HCP
WHS 7.0
Local club/country
Army GC
Irons
Mizuno Pro 223 (4-AW) Modus3 120s
Driver
Titleist TSi2 Graphite Design Tour AD XC-50s
What a frustrating game golf is! - We had our Senior Championships on Monday - Playing medal off white tees (0 - 20 handicaps - 21+ played stableford off yellows) - Hit the ball really well tee to green, but my putting was awful - Finished with 84 / 76 and only needed to hole a few putts to threaten 1st place which was won with 72 :rolleyes: - Played my usual Wednesday fourball today & registered round pre-play - 76 / 68 :mad: - Stupid, stupid game (or maybe stupid, stupid me!)

seanmor

HCP
WHS 18.0
Local club/country
Caprington Golf Club Kilmarnock
Irons
MIZUNO JPX921HM irons 5-PW
Driver
ST-X 230 12.0 deg N.S.Pro 950 GH Neo R flex shaft
My self and Greg Miller played yesterday at Dalmahoy on the East Course in the Mizuno Pairs Tournament,
out of the 86 pairs competing we finished in 46 place with a combined stableford score of 38 points the winning
pairs team score was 45 stableford points.
0CA0A34B-3E31-4246-93CB-362349CC82F9.jpeg

Br1an_g

HCP
Local club/country
Downfield
Irons
Srixon ZX5 mk2 4-gw Nippon modus NS pro 105x
Driver
Callaway rogue st max 9.5 fujikura vista pro 65s,
Game of 2 half's today at the Dalmuir open.
45/36
Couldnt get a handle on the greens on the front but was hitting it well. Had 2 balls OB on the 8th for a 9. Then back in 4 over.
Adjusted gross of 79 for handicap. 😂. Stupid game..

Halebopp

HCP
Local club/country
Lakeside Golf Vammala, Finland
Irons
MP-H5/53/4
Driver
MP-650/ST180
After a busy July working as a rules official for four weeks in a row, it's time to concentrate on my own game and the upcoming club championships.

I need to get my handicap down a bit to ensure I get in to begin with as we play 36 holes a day in the open flight and there's not room for everyone but I got off to good start, playing qualifying rounds on Monday and Tuesday scoring 37 and 36 points respectively knocking 0.4 strokes off my handicap.

The conditions around here are as easy as they'll ever be though. The extremely warm summer has left fairways hard, easily giving 30 meters of extra distance on your drives and a stable footing for your approach shots. The dry rough isn't much of an issue either except when it won't help stop wayward shots.

Last edited:

Halebopp

HCP
Local club/country
Lakeside Golf Vammala, Finland
Irons
MP-H5/53/4
Driver
MP-650/ST180
After a couple of months of struggles, I played the last 12 holes 3 over par, with a seven-hole stretch at one under par on Friday. Having played the first six holes 9 over par, there was just enough daylight to replay the first six holes to see if I could break 80 even theoretically. The second attempt wasn't much better leaving me with a 58-metre shot for a 79. To my surprise I got the ball land and stop within a foot of the hole for a theoretical 80.

So I had to give it another go yesterday and shot 77 for 42 points! 3 birdies and a double bogey. I'm excited and can't wait to get out there again but also fully aware of the fact there's probably less than ten rounds left this season due to diminishing daylight and poor autumn weather.

PaulBoy

HCP
WHS 7.0
Local club/country
Army GC
Irons
Driver
I've had some "interesting" rounds recently - Inconsistent might be the key word here & my WHS index has been up & down like the proverbial fiddler's elbow! - Having gone up to 7.2 I had a series of good rounds which saw me come down to 4.0 (my lowest ever handicap under either system) - Last week however, I had the worst round I can ever remember & shot 27pts which wasn't too bad considering I only scored on 13 holes! - My index for that round increased by .1 - The following day I scored 39pts & my index reduced by .5 - Yesterday I scored 32pts & my index increased by .5 (presume one of my best 8x scores dropped off?) - Whilst still not a big fan of WHS I can see it's merits, though imho it would work much better if golfers were obliged to submit all rounds played (certainly not the case in the UK) rather than being allowed to submit rounds they choose to submit which (again imho) can lead to handicap manipulation (?)

LOS

Local club/country
England
Whilst still not a big fan of WHS I can see it's merits, though imho it would work much better if golfers were obliged to submit all rounds played (certainly not the case in the UK) rather than being allowed to submit rounds they choose to submit which (again imho) can lead to handicap manipulation (?)
In general play we have to sign in beforehand that the score will be used or not used for WHS scoring.
If someone faile to submit their score at the end of the round for their WHS handicap they should explain their reason to the handicap committee who will decide whether it was valid or whether thay should issue a penalty under rule 7.1b.

We have recentky had an email from the club to remind us. It included :-
"Failure to return a score without a valid reason can be seen as a manipulation of your handicap and the WHS has strict rules about what we as a club must do about this. If this does happen then you will be contacted, if it happens a 2nd time we will need to write to you and if it happens a 3rd time your handicap will be suspended for a period of time. "

PaulBoy

HCP
WHS 7.0
Local club/country
Army GC
Irons
Driver
In general play we have to sign in beforehand that the score will be used or not used for WHS scoring.
If someone faile to submit their score at the end of the round for their WHS handicap they should explain their reason to the handicap committee who will decide whether it was valid or whether thay should issue a penalty under rule 7.1b.

