HCP
WHS 7.0
Local club/country
Army GC
Irons
Mizuno Pro 223 (4-AW) Modus3 120s
Driver
Titleist TSi2 Graphite Design Tour AD XC-50s
As mentioned elsewhere, my usual profusion of golf has been curtailed of late due to a flair up of my back injury - After some physio I can play again, but have to use a "less aggressive" swing (or as my senior pals say "he's slowed it down to a blur!") - I've only played 3 full rounds in about 6 weeks, but felt my game was good enough to play in the Midweek Stableford at Guildford yesterday - The weather was kind, mild with only a slight breeze, but the course was playing long, as the back tees were in play for the first time this year - I got off to a steady start, which would have been a lot better with a warmer putter, but the round caught fire on the Par 5 8th - This hole plays 579y from the tips (104y longer than the yellow tee!) - I hit a good drive leaving about 250y to the flag (it is down-hill by the way) - I decided not to go for the green, as this would have needed a big fade or a dangerous line across the corner of some trees - I hit my King Utility 3 iron & left myself about 30y from the green - As the flag was close to the front I chipped with my 7 iron & holed out for eagle! - My partner, like myself, was very pleased - The opposition, not so much, as in our match that was worth 5x bits! - I struggled a bit on the way in, but scrambled well & despite bogeys on 16 & 17, managed to finish with 34pts - This placed me 9th in the comp & as an indication of how tough the test was, the winner was only on 38pts & my score was in the buffer zone for handicap ...
Paul

Bonobobananas

HCP
Local club/country
England
Irons
Titleist T100s 😬
Driver
TM Stealth 2+
Where I play most, the course runs through forest land and homes on the front nine. Some of the views are pretty atypical for Miami. There are some ancient oaks and mahogany trees that line many holes and from certain positions, it's a very spiritual setting. /// While I would like to get back something resembling the game I once played, I feel like I'd also love to maintain this spiritual feeling I have for the game now.
I got a real shiver in my soul playing the Balcomie Links at Crail. It was a calm, grey day and that place just has an ancient feel to it as you noted above. I had played St Andrews the day before and I can remember my round at Crail with far more fondness (even though I played better at the Old Course). Golf’s link with nature and the countryside is not to be underestimated and I think some new courses would do well to understand that. Good post Dennis.

Brattz

HCP
Pro
Local club/country
Derby Golf Centre
Irons
Mizuno JPX 919 Tour (4-PW) - Project X LZ 6.5 120g - 0.5° Flat - 1/2"+
Driver
Titleist TS3 - HC Project X LZ17 6.5 60g, 9.5°, A1 - 11g
Good day on the Derbyshire Links today. First Q of the year at Morley Hayes and I posted 36pts for the win. SSS is 74 so I’ve been cut from 5.1 to 4.9...... heading in the right direction ⬇️⬇️⬇️

DennisMiller

HCP
Old Age
Local club/country
Killian Greens Golf Club
Irons
MX-1000
Driver
ST-180
A very sloppy 42. If i hadn't putted like Tiger in his prime, I might not have broken 50.

Time to spend the rest of the day and night watching The Masters... GO RORY!!!

Brattz

HCP
Pro
Local club/country
Derby Golf Centre
Irons
Driver
34pts in the comp today.... leading at present on a very tough scoring day. Course is 6,800yds and playing that and more in a 15mph wind

RobCH

HCP
Local club/country
Nomadic
Irons
JPX 900 Forged 5-PW, JPX FliHi 4, T7 50, 54, 58 wedges. Odyssey Tank putter
Driver
GT180 driver & 3 wood, JPX 900 3 Hybrid
I've had a succession of rather good rounds lately, all in the 80s, with the latest one bringing my handicap down to 11.8 as of today, which is entirely new territory for me. The timing is unfortunate as I've got a competition coming up in ten days' time and three more strokes allowance would have come in useful. But my game is more consistent, I'm striking the ball better, hitting more fairways, getting my yardages more accurately, so the good certainly outweighs the bad. I'm enjoying it while it lasts.

