Halebopp

HCP
Local club/country
Lakeside Golf Vammala, Finland
Irons
MP-H5/53/4
Driver
MP-650/ST180
Setting aside all the truly serious effects on people's health, economies etc., the timing of this whole thing pretty much sucks. We also had a horrible winter - in fact we didn't actually even have thermal winter, just six months of autumn darkness and rain. Practically no skiing as we only had one 1.5 km loop made out of snow stored from last winter but with it being the only track in a city of 200 000+ made it awfully crowded. Crowded enough to force them to close it because of the Covid. And just as it seemed like the golf courses could open a couple of weeks earlier than usually, there's a very good chance they'll be shut down completely for the foreseeable future. The health care professionals talk about the Covid crisis peaking in June so if it comes to that, we might be lucky to play in July - assuming the courses survive the ordeal.

I have no problems with a complete shutdown for three or four weeks right now if it helped us to get over the worst and let us return to normal life sooner but there's a very good possibility the harsher measures will be in place until the end of May, to begin with. Oh well, at least I have a dog I need to and can walk if the country is put under curfew.

Stay safe and isolated everyone!

Halebopp

HCP
Local club/country
Irons
MP-H5/53/4
Driver
MP-650/ST180
It was a good Friday as I got to play my first round of the season. 92 (+21) for 27 points. I couldn't hit the greens on the front nine but the back nine fixed that. To keep the balance in the universe, putting went down the drain with a four-putt double and some three-putt bogeys on the back. :) It will take a lot of getting used to to putt with the flagstick in the hole. The woods were good with straight or drawing/hooking shots, the wedges were mostly good but I don't know how many irons I hit fat. I'm pretty sure the good swings with the woods were for the same reasons I struggled with irons - more of a sweeping swing etc.

There was very little normal about the whole experience - only twosomes, not allowed inside the clubhouse except when let in to the cafeteria and only two at a time, you couldn't even enter the bag storage. One of the staff fetched my cart and I needed to take it home with me as they were quarantining the storage. Buggies are only available for those with a permission slip from a doctor and a buggy could only be used once a day and then disinfected the next morning, their steering wheels were also covered with plastic bags.

Hopefully we can avoid a complete lockdown over here. The police have been keeping an eye on golf courses to see whether or not clubs and golfers act accordingly. Alpine skiers and ski resorts in Lapland didn't really care about the restrictions and they were forced to shut down earlier on.

PaulBoy

HCP
WHS 7.0
Local club/country
Army GC
Irons
Mizuno Pro 223 (4-AW) Modus3 120s
Driver
Titleist TSi2 Graphite Design Tour AD XC-50s
Nice to hear that someone, somewhere is playing golf? - I know that Denmark has now allowed golf courses to reopen (social golf only, two balls maximum etc) but they have a tiny amount of Covid-19 cases compared to us here in the UK - So much as I would love to get back playing, I feel the current "Stay At Home" policy is our best chance of getting this pandemic under control? - It seems likely that will take months rather than weeks though?
Keep safe & healthy
Paul

Halebopp

HCP
Local club/country
Irons
MP-H5/53/4
Driver
MP-650/ST180
Nice to hear that someone, somewhere is playing golf? - I know that Denmark has now allowed golf courses to reopen (social golf only, two balls maximum etc) but they have a tiny amount of Covid-19 cases compared to us here in the UK - So much as I would love to get back playing, I feel the current "Stay At Home" policy is our best chance of getting this pandemic under control? - It seems likely that will take months rather than weeks though?
Keep safe & healthy
Paul
We aren't playing anymore - the snow came back. :)

Denmark and the UK are actually pretty even in confirmed cases per million people. Of course, the difference is Denmark has made twice as many tests per million. We have about half the number of cases while sitting right in the middle between the two for testing (per million).

