HCP
Old Age
Local club/country
Public Courses
Irons
Shiny silver things
Driver
Shiny blue thing
It's reaching that time of year when I become a 9 hole player. It's just too hot and humid to play 18 when some of my medications reduce heat tolerance. Last Monday, I shot 41 on the front nine at Killian Greens. I was sort of happy in retrospect, when I looked back on the round. I hit every fairway, 7 greens, putted like a spastic baboon with a putter I haven't used in years, (wondering if I wanted to keep it or sell it), and in general, realized I'd hit the ball pretty well after not playing for nearly 3 weeks while I was traveling.

Speaking of which... (unrelated to the thread) I saw my older granddaughter graduate Cum Laude from high school in Raleigh, NC, then flew to Oregon to meet my birth family in person for the first time. We've known each other for 3 years and talk every day, but due to Covid and forest fires near them, this was the first time we were able to be together.

My brother-in-law Bob is a ridiculously avid golfer. He makes me look like I never heard of the game, so driving around sightseeing with him was a treat, to have someone to talk golf with when I wasn't going crazy over the gorgeous scenery of the Pacific Northwest.

Last edited:

DennisMiller

HCP
Old Age
Local club/country
Public Courses
Irons
Shiny silver things
Driver
Shiny blue thing
I played last Friday and shot the same 41 on the same front side at Killian Greens. The difference was, I hit my irons sort of poorly, but putted like a wizard. I also got up and down twice from the sand.

I'm playing tomorrow morning and if I shoot 41 again, I'm going to think I'm jinxed.

PaulBoy

HCP
WHS 6.4
Local club/country
Army GC
Irons
Mizuno JPX919 Tour (4-PW) Modus3 105s
Driver
Mizuno ST200G Graphite Design Tour AD VR-50s
Hi Dennis ... You sound happy enough with 41 so does it really matter how you get there? - Golf is very annoying in respect of how it seems to mess with your head every time you play? - I don't have many days when I put like a wizard (as you did) but I can miss two or three six foot putts and then drain one from thirty feet!
As a senior golfer, I just want to hit a few great shots per round & that is enough to encourage me to try again another day!

DennisMiller

HCP
Old Age
Local club/country
Public Courses
Irons
Shiny silver things
Driver
Shiny blue thing
As a senior golfer, I just want to hit a few great shots per round & that is enough to encourage me to try again another day!
That's very much how I look at things these days too. In another thread, I mentioned my thoughts about joining a senior league and I've only kept score more seriously in recent weeks, for the most part to help establish some sort of handicap. Until recently, if I realized I've started off well, I'll count things up and keep score for the rest of the round, but most times, I don't bother.

As for being happy with the 41s on the front nine at Killian Greens, I'm probably no different than any other golfer. In other words, my initial thoughts are how many shots I could have saved, maybe breaking 40. It's almost always in retrospect that I realize I didn't play badly at all.

(EDIT) I fell stepping out of a bunker yesterday. I stepped out of the sand onto the grassy lip and it collapsed back into the sand. I fell on my side with a couple golf balls in my pocket and I've bruised my hip. It hurt enough that I quit after 6 holes and just drove my friend around to finish 9. For the first 6 holes, I probably shot 41 again. :)

Br1an_g

HCP
Local club/country
Ballumbie Castle
Irons
Mizuno MP54 3-PW DG X100
Driver
Mizuno jpx 850 9.5* Speeder
82 today in a friendly match. sun was shining, greens were fast and true. A good day for golf.

Top Bottom