HCP
WHS 7.0
Local club/country
Army GC
Irons
Mizuno Pro 223 (4-AW) Modus3 120s
Driver
Titleist TSi2 Graphite Design Tour AD XC-50s
Fairly lean week for "Mr Retired" this week! - Played with some pals at Guildford on Tuesday & with even a warm putter I would have had a really good score as tee to green I was really solid, but holed Glen Hoddle :p - We were off the medal tees & I shot 4 over - According to Game Golf I had 36 putts (oops!)
Thursday was a Midweek Medal at Guildford - One of the Assistant Pro's joined us & despite hitting the ball out of sight, didn't really fire on all cylinders - I resolved some of my putting issues from Tuesday & went round in 3 over - So .3 off my handicap, which almost gets me back to that elusive 4hcp which I have only ever achieved twice - Off to the New Forest tomorrow, so how to keep the good play going (?)
Paul

Halebopp

HCP
Local club/country
Lakeside Golf Vammala, Finland
Irons
MP-H5/53/4
Driver
MP-650/ST180
The Club Championships came and went a week ago. I didn't finish last but certainly didn't have my A game either. Then my game went down the drain for a couple of rounds last week.

Today I decided to try and swing as freely as possible, set up correctly but then make as "lazy" swings as possible and it worked (almost). I shot 85 but with 38 points, it was the first time this season I actually scored north of 36 points. The funny part is I made 3 bogeys, one double bogey and a 14 on a par 5 after putting two 3 irons and two drives into the drink off the 6th tee. :D

I can't wait to head out there again. Of course, the problem is now I might have expectations again, which might ruin the whole thing.

markste

HCP
Local club/country
United Kingdom
Irons
MP-58 (3-PW)
Driver
Titliest 915 D2
I was over in Ireland for a wedding so we sneaked in a cheeky round before the ceremony at Greenore Golf Club.

I didn't have my clubs with me so hired a set. I was lucky enough to be given some MP-32's! I used to have a set of these - but upgraded a few years ago to the MP-58's, but it was great to play with some of these again. I used to love these clubs and they still felt just as good as a modern set. I'm definitely more of a Mizuno iron man, I haven't tried many of the drivers or woods but a mate had a Mizuno CLK hybrid which felt great too, so I may check them out in future.

The course was decent too, loads of water and a few tricky holes but decent fun all in all. I left a review here - https://goandgolf.co.uk/courses/ireland/republic-of-ireland/boarder-region/greenore-golf-club/

PaulBoy

HCP
WHS 7.0
Local club/country
Army GC
Irons
Driver
Won't bore you with the details but I found out yesterday (Wed) at New Forest what it's like to have a good ball-striking day in tandem with a decent day with the putter - 11 pars 1 bogey & 6 birdies! - My best ever round \o/
Paul

Interesting finish to the week when I played in a club match at Guildford on Friday - I was giving 19 & 7 shots to our opponents & 13 to my partner - After a friendly half up the first (par for me & net par for the opposition) my partner & I won the next NINE holes to shake hands on the 10th green :eek:
We played out the round & my approx score was two under par, which cheered up the opposition slightly
Paul

Last edited:

Halebopp

HCP
Local club/country
Irons
MP-H5/53/4
Driver
MP-650/ST180
Score-wise my best round of the season today, 80 and my second round in a row I didn't lose a ball (albeit I did find it OB once during the previous round). Swing-wise it must've been one of the worst. Some horrible cuts that went maybe 210 yards, irons were missing some 20 yards at times (but were mostly straight).

We'll see what happens the next time out, at the moment I have no clue about how to swing a club.

DCB

HCP
Local club/country
Midlothian, Scotland http://www.merchantsgolf.com
Irons
My ReHab Bag - Mizuno JPX 900 HM 5-GW A Shafts, JPX EX 4H, JPX 900 5 & 7 Wood Orochi RL Shafts.
Driver
JPX 900
Had a day out with three friends playing at Gleneagles over the Centenary Course. It was a bit wet to start with but the day cleared up as the morning went on. This however left a thin wet film over all the fairways and some really wet rough :( A really tough course and even off the green tees I found this a real challenge with no run on the fairways due to the wet conditions. I hit my shot of the day into the 10th green, hitting the top tier and leaving myself a 20ft uphill putt. Walked off with a 3 but more than happy with that. 17th saw my other highlight, a good tee shot stuck on the apron at the front of the green, a great 8 iron pitch up the green to within 3ft helped me to a solid part. A great course, but, a really tough course. So happy to have had the chance to play it, and so happy to walk off with 18 points on a really hard day :) A very happy boy tonight, absolutely knackered, but, a course I never thought I'd be able to play just not so long ago :)

DCB

HCP
Local club/country
Irons
My ReHab Bag - Mizuno JPX 900 HM 5-GW A Shafts, JPX EX 4H, JPX 900 5 & 7 Wood Orochi RL Shafts.
Driver
JPX 900
Stunning morning this morning. Blue sky, bright sunshine and the thermometer in the high teens. Ideal for a game of golf. Played at the surprisingly busy Portobello Golf Course in ideal conditions. The early morning dew had been burnt off and the fairways were nice and firm meaning a well struck drive went a long way. The good weather brought out many casual golfers and the course was very busy, probably the busiest I've seen it in recent times. Played well and more than happy with my golf today,