The courses in Denmark were shut down by their national golf union because golfers didn't abide by the rules set forth and as some courses keep allowing groups of four over here, there are rather angry comments directed at those clubs as there's a chance their greed will shut down all the courses.

davidp

HCP
Local club/country
Julington Creek Golf Club
Irons
Mizuno / JPX 919 Forged / 4-GW S18 Satin wedges
Driver
Cobra/10.5
Our course in North Florida is open (in fact the North Florida PGA got the Governor to open golf courses in the state if they followed the following guidelines)
. walkers or riders are allowed - riders are 1 per cart ONLY - foursomes are allowed
. staff must clean/disinfect wipe carts after each use
. flagstick must remain in hole - hole is plugged with pvc pipe which allows the put to drop but not all the way below ground level, so ball can be retrieved without putting hand into hole or touching flagstick
. players must maintain social distance
. no divot sand is available on carts (no scoops to touch), ball may be moved one club head if in un-repaired divots in fairway
. no rakes for bunkers are available, free drop & rake with foot or play as unplayable and drop out
. bar & restaurant are closed - no drinks provided on course - players may bring their own non-alcohol beverages

Of course all these guidelines can be over-ridden by local governments who can close courses in their area as they see fit. Local laws (city/county) may be more strict than state law, but can not be more relaxed.

Halebopp

HCP
Local club/country
Irons
MP-H5/53/4
Driver
MP-650/ST180
Oh, that feeling of being on the brink of greatness. 14 holes 3 over par but the other 4 holes are 10 over par. A couple of balls in the water, a chip across the green to guaranteed 3-putt territory etc. It doesn't help the golf fitness might not be quite there yet and the closing holes on our courses definitely aren't the easiest ones.

But I don't think hitting irons and even wedges has ever felt as easy as it feels right now even though I'm about a club short with the irons. Oddly enough my wedge shots are going further than they used to and I haven't had the chance to properly dial them in yet.

It's pretty certain I'm not delivering the club head in an optimal position and it manifests itself with the troubles playing in the wind and high but slightly short shots. With the lack of distance, hopefully either of my elderly Wilson 1 irons can step in. I do miss my H5 1 iron and 712u 2 iron right now. Of course, the other option is to start fixing the swing but it's otherwise so good at the moment I might risk making a mess of the whole thing. :)

PaulBoy

HCP
WHS 7.0
Local club/country
Army GC
Irons
Mizuno Pro 223 (4-AW) Modus3 120s
Driver
Titleist TSi2 Graphite Design Tour AD XC-50s
Apologies to those in other parts of the UK & elsewhere, but golf is up & running again here in England - Our club is open for 9 holes play only for now, to cope with the high demand - Indeed as most golf clubs use the same online booking software, their servers crashed when everyone logged in to try & book their tee times! - I managed to play yesterday (Wednesday) and was in first two-ball off the 10th tee at 0730hrs - My golf was a bit ropey to say the least, but it was great to get back out after 2 months away - Then I got a message from my brother who lives in Donegal - I was gobsmacked to find out that he can't play golf, as there is a rule in ROI that you can't travel more than 5km to exercise or play sport? - Ballyliffin GC where he plays is quite remote & I would estimate less than 5% of the membership live within 5km? - What an absolute joke!
Paul

Last edited:

MrK20

Local club/country
Germany
Irons
Mizuno / MP 20 HMB; MP 20; T20 / 2; 3-9; 49, 54, 60, Nippon Modus 120 S
Driver
Mizuno / ST-Z / D, 3W, 5W / JPX900 22H / CLK 25H. MRC Diamana D+(D, 3W, 5W) , Fujikura SIX R(22), Fujikura Speeder Hb 85 (25)
Played my first round in over 7 months a couple of days ago. First I was on my Honeymoon for a month, then I had to focus on finishing my studies at university, and just when I finished - the lockdown hit in Germany. So I didn't get to play much in the last 9 months. First time hitting balls in 7 months like I said, so I was actually quite happy to have shot 100. Definitely not the best score, but it was just great to be out there with my father, playing golf again. I couldn't really care less about the score. I actually struck my Irons half decent, got some kind of swing together and didn't just top it around all the time which was great. Putting - which was always my forte - was still really good and my chipping form seems to have stayed as well - albeit just a little rusty in terms of feel. But it was just great fun and a great allaround experience. Not getting out much really makes you appreciate what you have and this great game we all love just so much more.

