HCP
WHS 18.0
Local club/country
Caprington Golf Club Kilmarnock
Irons
MIZUNO JPX921HM irons 5-PW
Driver
ST-X 230 12.0 deg N.S.Pro 950 GH Neo R flex shaft
So, second round back after a 4 year absence and I shoot a 5-over gross, 76. WHAT?

3-under after 8 and the had two bad holes where I had to hit 3 off the tee.

So, overall. I'm delighted with that!

Well done Dee that's good shooting mate..!

Cheers
John.

tonytim8

HCP
Local club/country
Essendon GC Herts
Irons
Mizuno JPX 900 Forged - 5 - pw, 3 JPX 900 Rescue, MP T7 51 & MP T7 57. Putter: Evnroll ER2 Black
Driver
Mizuno JPX 900 10.5 degree
So, second round back after a 4 year absence and I shoot a 5-over gross, 76. WHAT?

3-under after 8 and the had two bad holes where I had to hit 3 off the tee.

So, overall. I'm delighted with that!
Well played D mate, so glad to hear your'e playing again. :) T

MrK20

Local club/country
Germany
Irons
Mizuno / MP 20 HMB; MP 20; T20 / 2; 3-9; 49, 54, 60, Nippon Modus 120 S
Driver
Mizuno / ST-Z / D, 3W, 5W / JPX900 22H / CLK 25H. MRC Diamana D+(D, 3W, 5W) , Fujikura SIX R(22), Fujikura Speeder Hb 85 (25)
My Home Course actually allowed us to play from the tips for once which lengthens the course by 250 meters and makes it play nearly 6400 meters - just about 7000 yards.The downhill par 5 15th measured 620 meters today :). Was good for me as my plan for the day was to just hit it hard today, trying to build speed. My well hit drives averaged 237 meters today, so definitely a step in the right direction. Also hit 50% of Fairways, so maybe Accuracy is actually better for me when hitting full go?
Would love to get back to 250+ meters as average, I will continue to work hard!
Here's the scorecard:
79 - 220720.jpg
Could have been better if I got some of the 3-4 meter putts for birdie to fall, but all in all a great round - especially since it played it's full length today, so I think the score doesn't quite reflect my play. I think this round was better than the 78 a while back. Definitely had a blast and can't wait to get out again on Friday!

MrK20

Local club/country
Germany
Irons
Driver
Mizuno / ST-Z / D, 3W, 5W / JPX900 22H / CLK 25H. MRC Diamana D+(D, 3W, 5W) , Fujikura SIX R(22), Fujikura Speeder Hb 85 (25)
Played again today, quite horrific mistakes on a couple of holes on the front nine leading to 2 doubles. Was +6 at the turn, but then Magic Struck on the following couple of holes and I managed to finish at +6 78. Again from the Tips, it really is fun to get challenged like that. Hole 9 for example is usually Driver and some kind of a Wedge shot, From the Black Tees it is Driver mid iron. That makes the hole play completely different!
78 - 240720.jpg
I've never had 3 Birdies in a Row before, so that was nice. Putting was obviously working quite well on the back 9. Even though I always putt well my issue is that I'm often not getting anything to fall. Today however, I did.

PaulBoy

HCP
WHS 7.0
Local club/country
Army GC
Irons
Mizuno Pro 223 (4-AW) Modus3 120s
Driver
Titleist TSi2 Graphite Design Tour AD XC-50s
Played again today, quite horrific mistakes on a couple of holes on the front nine leading to 2 doubles. Was +6 at the turn, but then Magic Struck on the following couple of holes and I managed to finish at +6 78. Again from the Tips, it really is fun to get challenged like that. Hole 9 for example is usually Driver and some kind of a Wedge shot, From the Black Tees it is Driver mid iron. That makes the hole play completely different!
View attachment 9697
I've never had 3 Birdies in a Row before, so that was nice. Putting was obviously working quite well on the back 9. Even though I always putt well my issue is that I'm often not getting anything to fall. Today however, I did.
Well played again! - Looks similar to a lot of my rounds "good 9, bad 9" or "bad 9 good 9" - The latter is always better, as you could still win a match, or work your way through a competition field on count-back? - My record for birdies in a row is five! - I managed this on the first five holes at Guildford & remember the final one was a ridiculous putt the full width of the 5th green (about 25 yards!)
Paul