We have recentky had an email from the club to remind us. It included :-
"Failure to return a score without a valid reason can be seen as a manipulation of your handicap and the WHS has strict rules about what we as a club must do about this. If this does happen then you will be contacted, if it happens a 2nd time we will need to write to you and if it happens a 3rd time your handicap will be suspended for a period of time. "
That all makes perfect sense? - No such rules or protocols exist at my club? - What happened to what I understood to be the original plan when we switched to WHS, that players were obliged to submit scores for all rounds played, this appears to have become that players can submit scores for all rounds played? - WHS should be administered the same across the UK but clearly this does not appear to be the case?

LOS

Local club/country
England
That all makes perfect sense? - No such rules or protocols exist at my club? - What happened to what I understood to be the original plan when we switched to WHS, that players were obliged to submit scores for all rounds played, this appears to have become that players can submit scores for all rounds played? - WHS should be administered the same across the UK but clearly this does not appear to be the case?

See rule 2.1.a e.g
(iii) Registering Intent to Submit a Scorein General Play.
A player is required to pre-register their intent to submit an acceptable score in general play for handicap purposes.
Such pre-registration must bemade:
..Beforetheplayer starts theround, and
..According to therequirements or conditions established by theHandicap
Committee and/or theAuthorized Association.

TheHandicap Committee may consider a player to havepre-registered their
intent to submit an acceptable score for handicap purposes when playing an
authorized format of play in a regular, organized event with other players.

PaulBoy

HCP
WHS 7.0
Local club/country
Army GC
Irons
Driver
Yes I can see what the rule says - My question still stands ... When we were told that the old CONGU handicap system would be replaced by the WHS, as far as I can recall, the plan was that under WHS players would be required to submit cards for all rounds played & not just competition rounds? - As far as I am aware there is currently no such requirement under WHS? - Players MAY submit scores, but are not REQUIRED to? - Please advise if I have got this wrong or am not understanding how it works correctly?

LOS

Local club/country
England
Yes I can see what the rule says - My question still stands ... When we were told that the old CONGU handicap system would be replaced by the WHS, as far as I can recall, the plan was that under WHS players would be required to submit cards for all rounds played & not just competition rounds? - As far as I am aware there is currently no such requirement under WHS? - Players MAY submit scores, but are not REQUIRED to? - Please advise if I have got this wrong or am not understanding how it works correctly?

Not all rounds are considered acceptable and rule 2.1.a/1 gives some examples.

1634449599706.png

We have some members who did not convert from CONGU to WHS and only play social golf and as such are nut allowed to sign WHS submissions.

Our club is working hard to try and get as many people as possible to submit cards for genral play but it will take time and education.

This winter will be the first real test as the normal winter handicap system will not be used. With an increase in general play due to hardly any comps there should, in theory, be more submissions. There are a number of issues which may people disinclined to submit score:-
1. A combination of remedial work being done by greenkeeping staff and poor weather could reult in very frequent changes to winter greens, tees and slight layout change which will give frequent change to course ratings.
2. Compulsory use of fairway mats for several months.
3.People just want to get out and play in the short amount of time available in the winter with as little hassle as possible.

Over time I expect submissions to increase as it starts to become second nature to golfers and us old fogeys and our memory lapses retire.

PaulBoy

HCP
WHS 7.0
Local club/country
Army GC
Irons
Driver
"Our club is working hard to try and get as many people as possible to submit cards for genral play but it will take time and education"

So I am right then that submitting cards for General Play is optional rather than a requirement under WHS? - Apart from club comps, which are automatically recorded for WHS purposes, my weekly golf (as a retired old codger) is as follows: - Monday & Friday we have a team rollup which are stableford points - Most players embrace WHS & submit cards for all rounds, but there are plenty who do not - The rest of us do our best to encourage these individuals to submit cards & some do mainly due to the embarrassment of being told about it - Wednesday is another rollup but on an individual basis - The majority of players in that rollup submit every card for WHS
I understand your points about winter conditions etc - My club is really only affected by use of a few winter tees as when it gets very wet the course is usually closed & they do not use temporary greens - Were I playing on a course that uses winter tees / fairway mats / temporary greens, I would not be submitting any scores for General Play purposes

WalkerCup

HCP
Scratch
Local club/country
British Isles
Irons
Mizuno JPX 921 Forged 4-PW KBS Tour 120 Stiff , 3 Deg up plus 1”
Driver
Ping G425 Max 10.5 HZRDS Blue Stiff
I think with WHS if you want to play off a low handicap, or lower than you might be ability wise, just submit cards for rounds you have played well in. For those people that want to play off higher handicaps just submit cards that you have played poorly in and play off an inflated handicap. To me those guys playing off too low a. handicap won't win anything and those guys that play off too high a handicap will win prizes, but will have to look at them on the mantlepiece for life and think what a hollow victory. What puts low guys off is the prospect of playing someone off 35 in matchplay, it pretty pointless really. The fairest handicap system was that in the 80s whereby the committee would adjust your handicap accordingly.

