HCP
Old Age
Local club/country
Killian Greens Golf Club
Irons
MX-1000
Driver
ST-180
I guess it's a toss up whether my comment here should go in this thread or somewhere under tournaments.

Have you seen how many people on the pro tours, not to mention what I'm seeing around local golf courses are still dropping from shoulder height? Asking "How Did You Do?" might be an irritating question to some of the pros who got penalties recently.

Brattz

HCP
Pro
Local club/country
Derby Golf Centre
Irons
Mizuno JPX 919 Tour (4-PW) - Project X LZ 6.5 120g - 0.5° Flat - 1/2"+
Driver
Titleist TS3 - HC Project X LZ17 6.5 60g, 9.5°, A1 - 11g
Standard day today in the medal.....
ED9A2517-B783-4603-ACDE-148B8A11F0AA.jpeg
The JPX919 Tours strike again

DennisMiller

HCP
Old Age
Local club/country
Killian Greens Golf Club
Irons
MX-1000
Driver
ST-180
Having recently been taught in a post not so far above what your expression "blob" means, that was pretty much all I could think about on the course this morning. I don't feel like I hit the ball so badly, but my 9 holes could rightfully be described as the height of blobbery.

Halebopp

HCP
Local club/country
Lakeside Golf Vammala, Finland
Irons
MP-H5/53/4
Driver
MP-650/ST180
I guess it's a toss up whether my comment here should go in this thread or somewhere under tournaments.

Have you seen how many people on the pro tours, not to mention what I'm seeing around local golf courses are still dropping from shoulder height? Asking "How Did You Do?" might be an irritating question to some of the pros who got penalties recently.
I haven't watched much golf this year so my knowledge of what happens on tours is limited to what I read. I did tune in to the WGC event on Sunday for about an hour and saw a fair bit of rules action with Rory and DJ trying to get relief from cart paths and Rory dropping on a DZ as he wasn't aware of a slight omission in the the rules about penalty areas. What a wild ride that hour of golf on TV was! :)

DennisMiller

HCP
Old Age
Local club/country
Killian Greens Golf Club
Irons
MX-1000
Driver
ST-180
I played 9 yesterday morning. I guess I must be infatuated with this new expression, "Blob", because I seem to make an awful lot of them.

Seriously, with the driver and irons, I seem to be making solid contact, but I'm still missing greens, then not getting up and down. I hit 2 greens and made pars yesterday. Of the 7 greens I missed, not only did I not get up and down a single time, but I didn't have but 1 putt under 10' long. I think it's pretty obvious what I need to practice.

Still, it's better to be playing than sitting like a blob in front of the tv, pun intended.

PaulBoy

HCP
WHS 7.0
Local club/country
Army GC
Irons
Mizuno Pro 223 (4-AW) Modus3 120s
Driver
Titleist TSi2 Graphite Design Tour AD XC-50s
Sorry to hear about your "blob" fixation? - Maybe you should change your avatar to this:
mrblobby.jpg
Cheers
Paul
PS - The picture is of "Mr Blobby"

DennisMiller

HCP
Old Age
Local club/country
Killian Greens Golf Club
Irons
MX-1000
Driver
ST-180
LOL - I'm on a somewhat unproductive diet right now. I'm blobby enough without having to look at my true self every time I log in.

WalkerCup

HCP
Scratch
Local club/country
British Isles
Irons
Mizuno JPX 921 Forged 4-PW KBS Tour 120 Stiff , 3 Deg up plus 1”
Driver
Ping G425 Max 10.5 HZRDS Blue Stiff
Not that I care to ever play in tournaments again, but I think I'm going to look for some sort of online handicap service. I'll probably play 80% of my golf at Killian Greens, but using the slope from wherever I play, I can develop a reasonable

handicap and calculate net points.

Not that I care to ever play in tournaments again, but I think I'm going to look for some sort of online handicap service. I'll probably play 80% of my golf at Killian Greens, but using the slope from wherever I play, I can develop a reasonable handicap and calculate net points.

It's amazing how scientific it's become. When my father worked with the handicap committee at the country club I grew up at, they just took the average over par and subtracted 1. So, if you played a bunch of rounds and you average amount over par was 12, you would be assigned an 11 handicap. It seemed so workable at the time...