MrK20

Local club/country
Germany
Irons
Driver
Well played again! - Looks similar to a lot of my rounds "good 9, bad 9" or "bad 9 good 9" - The latter is always better, as you could still win a match, or work your way through a competition field on count-back? - My record for birdies in a row is five! - I managed this on the first five holes at Guildford & remember the final one was a ridiculous putt the full width of the 5th green (about 25 yards!)
Paul
Thank you! This round is quite unusual for me I tend to be quite steady in my play these last couple of seasons the whole way thru the round. The difference this time was that I made 2 unnecessary mistakes (i.e. hitting into the water long on 9 from inside 100 yards) that led to double bogeys - and managed to get putts to drop on the back 9. I don't feel like I hit it much better on the back then on the front, maybe just a tiny bit more precise.

5 Birdies in a row?! Wow seriously good stuff! I might have been able to squeeze a 4th one in there on the 13th, it's an easy short downhill par 4 - but thought about it too much and got out of position on my drive, but I thought 3 was already ludicrous for me! I don't think my iron play is decent enough yet to get that many chances at birdie in a row :). Guess I should work on that!

Deemac

HCP
Local club/country
Torrance House Golf Club EK
Irons
MP 69's
Driver
Mizuno JPX 850 Fujikura Orochi 60g Stiff
Not so good yesterday I'm afraid! 79 on a par 70 course... ach well, canny be great all the time...

PaulBoy

HCP
WHS 7.0
Local club/country
Army GC
Irons
Driver
Not so good yesterday I'm afraid! 79 on a par 70 course... ach well, canny be great all the time...
Hi D - Still pretty good after your 4 years in the wilderness! - You're right of course that you can't be great all the time, but as long as you're enjoying it?
Golf is the sort of game (for me anyway) that you can be stinking the place up, but hit one really good shot & you can't wait to get back out there again?
Enjoyment is the key!
Paul

MrK20

Local club/country
Germany
Irons
Driver
Was pretty dry today, so the ball rolled a lot which made the course play a bit shorter, but I struck it very well today. Too bad I didn't get anything to drop again.
75 - 310720.jpg
But my best ever round I think. I'm happy! :)

PaulBoy

HCP
WHS 7.0
Local club/country
Army GC
Irons
Driver
Was pretty dry today, so the ball rolled a lot which made the course play a bit shorter, but I struck it very well today. Too bad I didn't get anything to drop again.
View attachment 9712
But my best ever round I think. I'm happy! :)
Best round ever deserves high praise, well done! - Great score considering only 14% Fairways hit? - Short game must have been on point and/or the fairways you missed were not too penalising? - Anyway, well played ...

MrK20

Local club/country
Germany
Irons
Driver
Best round ever deserves high praise, well done! - Great score considering only 14% Fairways hit? - Short game must have been on point and/or the fairways you missed were not too penalising? - Anyway, well played ...
Thank you! As for the missed Fairways:
As I said the course was quite dry. The Fairways are pretty slopey so you cannot really hold them when it's dry and fast. So I was often just of by a yard and the first cut is indeed not very penalising. Also you have to remember that due to the fact it is dry and fast I had a lot less distance into the green than usual, and hitting less club is often easier :). And my Wedge Game was pretty decent yesterday. The fact that I had a one way miss yesterday helped a lot as well.
Hence why the score is my best ever, however I think the 78 and 79 from the tips last week were much better rounds of golf!

