How are custom fit clubs made?

HCP
Local club/country
Surrey, United Kingdom
Does anybody know how your Mizuno clubs are made after you've been through the custom fit process?

Do they still plug them for extra length and change the loft by sticking them in a vice and shed some sweat?...

... Or is there a more refined process when ordering them direct from Mizuno! I.e. the shafts are cut to size not extended, and the heads are forged just the way you need?

The reason I ask is because I went shopping for a shiny new set recently, and the number of inconsistencies and contradictions in even the `professional's` advice really struck me. And when one tells you that the only way to go is to stand in a machine and send your vital statistics off to Mizuno; and the other says we'll bung an extra bit of metal in the end and then twist the big bit of metal, while telling you: "It's the same as Mizuno do it in the factory" ... well it just gets a little bit confusing! :S

I realise I may be trivialising it slightly, and I do have every faith in all of the people I have spoken to; they all belong to reputable golf clubs and talk very good advice. And I do also realise that someone from Mizuno is going to say something like "You should only go to one of our fully paid up, licensed, evangelising retailers not very near to me for your peace of mind"...

...I just need someone to clarify the process so that I can go about making my choice based solely on the club 'in hand' and the price rather than worrying that I'll be getting an inferior service.

Thanks y'all,

Liam.

unbeatenthisyear

HCP
Local club/country
UK
Irons
MP-64
Driver
JPX Proto
Hello Liam

Mizuno has one of the most comprehensive custom fitting setups of all the leading manufacturers. We invest heavily in producing moulds for up to 3 different head weights for each model so that we can build clubs to the perfect swing weight for different finished club lengths and different shaft weights.

Plugging a shaft would only occur when building clubs to extreme lengths (2” longer) and only then for a couple of shaft models where the raw shaft length isn’t long enough to achieve the required finished length – if this was needed we would inform the customer before we build them.

I guess you may get one or 2 different stories from different retailers on how we build different specs but obviously we’ve nothing to hide and would be more than happy to answer any questions you may have here on the forum.

Regards, UTY

HCP
Local club/country
Surrey, United Kingdom
Fantastic, thank you for the very quick reply!

One of my main reasons for enquiring is that whilst I was shopping I came across your (what I've since discovered) much admired MX25s and found them to complement my swing very nicely. To which the pro selling them also agreed.

The problem I have now is that while he has some stock which he can fit with his own skilled hands, I'm concerned they won't ever be as good as if I were to have them crafted by a highly skilled Mizuno offspring. At which point he pointed out that you'd be very unlikely to still offer these clubs, obviously now being in favour of the new MX200s...

... Please do correct me if there is a better set for a fair-weather golfer who needs forgiveness (in more ways than one)?

BTW, I've written this same question as another thread on your Custom fit forum titled: "Do Mizuno still do custom fit on older style clubs?".

Thanks again,

BATHWAS
(Beaten around the head, with a stick).

unbeatenthisyear

HCP
Local club/country
UK
Irons
MP-64
Driver
JPX Proto
Hi Liam

Badgerant had a similar query under the post Adjusting Old Clubs - he wanted to know if retro custom fitting was possible. Worth a read especially as it looks like you'd have them longer than standard. Post copied below....

The best advice would have been to get them fitted from the outset as certain changes to the spec now could be costly or not ideal. For example if you need them longer than standard we would have built them using lighter heads to keep the swing weight at a standard balance (just lengthening them will make them heavier). Additionally, if you need to change the shafts (for different kick point, weight or flex) that can be expensive.

Having said all that, it’s certainly worth getting them checked out now as some aspects of the spec can still be changed/adjusted without too many problems/cost. Hopefully you won’t need to make too many changes but the main things to check for would be the club length, lie angle, grip size and the shaft/flex.

It maybe worth visiting one of our Fitting Centres for a check up/fitting. Details of you nearest one can be found at http://golf.mizunoeurope.com/store/fitting-centres-details.php

Regards, UTY

HCP
Local club/country
Surrey, United Kingdom
Ahh...yes that makes sense. So in fact it's likely that a set built to 'standard' fit will likely have a differently weighted head to one customised for the taller individual.

In that respect is it at all possible that someone/yourselves would have the suitably weighted MX25 heads for 1" longer sticks in stock that could be fit for me?

Thanks again, this has been a lot of help :)

Cheers,

Liam.

unbeatenthisyear

HCP
Local club/country
UK
Irons
MP-64
Driver
JPX Proto
Hi Liam

Unfortunately we don't have any MX-25 heads left in stock as that model was replaced with MX-200 in September last year. If you liked the 25s then I'm pretty confident you'll get on well with the 200s so why not try them out, it's our most popular iron at the moment.

Regards, UTY

Top Bottom