HotMetal Failings

Local club/country
UK
Irons
JPX 900 mixed forged and Hotmetal
Driver
Mizuno
Has anyone else found that the metal plating on their JPX 900 HotMetal Irons just peels off?
The black metal beneath the plating is both ugly and now starting to corrode - not something I expected from a great brand like Mizuno!

Brattz

HCP
Pro
Local club/country
Derby Golf Centre
Irons
Mizuno JPX 919 Tour (4-PW) - Project X LZ 6.5 120g - 0.5° Flat - 1/2"+
Driver
Titleist TS3 - HC Project X LZ17 6.5 60g, 9.5°, A1 - 11g
They look fake

seanmor

HCP
WHS 18.0
Local club/country
Caprington Golf Club Kilmarnock
Irons
MIZUNO JPX921HM irons 5-PW
Driver
ST-X 230 12.0 deg N.S.Pro 950 GH Neo R flex shaft
I have to say my first impressions are the same as Brattz it looks fake..!

How about giving us a bit more information..?

(1) how old are the irons

(2) did you buy them new or used and who did you buy them from ie from a Mizuno official outlet or private sale

(3) what is the six digit number etched on the hosel above where it says (CHROMOLY 4140M) and what letter follows at the end of the six digit number is it S or C

(4) and can you upload more photos showing different angles of view bottom sole, top line and back view that shows the back cavity area insert badge with the running bird logo and the JPX 900 Hot Metal Mizuno lettering.

Local club/country
UK
Irons
Driver
Mizuno
I have to say my first impressions are the same as Brattz it looks fake..!

How about giving us a bit more information..?

(1) how old are the irons

(2) did you buy them new or used and who did you buy them from ie from a Mizuno official outlet or private sale

(3) what is the six digit number etched on the hosel above where it says (CHROMOLY 4140M) and what letter follows at the end of the six digit number is it S or C

(4) and can you upload more photos showing different angles of view bottom sole, top line and back view that shows the back cavity area insert badge with the running bird logo and the JPX 900 Hot Metal Mizuno lettering.[/QUOT
Guys , not fake! Almost sounds like you work for Mizuno. Fitted to me by Mizuno on visit to my club. 071117C is number printed on club.

LOS

Local club/country
England
Does the iron have a fine crack on the edge?
900.jpg

If it is one then I suspect water has seeped in.

Local club/country
UK
Irons
Driver
Mizuno
After a clean I could see there was no crack, i think it was dirt from having just played. The pictures may not be the best but there is no crack.
I only play once a week and have had the clubs since May 2018. I really don't think this is good enough from Mizuno.

IMG_0970.jpg IMG_0968.jpg IMG_0968.jpg

PaulBoy

HCP
WHS 7.0
Local club/country
Army GC
Irons
Mizuno Pro 223 (4-AW) Modus3 120s
Driver
Titleist TSi2 Graphite Design Tour AD XC-50s
Hello ... How many clubs has this happened to? - The club in the pics looks like it has hit something to take a chunk out of it? - Once that happens (ime) it is impossible to stop the chrome from peeling away - If it's not just damage to one club and some / all of them are like this, then I would be equally hacked off & be
contacting Mizuno for some answers ...
Paul

Local club/country
UK
Irons
Driver
Mizuno
I have a mixed set of irons, 4,5&6 are Hotmetal others are forged. The 5 is by far the worst but I can see some evidence of this on the 4 too.
I am hacked off, it is true. I would welcome advice on how to contact Mizuno but unfortunately the Pro that I bought through is no longer in business and others with Mizuno accounts would, understandably, be reticent of pushing Mizuno on my behalf as they don't owe me anything and wouldn't want to upset Mizuno. That leaves me out in the cold!

If anyone from Mizuno monitors this forum - I would welcome a discussion on this.

LOS

Local club/country
England
I am slightly confused.

"Fitted to me by Mizuno on visit to my club. 071117C is number printed on club."