It's amazing how scientific it's become. When my father worked with the handicap committee at the country club I grew up at, they just took the average over par and subtracted 1. So, if you played a bunch of rounds and you average amount over par was 12, you would be assigned an 11 handicap. It seemed so workable at the time...
Absolutely Dennis. This is how handicaps should be far fairer. Also people tended to take their medicine with rules of golf. I really blame TV and the internet for changing the game to what it is today. A day on the internet will give you the same knowledge as the senior member playing off 2 still that played top flight amateur golf in the 70s and 80s, however never the experience!! Beginners learned to play the game with unforgiving long irons and wooden woods, nowadays you can go out and buy a game with catapulting drivers oversize cavity back irons wedges up to 64 degrees etc, a pretty much instant gratification game! Yes I do prefer old school golf and yes you can call me a dinosaur!

I worry what the game is becoming, Rickie Fowler not dropping correctly, alex acejka too large a book with layout of greens and then blatant back stopping which is deemed not back stopping, quite poor really!! No, keep it simple and advance the ball forwards to the hole in the lowest number of strokes and into the hole!

Brattz

HCP
Pro
Local club/country
Derby Golf Centre
Irons
Mizuno JPX 919 Tour (4-PW) - Project X LZ 6.5 120g - 0.5° Flat - 1/2"+
Driver
Titleist TS3 - HC Project X LZ17 6.5 60g, 9.5°, A1 - 11g
36pts today in the Stableford. Horrendous conditions so I can only state that I am ecstatic with my score 😁

DennisMiller

HCP
Old Age
Local club/country
Killian Greens Golf Club
Irons
MX-1000
Driver
ST-180
Blob, Par, Blob, Par, Par, Par, Blob, Par, Par...
Actually, I was thrilled how well i hit it in general. I hit 3 really bad shots that cost me a bunch more. Other than those 3 shots, this is the closest I've felt like my old game in a long time.

c883884

HCP
GA 11.6
Local club/country
http://www.ttggolfclub.com.au
Irons
Mizuno MP18 3-PW PX 5.5, T4 50 58,
Driver
Mizuno ST-180, JPX900 3w, 5w - all Kuro Kage TiNi 60X, Mizuno putter
Absolutely Dennis. This is how handicaps should be far fairer. Also people tended to take their medicine with rules of golf. I really blame TV and the internet for changing the game to what it is today. A day on the internet will give you the same knowledge as the senior member playing off 2 still that played top flight amateur golf in the 70s and 80s, however never the experience!! Beginners learned to play the game with unforgiving long irons and wooden woods, nowadays you can go out and buy a game with catapulting drivers oversize cavity back irons wedges up to 64 degrees etc, a pretty much instant gratification game! Yes I do prefer old school golf and yes you can call me a dinosaur!

I worry what the game is becoming, Rickie Fowler not dropping correctly, alex acejka too large a book with layout of greens and then blatant back stopping which is deemed not back stopping, quite poor really!! No, keep it simple and advance the ball forwards to the hole in the lowest number of strokes and into the hole!

We would all love to play golf forever - the modernisation/evolution of golf has been brilliant !!!

https://www.nationalclubgolfer.com/news/montgomerie-interview-longevity/

WalkerCup

HCP
Scratch
Local club/country
British Isles
Irons
Mizuno JPX 921 Forged 4-PW KBS Tour 120 Stiff , 3 Deg up plus 1”
Driver
Ping G425 Max 10.5 HZRDS Blue Stiff

DennisMiller

HCP
Old Age
Local club/country
Killian Greens Golf Club
Irons
MX-1000
Driver
ST-180
Played 9 this morning. I still don't know how far I hit each iron, so I'm missing a lot of greens, but I'm still so thrilled just to be playing again that I really don't care. I did use my new ST180 driver and 3 wood for the first time and the sweet feel on the face of those clubs is a nice improvement over the JPX-EZ woods I was playing before. I used them with the regular flex shafts and felt I didn't hit them any farther, so I'm going to put the senior flex shafts in them and hope to play Thursday or Friday to try them that way.

Otherwise...

Molliedooker

HCP
Local club/country
Aust.
Irons
mp T series wedges. 4/pw 588i. / mp60 4/pw
Driver
JPX EZ S
G’Day Gents, Been a while. Unfortunately was unable to play for eighteen months until Dec .
Under this Slope system you keep the last handicap irrespective how long ago it seems .
My first first Comp back in Dec 18. was still on 14 handicap even though previous Comp was June 17. I ended 124th out of 124.
My second Comp in Feb. (played nine holes twice in between) on 14 again in same Comp came 3rd out of 124.
I have to say the JPX ez driver is the straightest most forgiving driver I have ever used.
I have shortened the backswing and still hit 13/14 fairways 220ish.
Am currently using mp 60 short irons and 588i long .