PaulBoy

HCP
WHS 7.0
Local club/country
Army GC
Irons
Driver
I've had a succession of rather good rounds lately, all in the 80s, with the latest one bringing my handicap down to 11.8 as of today, which is entirely new territory for me. The timing is unfortunate as I've got a competition coming up in ten days' time and three more strokes allowance would have come in useful. But my game is more consistent, I'm striking the ball better, hitting more fairways, getting my yardages more accurately, so the good certainly outweighs the bad. I'm enjoying it while it lasts.
Sounds like you are in good form Rob? - Not many posts for me here of late as I am struggling with my back & have an appointment in May with the MSK Clinic as physio I've had isn't really helping - I played today & had 31pts which could have been better with even a lukewarm putter?
Paul

RobCH

HCP
Local club/country
Nomadic
Irons
JPX 900 Forged 5-PW, JPX FliHi 4, T7 50, 54, 58 wedges. Odyssey Tank putter
Driver
GT180 driver & 3 wood, JPX 900 3 Hybrid
Sounds like you are in good form Rob? - Not many posts for me here of late as I am struggling with my back & have an appointment in May with the MSK Clinic as physio I've had isn't really helping - I played today & had 31pts which could have been better with even a lukewarm putter?
Paul
Sorry to hear that Paul. Backs can be so hard to sort once they start giving trouble.

What's that quote "form is temporary, class is permanent"? Well I certainly don't have any class, so I'm still looking at these results as a blip which could vanish at any time. I'm trying three new swing things at present - weight transfer, impact position (hands further forward), and more right hand - and touch wood something seems to be emerging from the old wreckage. We'll see. Last Stableford 38 points, so reasons to be cheerful.

DCB

HCP
Local club/country
Midlothian, Scotland http://www.merchantsgolf.com
Irons
My ReHab Bag - Mizuno JPX 900 HM 5-GW A Shafts, JPX EX 4H, JPX 900 5 & 7 Wood Orochi RL Shafts.
Driver
JPX 900
First outing of the year for me on Thursday afternoon. A beautiful day, warm sunshine and a course that was coming into condition nicely. A very hesitant start, but I got going eventually. Managed 16 points over 9 holes with two 7s which cost me dear. Once the driver found it's rhythm things improved. Amazing the difference playing off the fairway makes for your second shot ;) The body was certainly feeling the after effects of this opening round, but, no gain without pain as they say ..... ;)

Arial view of Portobello Golf Course, a nice 9 Hole Muni Course in Edinburgh. A popular place for 'older' golfers and folks like myself who struggle on some of the more undulating courses in the City.

Porty Golf.jpg

Last edited:

PaulBoy

HCP
WHS 7.0
Local club/country
Army GC
Irons
Driver
Seems like my dodgy back likes this warm spell of weather? - Played in the roll-up at New Forest Saturday off my "normal" handicap & started to play well on back nine after a mediocre 17pts on the front - Nice birdie on the SI18 hole (driveable Par 4 12th) & pars on every hole up to 16 where I didn't score (?) - Bounced back nicely on 17th where my chip lipped out for eagle & then almost drove the green on 18 & chipped close for another birdie - 20pts on the back (despite the blob) & less back pain, which was a real bonus
Paul

Halebopp

HCP
Local club/country
Lakeside Golf Vammala, Finland
Irons
MP-H5/53/4
Driver
MP-650/ST180
Three rounds in this year and so far I've been able to avoid dropping from shoulder height, I haven't been north of 100 either! But there has been some horrid golf in the 90s rounds though. :)

The best part is I haven't lost any balls in play in the last 43 holes. Certainly a sign of some consistency? But also a bit of luck as I've bladed a couple of shots with the ball skipping over water to the other side. It's a real struggle to control the low point of the swing at the moment and with the soft ground, the fat ones are going nowhere and avoiding the fats leads to bladed shots. Even so, it's great to be out there again!

