driver
Played the Roxburgh yesterday, what a tough track. Greens need a bit of tlc but I do like the layout and design. Was very hot and a bit of a trek between holes so glad we got a buggy. 😁

Halebopp

HCP
Local club/country
Lakeside Golf Vammala, Finland
Irons
MP-H5/53/4
Driver
MP-650/ST180
My round got off to a roller-coaster start yesterday. Started off with a birdie, parred the second hole and then pushed my tee shot on the third slightly right, over the fairway bunkers and towards the adjacent fairway. We never found the ball so that was it for a stroke-play score.

But I went on to tie my personal best of four birdies, including back-to-back birdies, had one birdie lip out and also one bogey putt lipped out after hitting 3 off the tee. 40 points, +5 for 17 holes with two S&D penalties, both after too ambitious club selections and ensuing bad strokes.

It was enough to convince me to sign up for the club championships this weekend. Maybe this time around I won't make a total fool out of myself. :)

PaulBoy

HCP
WHS 7.0
Local club/country
Army GC
Irons
Driver
My round got off to a roller-coaster start yesterday. Started off with a birdie, parred the second hole and then pushed my tee shot on the third slightly right, over the fairway bunkers and towards the adjacent fairway. We never found the ball so that was it for a stroke-play score.

But I went on to tie my personal best of four birdies, including back-to-back birdies, had one birdie lip out and also one bogey putt lipped out after hitting 3 off the tee. 40 points, +5 for 17 holes with two S&D penalties, both after too ambitious club selections and ensuing bad strokes.

It was enough to convince me to sign up for the club championships this weekend. Maybe this time around I won't make a total fool out of myself. :)
Sounds like you will shoot the lights out if you can rule out those pesky errors? - Hope you play well in the Club Champs?
I usually play Mon / Wed / Thur and wonder if I might play better if I played less? - I was down in Devon last week to meet my new grand-daughter & for my other's 3rd birthday bash - I therefore missed my usual Fri & Mon games & turned up on Wed for the weekly individual comp (the others are team rollups) - I had 39pts & if my putter had have been even lukewarm, would have been well up in the 40's - Like a lot of courses in the South, there is so much run on the ball as the fairways have dried to a crisp - Better news for the ageing seniors I play with than me (as they can still hit driver everywhere) - I can only hit driver once on the front 9 at my course, but a 5 wood is going about 280y! - Scores in our rollups have been ridiculous - Usually a score of 40 or more would be rare & a winning one, but we had SEVEN over 40pts the other day, with 45pts taking the honours - We had one 1/2 day of rain this week, but the temperature has calmed down thankfully - I'm being careful about what I say about it being too hot, as in no time I will be complaining about it being too wet!

DennisMiller

HCP
Old Age
Local club/country
Killian Greens Golf Club
Irons
MX-1000
Driver
ST-180
OK - Here's a riddle for you... I played 9 holes Monday morning. How do you shoot 43, (8 over), while making 6 pars and 1 birdie?

I guess the answer could be, "It's Dennis, so anything is possible."

Here's a hint... I made 11 on the par 4 first hole.

Three balls in the lake helped, not to mention the subsequent 3 putt... Then I parred 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 and 7, with a lip out birdie putt on 2 holes. I bogeyed 8 when I missed a 2 foot par putt for a sandy. Then I birdied the 9th with a 6 foot putt to finish.

Honestly, I didn't know whether to be happy, sad, mad, frustrated or what. I wish I could drink to excess...

2klix

HCP
Local club/country
Thorney Park Golf Club, Iver, Bucks
Irons
JPX 900 Chromoly 4&5i, 900 Forged 6-PW, Mizuno MP-T7 50°, 55°, 60° (all irons KBS Tour 90 Stiff)
Driver
Mizuno JPX900 10.5° Fujikura6 Stiff Shaft
OK - Here's a riddle for you... I played 9 holes Monday morning. How do you shoot 43, (8 over), while making 6 pars and 1 birdie?

Three balls in the lake helped, not to mention the subsequent 3 putt... Then I parred 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 and 7, with a lip out birdie putt on 2 holes. I bogeyed 8 when I missed a 2 foot par putt for a sandy. Then I birdied the 9th with a 6 foot putt to finish.

Honestly, I didn't know whether to be happy, sad, mad, frustrated or what. I wish I could drink to excess...
Happens to best of us Denis, saw Morikawa put 2 in water for 10 last night.

PaulBoy

HCP
WHS 7.0
Local club/country
Army GC
Irons
Driver

As usual Dennis, you are being way too hard on yourself! - I also don't get the fascination the US has with strokeplay? - The vast majority of golf I play, & would suggest most people play here in the UK, is stableford (points) based - So your 11 just counts as zero points & you still have scored really well on the remaining 8 holes, well above the 18pts / equivalent to a par score for your handicap ...