I can see why clubs want stablefords all the time as players have to inout their own scores , its very easy work for the completion secretary, see who is top 5 in system, locate their cards and double check... I can remember being a comp sec and it taking a good hour to sort scores double check, count the entrance money and buy the prizes.

My major concern is when vouchers are issued as prizes especially in sponsored competitions whereby Best Net might be GBP 120.00 it does attract some interesting scores from some competitors.

DennisMiller

HCP
Old Age
Local club/country
Killian Greens Golf Club
Irons
MX-1000
Driver
ST-180
I think with WHS if you want to play off a low handicap, or lower than you might be ability wise, just submit cards for rounds you have played well in. For those people that want to play off higher handicaps just submit cards that you have played poorly in and play off an inflated handicap.
I totally agree the low handicapped people won't win, not to mention they will embarrass themselves. And I agree the high handicap player is nothing but a common cheat who will get found out sooner or later. One I know gave up the game because nobody would agree to play with him anymore.

Growing up, during the 50s, 60s and early 70s, my parents had to go through our country club proshop to get a cart or a caddie. If you signed up, you were obligated to turn in a card at the end, provided you didn't have to stop due to injury or weather.

If you didn't turn in a card, your handicap was automatically reduced by 1 stroke. Of course, that was just the rule for most of the country clubs around Louisville. There was no requirement to turn in a card, good or bad, from your play at any other course. That said, there weren't really course ratings to adjust them either.

Br1an_g

HCP
Local club/country
Downfield
Irons
Driver
Played Montrose links for the first time yesterday. Great day with the normal links wind. Decent layout, greens a bit away from being good. 2nd 9 tougher than the first 9 for sure. Lost 5 balls between wind and goarse :rolleyes: finished with an 86. Pcc of 1. Differential 11.7.

tomvk77

HCP
Local club/country
GC de Koepel, netherlands
Irons
Mizuno JPX 921 Forged KBS Tour Stiff 4-pw
Driver
Callaway Rogue ST Max LS 10.5 set to 9.5
It is such a shame golf is played over 18 holes, I am so struggling to get a good round together. I played mens competition Wednesday evening, shot a 79 on a par 70. started off on the 8th a longish par 4 but very narrow landing spot took a 3wood off the tee and topped it, it went just past the reds and ended in really heavy rough, could only heck a sand wedge out, it left me with 210 yards to the pin, hit a great 4iron to about 16 feet and 2 putted for bogey, the ninth a par3 175 yards back wind I thinned a 7iron over the green where the pin was in front, I misjudged the speed slightly and it got stuck on the hill it needed to get over and 2 putted again. Hole 10 a par 5 I snaphooked my driver and lost the ball, made par with the second ball so that was a double. I than kinda got into decent playing making only one bogey more ( hole16 ) on the second 9, witch in fact is more difficult than the front 9. All pars further while just missing a few very good birdie chances. Hole 1 was another disaster topped another teeshot and made a bad choice going for the green still, another lost ball as a result hit a second ball and that was just short of the green didn't calculate the wind well, chip and 2 putts for a triple bogey 7. than made pars all the way to my last hole and had another very bad teeshot way right, I found the ball this time tho and could only play out side ways to the fairway of 8, hit a great 8 iron over trees and green side bunker ( pin was set behind that bunker on the top shelve ) to about 10 feet and just lipped out the par putt, Normally I will have 2-3 birds in a round but didn't get any this round, however I did hole a few good par saves from 6 feet or so. I kinda feel I play well enough to get a mid 70's round in. But all my Q rounds in mens competition are basically the same, shooting round the 80 number.

tomvk77

HCP
Local club/country
GC de Koepel, netherlands
Irons
Mizuno JPX 921 Forged KBS Tour Stiff 4-pw
Driver
Callaway Rogue ST Max LS 10.5 set to 9.5
Last night another 80! 🙈
Had 4 double bogeys 2 bogeys and 2 birds.
Had 3 unplayable lies not even that far of the fairway and one really poor swing (shank)

2klix

HCP
Local club/country
Thorney Park Golf Club, Iver, Bucks
Irons
JPX 900 Chromoly 4&5i, 900 Forged 6-PW, Mizuno MP-T7 50°, 55°, 60° (all irons KBS Tour 90 Stiff)
Driver
Mizuno JPX900 10.5° Fujikura6 Stiff Shaft
Today I shot gross 87 which with handicap is a gross 82, am getting better having had lessons since Easter to remodel swing for more consistency. Now to work on the short game which given I am weekend only player will be challenging 😥

Br1an_g

HCP
Local club/country
Downfield
Irons
Driver
Played dundonald yesterday. Best condition I've seen it in and the new clubhouse is amazing. They really are turning it into a proper destination resort competing with the best. I will say less about my score.. that wasn't as impressive.

Top Bottom