Brattz

HCP
Pro
Local club/country
Derby Golf Centre
Irons
Mizuno JPX 919 Tour (4-PW) - Project X LZ 6.5 120g - 0.5° Flat - 1/2"+
Driver
Titleist TS3 - HC Project X LZ17 6.5 60g, 9.5°, A1 - 11g
486D5F4C-BF3C-475B-A1F8-33DD9395B2A8.jpeg Decent knock apart from the 3 putt bogeys on 11 and 18. Missed 7 birdie putts from inside 12ft..... absolutely fuming 😤

MrK20

Local club/country
Germany
Irons
Driver
A bit of a reality check yesterday with a sloppy 82. Everything was just off a fair bit, also didn't feel energized. Oh well, better luck next time.
82 - 040820#.png

RobCH

HCP
Local club/country
Nomadic
Irons
JPX 900 Forged 5-PW, JPX FliHi 4, T7 50, 54, 58 wedges. Odyssey Tank putter
Driver
GT180 driver & 3 wood, JPX 900 3 Hybrid
I played the Old Course at St Andrews for the first time on Monday afternoon. Blustery and wet. Came away with 33 points and well satisfied. Fairly poor with the driver, but the rest of the bag performed well.

PaulBoy

HCP
WHS 7.0
Local club/country
Army GC
Irons
Driver
I played the Old Course at St Andrews for the first time on Monday afternoon. Blustery and wet. Came away with 33 points and well satisfied. Fairly poor with the driver, but the rest of the bag performed well.
Hi Rob & well played! - 33pts in wind & rain is pretty impressive - Always fancied a round on the Old Course, but not had the opportunity yet ;)
Paul

Stewart 57

HCP
Local club/country
Egersund Golf Club, Norway
Irons
Mizuno MP 64, 4,5,6 & 7- PW. MP T7 ,50,54,&58 dgr, wedges, Mizuno A, 309 Putter,
Driver
St200 driver, MP650 3 wood, JPX 800, hybrid,
Me and you Paul, in a few years, not played it myself visited it a few times,

RobCH

HCP
Local club/country
Nomadic
Irons
Driver
Hi Rob & well played! - 33pts in wind & rain is pretty impressive - Always fancied a round on the Old Course, but not had the opportunity yet ;)
Paul
Thanks Paul. I was lucky that my drives avoided the worst of the trouble, and with the bunkers - only got into one and had to play out backwards from that for a double bogey. Lucky to get invited too; I was a late substitute for someone who had to drop out because of illness. Always been a bucket list item for me, so I wasn't going to pass up the chance.

RobCH

HCP
Local club/country
Nomadic
Irons
Driver
33 points (again) at Woldingham yesterday on a beautiful day. I drove well for a change, but couldn't couldn't get the putter working at all; throwing away shots on the greens. Either my reads were really poor or I need to work on alignment, or both. The course was in good condition except for the bunkers, which were like playing off a chocolate brownie consistency-wise, and had a *lot* of gravel in the sand. I'm playing again today down at Addington Court, so will see if I can take the good bits there and improve the bad.

Brattz

HCP
Pro
Local club/country
Derby Golf Centre
Irons
Mizuno JPX 919 Tour (4-PW) - Project X LZ 6.5 120g - 0.5° Flat - 1/2"+
Driver
Titleist TS3 - HC Project X LZ17 6.5 60g, 9.5°, A1 - 11g
35pts today with a blob 🤦🏻‍♂️

Halebopp

HCP
Local club/country
Lakeside Golf Vammala, Finland
Irons
MP-H5/53/4
Driver
MP-650/ST180
Our club captain called me on Friday evening to ask if I wanted to play in our regional inter-club tournament in a handicapped stroke play flight. And boy, did I make a mess of it. :D

The first hole went well with an easy birdie, net eagle on a par 5. But then I shanked one off the second tee and I had three more of them over the next three holes plus a couple of horrid hooks when trying to avoid shanks (I don't think I've had the shanks with my irons this year). After the five holes I had used all of my 12 handicap strokes despite the birdie on the first hole. Things improved from then on and I finished the round playing par/bogey golf, beating my handicap for the final 13 holes. The best being a tap-in bogey on a par 5 after needing to resort to my provisional off the tee.

Our club, the defending champs, ended up dead last fourth but we were missing a fair share of good players (which is why I got in to begin with). Maybe I'll get a chance to improve on that performance some time in the future.

Top Bottom