HCP
Old Age
Local club/country
Killian Greens Golf Club
Irons
MX-1000
Driver
ST-180
Yesterday was ugly. If I hadn't putted well, it would have been beyond ugly, leaning towards disgusting. I shot 87 and was shocked it was only that.

Are graphite shafts easier to break than steel?

BigPete

HCP
Local club/country
Ruthin and Pwllglas
Played in the first comp of the year today,
9 over for a net 63 (par 66).
New bats so far so good.
Results not posted yet so we’ll see after the weekend but happy with that
Turns out I was a shot off the prizes, and apparently the comp was non hcp qualifying so no move down 😢
Go again at the weekend 🏌🏻‍♂️

DennisMiller

HCP
Old Age
Local club/country
Killian Greens Golf Club
Irons
MX-1000
Driver
ST-180
Monday morning started off slowly with a 43 on the front side. All of a sudden i started hitting my drives in the fairways and making a few putts around 10 feet. I shot 38 on the back. I haven't broken 40 much in the past year, so it felt pretty good.

PaulBoy

HCP
WHS 7.0
Local club/country
Army GC
Irons
Mizuno Pro 223 (4-AW) Modus3 120s
Driver
Titleist TSi2 Graphite Design Tour AD XC-50s
Monday morning started off slowly with a 43 on the front side. All of a sudden i started hitting my drives in the fairways and making a few putts around 10 feet. I shot 38 on the back. I haven't broken 40 much in the past year, so it felt pretty good.
Well done Dennis - Always nice to know there's some good stuff in the tank! - I've had two rounds myself since golf started here in Englandshire on Monday - After starting my round on Monday with 3x pars, I thought I'd cracked it, but it was downhill all the way from there (just to bring me back down to earth) - Similar today in fact, I was 3 over at the turn & then played the back nine in 8 over - Physically I feel pretty wrecked too, so I guess it will take a few more weeks to get my "golf legs" back? - I have to say it was so good to get back out there & I really didn't give a tinker's cuss what I played like ...

Br1an_g

HCP
Local club/country
Downfield
Irons
Srixon ZX5 mk2 4-gw Nippon modus NS pro 105x
Driver
Callaway rogue st max 9.5 fujikura vista pro 65s,
First full round for me yesterday. 39/42 for 81.

Was a tired finish so I feel the same as PaulBoy. Will take a few rounds to get the golf legs back.

Had a 4 putt in there as well as a chip in for bogey but was striking it pretty well.

Was also my first of 3 cards for handicap as it's lapsed over the past three years being between clubs and not playing any qualifying rounds.

DCB

HCP
Local club/country
Midlothian, Scotland http://www.merchantsgolf.com
Irons
My ReHab Bag - Mizuno JPX 900 HM 5-GW A Shafts, JPX EX 4H, JPX 900 5 & 7 Wood Orochi RL Shafts.
Driver
JPX 900
Good to see you back Br1an_g :)

DCB

HCP
Local club/country
Irons
My ReHab Bag - Mizuno JPX 900 HM 5-GW A Shafts, JPX EX 4H, JPX 900 5 & 7 Wood Orochi RL Shafts.
Driver
JPX 900
Thanks David. Hope you and the family are well. 🙂
All well here Br1an, just waiting for the summer weather to kick in and hopefully get back on the course.

Br1an_g

HCP
Local club/country
Downfield
Irons
Driver
Well after putting in my 3 cards..81/84/95.(adjusted to 80/81/90) Handicap secretary proposed an 11 ..Scottish golf decided on 8.8!:eek: so first time in single figures. Pretty happy with that. Let's see if I can keep it there..:D