DCB

HCP
Local club/country
Irons
My ReHab Bag - Mizuno JPX 900 HM 5-GW A Shafts, JPX EX 4H, JPX 900 5 & 7 Wood Orochi RL Shafts.
Driver
JPX 900
Went out for a game with some colleagues from work this afternoon. A bit blustery and a bit cooler than I'd like, but, I was hitting the ball really well. A little overnight rain had slowed the greens a little, but the rest of the course was dry and running fast and hard. Ideal for my game nowadays. I was hitting the driver really well and even got the pace of the greens quickly. Hopefully this Friday afternoon game can become a regular event, certainly a great way to rewind after a busy week 😀

DennisMiller

HCP
Old Age
Local club/country
Killian Greens Golf Club
Irons
MX-1000
Driver
ST-180
I got a real shiver in my soul playing the Balcomie Links at Crail. It was a calm, grey day and that place just has an ancient feel to it as you noted above. I had played St Andrews the day before and I can remember my round at Crail with far more fondness (even though I played better at the Old Course). Golf’s link with nature and the countryside is not to be underestimated and I think some new courses would do well to understand that. Good post Dennis.
One of my cousins went on a golf tour of the UK. he played about 2 dozen courses over a 3 week time and I distinctly recall him saying he was surprised how Crail impressed him. Obviously, being a Yank, he was impressed like mad over playing St. Andrews, but he also mentioned liking the Jubilee Course better than the Old Course. He's start telling some story about one of his days there and always come back to describing Crail though.

On my next trip, Crail has to be the focal point of the trip.

DennisMiller

HCP
Old Age
Local club/country
Killian Greens Golf Club
Irons
MX-1000
Driver
ST-180
I played last Monday. I was going to play 18, but the 2 groups in front of us were so slow I didn't have time to finish.

I was riding with my buddy Juan, who has 2 daughters at the London School of Economics. I never thought of that when he asked me my score on the 3rd hole and I told him I made a blob. He's played enough around the UK on his trips there to know exactly what I meant.

All he said in reply was, "How bad was it?"

I felt like my round was pretty interesting in the end. I went bogey, bogey, triple bogey, and then parred through the 9th. Of the last 6 holes, I made 5 regulation pars. i only missed one green and got up and down with a great pitch over a bunker. My game is still nowhere close to what it was, but at it's best,grinding out pars was how I played. It was really nice to have a taste of that again.

Brattz

HCP
Pro
Local club/country
Derby Golf Centre
Irons
Driver
79 for a nett 74 on Sunday. Course playing at its full length off the whites with the hardest holes into the wind. CSS for the day rose to 75 so a 0.1 cut down to 4.8 😁

DCB

HCP
Local club/country
Irons
Driver
JPX 900
A trip to the range this afternoon turned into a family outing. Mrs DCB and I were there to work on some issues, our daughter came along because it's fun to belt some balls. She hasn't played since a junior around 7 years ago, but, all that junior coaching must have sunk in. She was hitting my JPX 900 driver with a senior shaft out to 200 yards on the range. She has a great swing and it is frustrating that she doesn't really fancy playing any more. Anyway, my old man swing is getting into shape for the 5th Major, if only I could hit the ball as far as my daughter 😠

Brattz

HCP
Pro
Local club/country
Derby Golf Centre
Irons
Driver
35pts today in the Sunday stableford. Had 2 double bogeys from plugged balls in green side bunkers.... could have been a great round bar those 👍🏽

PaulBoy

HCP
WHS 7.0
Local club/country
Army GC
Irons
Driver
Played in the rollup Saturday at New Forest - Chilly with a fresh breeze which seemed to affect the scores? - Playing off 5 I had a good ball-striking day & played the 7x Par 3's well with pars on 6 of them! - Only 2x birdies but missed a few sitters including a 3x jab on the Par 5 17th (?) - Finished on 39pts which would usually struggle to get a podium place, but won me the kitty! - Cut to 2 for my next rollup which (nearly) wiped the smile off my face ...
Paul

DennisMiller

HCP
Old Age
Local club/country
Killian Greens Golf Club
Irons
MX-1000
Driver
ST-180
I played 18 this morning in some of the most humid weather I can recall. It was impossible to get out of the cart, wipe myself off with a towel and hit a shot before the sweat rolled off my face onto my glasses.

I hit the driver really well, but not much else. What the hey... My shoulder doesn't hurt and it beats not being able to play...

Top Bottom