And I did hit one 8 iron absolutely pure. And it was as always - Nothing feels like a Mizuno. So that was great :)

Halebopp

HCP
Local club/country
Irons
MP-H5/53/4
Driver
MP-650/ST180
Good to hear some of you are getting back out there again! We have a course that's still covered with snow but is partially in Sweden, I do wonder what would happen if Sweden didn't allow golf (they do) or wouldn't allow entry to Sweden to play the holes. One of the holes is a par 3, tees in Finland, green in Sweden so I guess you could give the HIO a go anyway.

It was another weird round for me yesterday. I was +10 after 7 holes with a birdie on the card but played the last 11 holes 4 over for 36 points. One GIR on the front nine and five on the back and another rolled off the green onto the fringe. The ST180 3 wood is still going strong, too strong actually, as I overshot a par 5 with my second shot once. :)

Last edited:

Brattz

HCP
Pro
Local club/country
Derby Golf Centre
Irons
Mizuno JPX 919 Tour (4-PW) - Project X LZ 6.5 120g - 0.5° Flat - 1/2"+
Driver
Titleist TS3 - HC Project X LZ17 6.5 60g, 9.5°, A1 - 11g
4 rounds and a cheeky 9 holes since the restrictions on golf were lifted.

Wed 13/5 - 76 (+4)
Thu 14/5 - 75 (+3)
Fri 15/5 - 73 (+1)
Sun 17/5 - 76 (+4)
Tue 19/5 - 35 (-1)

All off of the white plates. Practice in lockdown has definitely been done on the right areas!!!!

WalkerCup

HCP
Scratch
Local club/country
British Isles
Irons
Mizuno JPX 921 Forged 4-PW KBS Tour 120 Stiff , 3 Deg up plus 1”
Driver
Ping G425 Max 10.5 HZRDS Blue Stiff
4 rounds and a cheeky 9 holes since the restrictions on golf were lifted.

Wed 13/5 - 76 (+4)
Thu 14/5 - 75 (+3)
Fri 15/5 - 73 (+1)
Sun 17/5 - 76 (+4)
Tue 19/5 - 35 (-1)

All off of the white plates. Practice in lockdown has definitely been done on the right areas!!!!
What the hell was going down Saturday Brattz, weekly shop? :)

I reckon Ive hit over 2,000 balls into a large net over the past se7en weeks!

HCP
Local club/country
Oxford Golf Club
Irons
MP-650 3-4 hybrid (Fujikura Orochi 85g R), MP-32 4-PW (Dynamic Gold R300), MP-R12 52-58 wedges
Driver
ST-Z 10.5 (Project X Hzrdus RDX Smoke 6.0 60g), ST-Z 3-Wood (Project X Evenflow Riptide 5.5R 60g)
Couple of rounds since lockdown lifted.

A nice gentle 33 points to ease myself in last Sunday and then 41 points last night (+4 gross) with a blob on a par 3.

Our course is in great nick at the moment but mainly it's good to be back out there.

WalkerCup

HCP
Scratch
Local club/country
British Isles
Irons
Driver
I'm running at 2 over average the first six rounds back. Wedge play , pitching is worst part after the lockdown!

Brattz

HCP
Pro
Local club/country
Derby Golf Centre
Irons
Driver
What the hell was going down Saturday Brattz, weekly shop? :)

I reckon Ive hit over 2,000 balls into a large net over the past se7en weeks!
LOL!!! Had to paint the garden fence and varnish the planters.

In 7 weeks I probably hit a minimum of 200 balls a day.... most days just chipping them with different clubs and working on different ball positions and flights/spin rates.
I’ve hit the ground running short game wise, been like Luke Donald 😁

WalkerCup

HCP
Scratch
Local club/country
British Isles
Irons
Driver
LOL!!! Had to paint the garden fence and varnish the planters.

In 7 weeks I probably hit a minimum of 200 balls a day.... most days just chipping them with different clubs and working on different ball positions and flights/spin rates.
I’ve hit the ground running short game wise, been like Luke Donald 😁
Excellent Brattz, you need a rest every now and again. I thought I was good hitting 2,200 balls but you've taken the biscuit there. I was hitting a few persimmon drivers every day, gets your concentration going; peanut head!
shortage will get sharper, Ive gone SeeMore putter wise, hardly any face twist compared to other putters, defiantly recommend them; a very overlooked make!