Halebopp

HCP
Local club/country
Lakeside Golf Vammala, Finland
Irons
MP-H5/53/4
Driver
MP-650/ST180
Not quite what I hoped from the club championships The first round of the day went quite well outside of two terrible drives and shanking a wedge shot around the green on both of those two holes resulting in triple bogeys on my way to an 88. The shots weren't quite there and the putter was cold.

Then the second round, on our tougher course went really badly. I was hitting fairways off the tee with my hybrid as I was playing very safely but my "slightly off" irons turned into hooks and, combined with strong winds, approach shots became a complete mess. The 28ºC temps and high humidity didn't help much with the rounds taking a bit over 9 hours to play.

Needless to say, I didn't make the cut but I wasn't the last one either. :)

tomvk77

HCP
Local club/country
GC de Koepel, netherlands
Irons
Mizuno JPX 921 Forged KBS Tour Stiff 4-pw
Driver
Callaway Rogue ST Max LS 10.5 set to 9.5
Mens competition shotgun start started my round on hole 8! Worst finish i could think of.

tomvk77

HCP
Local club/country
GC de Koepel, netherlands
Irons
Mizuno JPX 921 Forged KBS Tour Stiff 4-pw
Driver
Callaway Rogue ST Max LS 10.5 set to 9.5
Mens competition shotgun start started my round on hole 8! Worst finish i could think of.
made an 8 on hole 7 to post a 78 (+8)

DennisMiller

HCP
Old Age
Local club/country
Killian Greens Golf Club
Irons
MX-1000
Driver
ST-180
As usual Dennis, you are being way too hard on yourself! - I also don't get the fascination the US has with strokeplay? - The vast majority of golf I play, & would suggest most people play here in the UK, is stableford (points) based - So your 11 just counts as zero points & you still have scored really well on the remaining 8 holes, well above the 18pts / equivalent to a par score for your handicap ...
Hey Paul...

When I lived in Jamaica, the Stableford was the most repeated style of tournament. To me, stroke play is what my brain defaults to, probably because I see it as the measurement on the pro tours I watch.

Secondary to that, I'm not playing tournaments because I don't belong to any formal club or tournament association, so anything different than gross score is not on my radar.. The senior golf league i mentioned some time ago never came to be and fell apart. Since I guess at my handicap, I rarely consider what a net score would be.

Yes, I could express my score in points, but for just 9 holes that I play in the heat and humidity this time of year, it's not as relatable to you guys who regularly play 18. I don't know... I just tend to think in relationship to par instead of anything else.

You commented that I sound happy with 41. Well, I guess it depends on how I got there. There are ways to shoot 41 that I feel are much more or much less frustrating than other ways.

On the front 9 at Killian Greens, 41 is a good score for me if I consider the condition of my current game. The thing is, the back 9 is much easier and I would be ashamed of not breaking 40 on that 9 holes. If I shoot 41 on the front, I'd typically hope to break 80, based on what I know I'm capable of on the back.

Of course, my memory is a horrible thing. At the age of 65, I shot a 32 on the front, but followed it with a 44 on the back. I'd like to forget that round.

DennisMiller

HCP
Old Age
Local club/country
Killian Greens Golf Club
Irons
MX-1000
Driver
ST-180
Just for the sake of resurrecting this older thread... (I'm Jewish, so I'm not supposed to resurrect anything)... I played 9 this morning.

I hit every fairway with my ST-Z driver. I wish I could tell you i hit a bunch of greens too, but let's just say I got in a lot of chipping practice. I also hit 2 bunker shots within 4' of the hole and missed both putts. To paraphrase Helen Reddy, "I am golfer, hear me roar!"

42... Not good...

DennisMiller

HCP
Old Age
Local club/country
Killian Greens Golf Club
Irons
MX-1000
Driver
ST-180
And yesterday, I did nearly the exact same thing. I hit my driver like some tour pros wish they could... well not really, but I can dream, right? I hit every fairway, only hit 3 greens, 3 putted one of them, only got up and down once for par and in general, felt like I played pretty good golf with no reward.

Br1an_g

HCP
Local club/country
Downfield
Irons
Driver
Getting back out now that the weather is improving. Still a few winter greens on so putting is a bit random. Good to get out again, scoring nothing to write home about but not worrying too much until the course is back to full set up and conditions improve.

DennisMiller

HCP
Old Age
Local club/country
Killian Greens Golf Club
Irons
MX-1000
Driver
ST-180
Today was one of those days when you go home saying, "I hate golf and I can't wait to play the next time, so I can hate it again!"

I've been playing very inconsistently, mostly poor iron play, and all of a sudden today, things came together better. I shot 42, but what was a PITA was taking 5 shots to get down from a bunker on the par 5 second hole. I bladed it over the green, chunked it about 1/2 way back, then 3 putted from the fringe for a triple bogey, on a hole I usually par easily. I realized later, that hole was the difference between breaking 40 on the much tougher front nine. In the end, I guess I shouldn't complain.

The highlight was, I chipped in for birdie from 30 yards out on the #1 handicap hole. All of a sudden, the rules of golf changed while my playing partners rewrote old traditions about who pays for drinks and for what accomplishments.

Top Bottom