PaulBoy

HCP
WHS 7.0
Local club/country
Army GC
Irons
Driver
G'Day yourself - Sorry to hear you've had an 18 month break, but looks like you've hit the ground running & got competitive very quickly
Your right about the forgiveness of the EZ driver (I had one about 50 drivers ago lol!)
On the downside, 588 irons :eek: - Plenty of nice Mizuno long irons to be had
Welcome back
Paul

Molliedooker

HCP
Local club/country
Aust.
Irons
Driver
JPX EZ S
G'Day yourself - Sorry to hear you've had an 18 month break, but looks like you've hit the ground running & got competitive very quickly
Your right about the forgiveness of the EZ driver (I had one about 50 drivers ago lol!)
On the downside, 588 irons :eek: - Plenty of nice Mizuno long irons to be had
Welcome back
Paul
Thanks Paul , long time no talk eh.
Ha I’m all drivered out after having every TM and Callaway made , the jpx is a keeper. ,Being a lefty never seem to have lots of choices and around July 17 gathered up all my clubs except the mp’s and some old honmas which included two Scottie’s , a near new Ping G 30 driver ( shocker) and hogan irons and took down to a discount trader. The only new lh clubs he had were the 588i irons and MPX driver so did swap and he chucked in pair of Niblick shoes. Very happy.
Really need to go graphite in irons though so ....
Terry

DennisMiller

HCP
Old Age
Local club/country
Killian Greens Golf Club
Irons
MX-1000
Driver
ST-180
Played 9 again this morning. Nothing to brag about. I feel like I'm on the edge of playing pretty well again. I'm in a rut when 1 bad shot seems to be costing me 2 more, never getting out of trouble effectively.

PaulBoy

HCP
WHS 7.0
Local club/country
Army GC
Irons
Driver
Played 9 again this morning. Nothing to brag about. I feel like I'm on the edge of playing pretty well again. I'm in a rut when 1 bad shot seems to be costing me 2 more, never getting out of trouble effectively.
Well done Dennis, a whole post in the "How Did You Do" Forum without mentioning the B word :p
Paul

DennisMiller

HCP
Old Age
Local club/country
Killian Greens Golf Club
Irons
MX-1000
Driver
ST-180
ROFL... Please don't live under the misconception that there weren't plenty of them. :)

It's amazing to people who know my old competitive fire, but I don't care a bit about how I'm playing right now.

Without turning this into a religious post, in the 65 years I've played this game, I don't think I've appreciated it more than now. I had a genuine fear I'd never play again.

Where I play most, the course runs through forest land and homes on the front nine. Some of the views are pretty atypical for Miami. There are some ancient oaks and mahogany trees that line many holes and from certain positions, it's a very spiritual setting. Honestly, I look around and sometimes find my mind wandering, appreciating the surroundings instead of maintaining some bland outlook of the course as only a surface from which to hit a ball around.

The course has become a bit of a temple for me. It's more true of some courses than others. For example, Palmetto, a public course near me, is very manufactured looking and has extremely big and busy roads on 2 sides. It's hard to feel anything there.

While I would like to get back something resembling the game I once played, I feel like I'd also love to maintain this spiritual feeling I have for the game now. At the same time, without having to go through the surgery and all that, I hope my friends can someday feel the same things I do. I think it adds a lot to the game.

Last edited:

Molliedooker

HCP
Local club/country
Aust.
Irons
Driver
JPX EZ S
Ahh Dennis, And here I was thinking I was the only silly old b.
I’ve just read your post above and had a laugh to myself.
After my last Comp 4th/124 I did not feel the same buzz so I refurbished two old persimmon woods D,5 put them in the bag with some old honma irons and am having an absolute ball playing the odd nine holes once a week with them . Actually birdied a 380yd par four Monday. I carry the Mizzie D just in case I totally stuff my drives but to date no need.
Now the championships are in Aug. so thought I might play comps with the old clubs to adjust handicap . Can you do that🤭
I’ve put the two drivers side by side . Bit different 526C1BFB-DFDF-41E5-BB24-861B3991D6D6.jpeg

Top Bottom