"I only play once a week and have had the clubs since May 2018 "

The clubs were built 7 november 2017 and you didn't receive them until 6 months later. Any idea where they were and how they were stored until you got them?

DennisMiller

HCP
Old Age
Local club/country
Killian Greens Golf Club
Irons
MX-1000
Driver
ST-180
Could you send it to Mizuno without too much cost? Maybe they could fix it, but they might also be able to tell you whether they are genuine, in which case, I'm not sure what they would do if they aren't. Where did you buy them? Any recourse there?

Local club/country
UK
Irons
Driver
Mizuno
Mizuno took a look at the clubs and are not prepared to do anything other than offer me a bit of a discount on a new set of 919's. Pretty poor in my opinion, I really liked my JPX900s but this has put me off Mizuno for life - would probably have bought 2 0r 3 new sets in the time I have left golfing!

BRUCELILY

Local club/country
Northern Ireland
Happened to me and were replaced. The lacquer appeared to be coming off the irons and were reported inside a year.

MPX

Administrator
Staff member
HCP
Local club/country
UK
Irons
JPX919 Hot Metal Pro 4-PW (C Taper Lite stiff), T20 wedges chrome - 50 / 56
Driver
ST-Z driver, ST200x 3wood, ST200x 5 wood
I won't / can't comment on specific cases. But most manufacturing defects rear their head within a year of purchase.....hence the warranty. If the irons come back to Mizuno for inspection - you've done everything you can do. They go back to the factory and are inspected by people with the most knowledge. The retailer would normally get feedback on why they were / weren't considered under a warranty. Often will be because damage is considered normal wear and tear, cosmetic or misuse. Or just outside of that one year period.

HCP
Local club/country
United Kingdom
Irons
JPX Hot Metal
Driver
Callaway Epic Flash
Has anyone else found that the metal plating on their JPX 900 HotMetal Irons just peels off?
The black metal beneath the plating is both ugly and now starting to corrode - not something I expected from a great brand like Mizuno!

I realise this thread is a year old but I have this problem with my JPX900 Hot Metal 6 Iron.
I noticed the deformity a couple of months ago while I was cleaning my clubs but it's got progressively worse so I now need to do something about it.

Background : Fitted and bought from my club Pro approx 3 years ago and I play approx 3 times a week.
I'll take it to the Pro next week but it's obv out of warranty so I doubt he'll be able to do much to help.

This is the only club that has the problem so I can't justify buying a new set of irons.

Do I just keep my eye out for a second hand one appearing on ebay ? But I need a replacement quickly.

Any helpful suggestions ?

TonyH

Local club/country
UK
Irons
JPX900 hot metal
I had my 900 hot metals custom fitted and ordered from Mizuno via American Golf. Over the last few months my PW developed a chip in the plating and now a chunk has peeled off to expose the black underneath. I don't know how it chipped, probably a stone. My thoughts are that this is probably wear and tear as I do play a lot of golf, however, I have never experienced it with any other club. Chips yes but not where the platting flakes off like it has. Even the Dunlops I purchased from Sports Direct took a battering and never fell apart like this.

I like Mizuno but if this is the standard nowadays, then I think I will look elsewhere. Lesson learnt

HCP
Local club/country
United Kingdom
Irons
JPX Hot Metal
Driver
Callaway Epic Flash
I had my 900 hot metals custom fitted and ordered from Mizuno via American Golf. Over the last few months my PW developed a chip in the plating and now a chunk has peeled off to expose the black underneath. I don't know how it chipped, probably a stone. My thoughts are that this is probably wear and tear as I do play a lot of golf, however, I have never experienced it with any other club. Chips yes but not where the platting flakes off like it has. Even the Dunlops I purchased from Sports Direct took a battering and never fell apart like this.

I like Mizuno but if this is the standard nowadays, then I think I will look elsewhere. Lesson learnt
Mine has deteriorated to expose the back base too. Passed it to my Pro a few weeks ago but he forgot about it 🤨 says he'll contact mizuno this week.
Think i'll pay the extra for forged heads next time.

Top Bottom