PaulBoy

HCP
WHS 7.0
Local club/country
Army GC
Irons
Driver
Well after putting in my 3 cards..81/84/95.(adjusted to 80/81/90) Handicap secretary proposed an 11 ..Scottish golf decided on 8.8!:eek: so first time in single figures. Pretty happy with that. Let's see if I can keep it there..:D
Hi Brian ... Congratulations on your single figure handicap \o/ - Be aware though that if you submit cards on a regular basis, you are in for a rough ride under WHS as handicaps can go up & down quite dramatically - As you may know (for another thread) I was allocated a ridiculous WHS Index of 2.6 (my CONGU handicap was 4.5 on transition) - This was mainly due to there only being 15 recorded scores on my handicap profile on transition - I have submitted cards for every round I have played since WHS started & my WHS Index now stands at 6.2
On the other side of the spectrum, a pal of mine, playing off 10 on transition, was given a WHS Index of 15.4 (again based on recorded scores) he, like myself, submits cards for all rounds now & his handicap has been down to 9 (though currently 10)
Back to your handicap, as was explained to me: A player with no scores on his handicap profile will play off current handicap - A player who submits 3x cards for handicap will play off the best score minus 2 strokes - I don't know the Slope Index for the course you played, but your 8.8 would have been determined from your best score (81/80) - I'm sure a steady golfer like yourself will have no problems keeping single figure status
Paul

Br1an_g

HCP
Local club/country
Downfield
Irons
Driver
Hi Brian ... Congratulations on your single figure handicap \o/ - Be aware though that if you submit cards on a regular basis, you are in for a rough ride under WHS as handicaps can go up & down quite dramatically - As you may know (for another thread) I was allocated a ridiculous WHS Index of 2.6 (my CONGU handicap was 4.5 on transition) - This was mainly due to there only being 15 recorded scores on my handicap profile on transition - I have submitted cards for every round I have played since WHS started & my WHS Index now stands at 6.2
On the other side of the spectrum, a pal of mine, playing off 10 on transition, was given a WHS Index of 15.4 (again based on recorded scores) he, like myself, submits cards for all rounds now & his handicap has been down to 9 (though currently 10)
Back to your handicap, as was explained to me: A player with no scores on his handicap profile will play off current handicap - A player who submits 3x cards for handicap will play off the best score minus 2 strokes - I don't know the Slope Index for the course you played, but your 8.8 would have been determined from your best score (81/80) - I'm sure a steady golfer like yourself will have no problems keeping single figure status
Paul
I'm not sure I would describe my golf as steady at the moment but starting to get in some practice again which is good...😂 but I will be putting in regular cards and I play qualifying away rounds throughout the year so that will help now I have a home club again. I'm not sure what the slope is on the course so will need to check that out as well. Email says handicap 8.8 playing handicap from yellows 9.2

PaulBoy

HCP
WHS 7.0
Local club/country
Army GC
Irons
Driver
Slope for the course listed (Ballumbie Castle) is 124 White / 122 Yellow (there is a handy search engine on R & A Website HERE)
Cheers ... Paul

Last edited:

Halebopp

HCP
Local club/country
Lakeside Golf Vammala, Finland
Irons
MP-H5/53/4
Driver
MP-650/ST180
Third round of the season yesterday and for the first time I started to enjoy playing the game, rather than just the time spent on the course with friends. The score isn't worth mentioning though as the ground is still very soft. It's the timeless classic to hit the first wedge shot very fat and then play the second one safe and blade the ball over the green. :)

The biggest difference was ditching my MP-53s with Modus 120 stiffs for the MP-4s with KBS Tours. Having played the counter-balanced Tours for so long, I seem to be clueless about how to swing the 53s. Maybe it's time to sell them and look for another set of cavity backs with KBS Tours to be my backups. :)

It also takes a couple of rounds to forget about all the ideas picked up from Youtube videos you watch over the winter about how to use your body in the swing and finding your own swing.

Halebopp

HCP
Local club/country
Irons
MP-H5/53/4
Driver
MP-650/ST180
Something interesting happened today. There's a par-4 with an elevated tee and you can't see much of the fairway before the 100-metre marker. One player from the group hit a bad tee shot that didn't clear the forced carry onto the fairway and we had a bit of searching to do. So I just give my ClicGear a bit of a push for it to roll close to the 100-metre marker for the group behind us to see.

