HCP
WHS 7.0
Local club/country
Army GC Hampshire
Irons
Mizuno MP-20 MMC (4-AW) Modus3 105s
Driver
TM Stealth II MRC Tensei Orange 50s
I know what you mean Dennis - Not that it's a laughing matter, but when I have a discussion about lightening & golf I am always reminded of what Lee Trevino allegedly said when he was asked about whether he was worried about playing when there was a threat of lightening? - I understand he was struck by lightening playing golf? - He said "If you are caught on a golf course during a storm and are afraid of lightning, hold up a 1-iron. Not even God can hit a 1-iron!"

DennisMiller

HCP
Old Age
Local club/country
Killian Greens Golf Club
I know what you mean Dennis - Not that it's a laughing matter, but when I have a discussion about lightening & golf I am always reminded of what Lee Trevino allegedly said when he was asked about whether he was worried about playing when there was a threat of lightening? - I understand he was struck by lightening playing golf? - He said "If you are caught on a golf course during a storm and are afraid of lightning, hold up a 1-iron. Not even God can hit a 1-iron!"
Trevino did say that. No question about it. He recovered from a nearby strike and continued to play well into his senior tour years, but what's often forgotten is, Jerry Heard was with Trevino that day and also felt the effects of the same lightning strike. He never recovered and it drove him out of the game, a least as much as being competitive on the pro tour. He became a teaching pro after that.

It was a freak thing, with the two of them sitting at a table by a marsh in Chaska, Minnesota during a rain delay. Lightning struck near the other side of the marsh, traveled across it and jumped back on land to hit Trevino and Heard through their metal spikes. It exited through their backs, leaving burn marks. Both went on to have major back surgery and Trevino recovered, but Heard never did.

Halebopp

HCP
Local club/country
Lakeside Golf Vammala, Finland
Irons
MP-H5/53/4
Driver
MP-650/ST180
Ha, I made my first-ever eagle on a par 4 and also my first-ever eagle from off the green today!

A drive on the fairway left me with 112 metres to the hole from the middle of the fairway. I decided to use my (MP-4) PW and hit my stock wedge shot, which is a combination of a "half-swing" shot and a pitch shot. I aimed the shot a bit left of the flagstick as the green slopes to the right and hit it pretty much the way I wanted to. Because the green is slightly uphill, the only thing I could see was the first hop left of the flagstick only confirming the fact the ball most probably made its way onto the green. Rather anticlimactically no one else saw the ball go in either and we first searched for the ball behind and in front of the green before checking the hole. :)

Now, all that's missing is an eagle on a par 3 and an albatross on a par 5. :)

On a separate note, a couple of weeks ago I decided to put my MP-4s back into the bag and it's been an absolute blast! The feel so much better to hit than any cavity back. If they perform worse with some mishits, that's made up by the pure joy of the the good strokes.

DennisMiller

HCP
Old Age
Local club/country
Killian Greens Golf Club
Congratulations Halebopp!

I've made a couple eagles on par 4 holes, but one was set up for a senior tournament to be a driveable par 4 and I left myself a tap in. I have made one albatross, back in 1978.

What frustrates me is, I made 4 hole in ones before the age of 25 and in the 50 years since, have only come as close as hitting the flagstick and bouncing 30 feet away. Next to that, I left myself a 3 foot putt one day last year and missed the damned thing.

Halebopp

HCP
Local club/country
Lakeside Golf Vammala, Finland
Irons
MP-H5/53/4
Driver
MP-650/ST180
Congratulations Halebopp!

I've made a couple eagles on par 4 holes, but one was set up for a senior tournament to be a driveable par 4 and I left myself a tap in. I have made one albatross, back in 1978.

What frustrates me is, I made 4 hole in ones before the age of 25 and in the 50 years since, have only come as close as hitting the flagstick and bouncing 30 feet away. Next to that, I left myself a 3 foot putt one day last year and missed the damned thing.
Thank you Dennis! I made my albatross hole in one all the way back in 2009, so the eagle has been waiting to happen for quite a while! :)

My guess is that the chances of getting a hole in one would go up the older you get as you start hitting lower shots that travel longer distances on the green. It's simply just more likely for the ball to drop with twenty metres of roll as opposed to with two metres. But you're still far too young to face such advantages! :)

Top Bottom