PaulBoy

HCP
WHS 7.0
Local club/country
Army GC
Irons
Driver
Just two games for me this week :eek: - I know, plenty here would give up a kidney to play as much as I do! - Anyway, played a club match at Guildford on Tuesday - I I was giving 14 shots to both our opponents & 10 to my partner - We both messed up the 1st & handed that hole to our opponents, but bounced back straightaway & won the next 4 holes including the Par 5 3rd where I chipped in from 20y for eagle! - I almost had another eagle on 8th when I lipped out from 15' - We turned 1 up & pulled away to win 4&3
My second game was at Coombe Hill (nr Kingston-Upon-Thames) and imho one of the best courses in Surrey - My sense of humour was put to the test when I found out I was giving 22 shots to one of our opponents - My partner was getting 11 shots and the other opponent 7 - A much tighter match than of late with never more than a couple of holes in it - "Mr 22 Shots" had a Par 4 on one of his double shot holes for a net eagle & having gone dormy 2 up we managed to lose the 17th & take a one shot lead up the last - My partner snap hooked his drive there into the woods & lost his ball, so pressure on - I hit one of my best drives (almost driving the 330y green) & played safely onto the green to ensure a 1up win
Paul

DCB

HCP
Local club/country
Irons
Driver
JPX 900
I had an invite to go down and play Glasgow Gailes on the Ayrshire coast today. Beautiful weather yet again, sunny with a gentle breeze. Course was in excellent condition and the greens were probably the best I have putted on this year. Unfortunately my game deserted me today and I struggled to play the golf the course deserved. I had a better back nine, but even then it wasn't good, but, the company and the banter were excellent. I think my problem was that this was my first game in long trousers for three months, I obviously play better in shorts ?

BigPete

HCP
Local club/country
Ruthin and Pwllglas
I had a lovely knock today. Having decided to check out my local 9 hole course (Ruthin and Pwllglas) I’m glad I did.
It was a nice sunny day which helped, but this place really is a little gem if you like short, undulating, open and nice greens with incredible views.
The new bag of sticks performed pretty well too. Which is nice.

Varry Hardon

HCP
Local club/country
Dukinfield
Irons
H5 long irons, Takomo 101T, S23 wedges
Driver
ST-G
I had a lovely knock today. Having decided to check out my local 9 hole course (Ruthin and Pwllglas) I’m glad I did.
Ay up Big Pete.

I have a lodge not far from there. It was the first course I took my son on last year.

Thought you lived on the Wirral?

BigPete

HCP
Local club/country
Ruthin and Pwllglas
Ay up Big Pete.

I have a lodge not far from there. It was the first course I took my son on last year.

Thought you lived on the Wirral?
I moved out here (Cyffylliog) at the start of the year to move in with my other half. I love it round here

Fluffywan

HCP
Local club/country
Chobham GC, Surrey
Irons
MP-T5 (KBS T, s, 53° and 57°), MP-H5 2i, 4i, 5i (KBS T, s), JPX-900f 7-GW (KBS T, s), X-Act tank
Driver
JPX EZ 3wd (14°), Fujikora 6 (s), Cobra F7 (10.5°), ProjextX HZRDUS Black 75
I moved out here (Cyffylliog) at the start of the year to move in with my other half. I love it round here
It lives!!!!!!

Varry Hardon

HCP
Local club/country
Dukinfield
Irons
H5 long irons, Takomo 101T, S23 wedges
Driver
ST-G
Stunning part of the world. I want to retire there.
When I ride my bike to Brenig I cycle through your village.
You go in the Red Lion? Not been in yet myself.
We need to meet up.
I'm at Woodlands Hall from time-to-time.

HCP
Local club/country
Elsham Golf Club, Lincolnshire
Irons
MIzuno JPX 919 Forged 4-GW
Driver
Mizuno ST180
Played in our clubs Vice Presidents (Foursomes) final yesterday and managed to win 1 up . Delighted to win it , especially with it be a Board Major too. We finished with three solid pars which was too good for our oppo. On to Winter League now and to go for the double but that's 4BBB.

RobCH

HCP
Local club/country
Nomadic
Irons
JPX 900 Forged 5-PW, JPX FliHi 4, T7 50, 54, 58 wedges. Odyssey Tank putter
Driver
GT180 driver & 3 wood, JPX 900 3 Hybrid
Played at Effingham on Sunday with a friend who's moving back to Japan shortly. A few decent drives but total failure on the greens - couldn't get line or distance at all. 28 points.

PaulBoy

HCP
WHS 7.0
Local club/country
Army GC
Irons
Driver
Played at Effingham on Sunday with a friend who's moving back to Japan shortly. A few decent drives but total failure on the greens - couldn't get line or distance at all. 28 points.
Don't be so hard on yourself Rob, those greens at Effingham are notoriously difficult, even by our standards at Guildford - Great course though & the views of central London are amazing ... Paul

Halebopp

HCP
Local club/country
Irons
MP-H5/53/4
Driver
MP-650/ST180
Had a match against a friend yesterday, I was two down with three to go and I won!

I thought I had found something on my Sunday round, as if the bits and pieces I've been working on with my swing started to finally come together.

No such luck though as I was hitting a fat shot after fat shot and when trying to fix it, it was back to directional issues. Luckily my friend didn't have the best day either and managed to finish the round with four pars.

DCB

HCP
Local club/country
Irons
Driver
JPX 900
Played on a Society day down at Kilmarnock Barassie today. Great course which we found in great condition. Played well in spells, but, struggled for a spell and had a bad run of no score holes in the middle of the round. 6500yds is just too long for me nowadays, so, I had to be happy with 21 pts. The winner shot an amazing 45 pts on a breezy afternoon. That's probably my golf for the season now, it's getting a bit cold for my ailing bones to perform at their best. More than happy with the way I played today, so, lots of positives to take from my golf this year.

Top Bottom