After the push I start walking back to help with the search. But as I check where my cart's going, it keeps rolling at a slow pace and turning slightly right. We joke about how well it's rolling and about it not stopping but it doesn't look like I'd need to react to it in any way. Then it starts to gain a bit more speed and starts to look a bit worrying. A couple of seconds later it gets very worrying knowing there's a big ditch right where it's heading. I take off running as fast as I can but couldn't catch the cart in time. The cart dives head first into the ditch, rolls over and comes to rest on its side in between two big rocks with everything from the console flying all over the place. I had to unstrap the bag to get my stuff out of the ditch. Luckily the cart and the Tour Cart bag took the brunt of the hit and nothing broke. The cart itself, the bag, phone, the rangefinder which flew from the console, all were fine, no dings on the irons, no dirt on the headcovers. Only one side and the front of the bag got a clay coating. :)

The cart travelled about a hundred metres on its own and very slowly for the most part so there was plenty of time to joke about it and not even think about it not coming to a stop in no time. But with very little grass to slow it down it this time of the year, the very gentle downhill was all it needed.

As for playing the game, it was one of my best driving days I can remember, effortless, easy, long and pretty straight. But when that happens, I have to fight the hooks with my irons. :)

DCB

HCP
Local club/country
Irons
Driver
JPX 900
It's now May and I haven't swung a club in anger yet. It's just too cold for me to enjoy my cold so far. Today Mrs DCB was playing in a club comp and had to contend with a frosty start and a cold easterly wind. Not really what you expect this time of year, hopefully as we go through the month the weather will improve. We need some rain and a bit more warmth to help the grass get back into growing mode. So far its been a struggle to recover from the cold snowy winter we had. Our course is slowly coming to life, but that elusive warmth and rain is really needed now.

DennisMiller

HCP
Old Age
Local club/country
Killian Greens Golf Club
Irons
MX-1000
Driver
ST-180
My game has been showing signs of disassociative personality disorder. One day, I seem to know what I'm doing and some days, I look like a totally different person who has never held a club before.

The closest I've been to par will be next Monday when I turn 72. I'm going to put a bullet through the head of my driver and claim to have shot my age.

Halebopp

HCP
Local club/country
Irons
MP-H5/53/4
Driver
MP-650/ST180
It's now May and I haven't swung a club in anger yet. It's just too cold for me to enjoy my cold so far. Today Mrs DCB was playing in a club comp and had to contend with a frosty start and a cold easterly wind. Not really what you expect this time of year, hopefully as we go through the month the weather will improve. We need some rain and a bit more warmth to help the grass get back into growing mode. So far its been a struggle to recover from the cold snowy winter we had. Our course is slowly coming to life, but that elusive warmth and rain is really needed now.
We have similar issues. Usually the cold spells hit a bit later, it's only 10ºC when it should be 17ºC but this year it's been around 3ºC when it should be closer to 8ºC. Our club has had to cover a couple of teeing grounds to help them out because of the slow start. It's supposed to snow tomorrow and on Thursday but, according to the forecasts we should be hitting 21ºC a week from now.

Anyhoo. things are starting to come together although, like Dennis mentioned, I felt like I had no clue of what I was doing today but stumbled my way to 3 birdies and 33 points, including the first back-to-back birdies of the season to get me back to even par after 3 holes and a double on the first.

But, how many of you have hit the very top of the flagstick? I had a 20-meter, short-sided chip shot I hit with my 50º a bit too hard. The ball hit the very top of the stick on its way down, bounced upwards and forward and came to rest at the very back of the green.

It's an even better achievement than shanking an approach shot across the fairway, the ball hitting a tree over 60 meters away and ricocheting back towards me, roll down the hill only to come to rest inches away from its original position. :)

Top Bottom