Brattz

HCP
Pro
Local club/country
Derby Golf Centre
Irons
Driver
76 in a gale this morning 💪🏽

HCP
Local club/country
Oxford Golf Club
Irons
MP-650 3-4 hybrid (Fujikura Orochi 85g R), MP-32 4-PW (Dynamic Gold R300), MP-R12 52-58 wedges
Driver
ST-Z 10.5 (Project X Hzrdus RDX Smoke 6.0 60g), ST-Z 3-Wood (Project X Evenflow Riptide 5.5R 60g)
41 points last Wednesday, 23 points on Sunday :rolleyes:

Normality resumes :(

seanmor

HCP
WHS 18.0
Local club/country
Caprington Golf Club Kilmarnock
Irons
MIZUNO JPX921HM irons 5-PW
Driver
ST-X 230 12.0 deg N.S.Pro 950 GH Neo R flex shaft
Finally back on the golf course after the lockdown restrictions have now been lifted in Scotland,

only two balls allowed at the moment but it was good to be back and the Weather couldn’t have been better the course was in super condition all credit to our hardworking green staff..! The course was set up to play from the medal tees not something I can say I was looking forward to as Im not the longest driver of the ball,

I think I’ve final found the secret to playing this game..! and it is I shouldn’t play or practice for 12 weeks then come back and play one of my best games in a long time, final score was 85 gross nett 66 and 38 points I couldn’t quite believe how well I played considering and neither could my playing partner who commented that it’s by far the Smoothest and effortless he’s seen me swing a club, long may it continue but I doubt it..!

I continue to be impressed with My ST200X driver was hitting it out of the middle nearly every time and again never missed a fairway was wondering if it was down To the slightly shorter shaft that I’m now playing in my driver at 44” that’s helping me find the centre of the face, my iron play was very steady as was my wedge play and all that putting practice I‘ve been doing on my indoor putting mat looks to be paying off.
One area of my game that I tended to struggle with is when hitting my long irons Ie., 4, 5 & 6 irons So I’ve replaced them with the equivalent JPX Fl-Hi‘s and that’s helped me gain a lot more confidence in that area of my game,

Having said that during the lockdown I did make comparisons and watch a lot of reviews on YouTube of other clubs That could fill that requirement and might even be better suited or perform as well if not better, so after much deliberation I decided to order the one I thought might well be suitable unfortunately it’s not a Mizuno so I can only apologies ..! It is in fact a Cleveland Launcher HB Turbo hybrid 4 iron I used it today for the first time at the down hill 227 yards par 3 4th the ball finished just off the back edge of the green and again for my second shot at the the 399 yard par 4 14th the shot was up hill 185 yards the ball finishing a couple of yards by the flag stick, considering I couldn’t get custom fitted for this club it looks like it’s a keeper and I’m now thinking that I might just take a chance and get my self the 5 & 6 HB Turbo irons as well..!

John 😀

Last edited:

DCB

HCP
Local club/country
Midlothian, Scotland http://www.merchantsgolf.com
Irons
My ReHab Bag - Mizuno JPX 900 HM 5-GW A Shafts, JPX EX 4H, JPX 900 5 & 7 Wood Orochi RL Shafts.
Driver
JPX 900
Be gone with you ....turncoat.

Glad to here you had a good return to the course John. So many people were really looking forward to it, and, for once it was a perfect day for the game to get underway. Hope the good weather hold for a while and everyone can get all the golf they want.

seanmor

HCP
WHS 18.0
Local club/country
Caprington Golf Club Kilmarnock
Irons
MIZUNO JPX921HM irons 5-PW
Driver
ST-X 230 12.0 deg N.S.Pro 950 GH Neo R flex shaft
Out on course today for my second round of 18 holes of golf played under clear blue sky's and a very hot sun..!

And again my good play continued not only did I play well but I beat my lowest scratch score of 85 that I recorded on Friday by finishing with a score of
83 gross 64 nett and 41 points..! and again as before I hit every fairway with my driver and my irons, wedge game and putting were also consistently good

Very happy so fare with everything about my play, next game will be on Friday so fingers crossed the good form continues.

John. :D

Top Bottom