Help with DNA and Shaft Choice

HCP
Local club/country
Rochester & Cobham
Irons
MP-63 (4-PW) , MP Fli-Hi (3) , MP T-11 BN (52 Degree & 58 Degree)
Driver
JPX800 9 Degree (Project X 5.5) , JPX800 Fairway 15 Degree (Fubuki Regular) , JPX800 Hybrid 21 Degree (Fubuki Regular)
Dear all, I was just looking for some help with shaft choice.

In summary I attended 2 fitting sessions and got two different results from the DNA. The first session recommended Modus 120 Stiff (was not given the DNA numbers) and the second fitting recommended KBS $-Taper 120 Stiff. The the second fitting I did manage to get the DNA although the fitter was not forthcoming with this (80 6 3 5 8).

In both fittings I did hit the shafts and both were validated by the pro as hitting all the right numbers. They did feel a little stiff as I was use to hitting AMT Black in R300’s. In the end I bought JPX 921 Tours with $-Taper 120 Stiff.

I just wanted to get any further insights on my fitting as trying to get another fitting is proving very difficult and I am now looking at a couple of long iron replacements.

My preference is to have a softer feeling shaft with more weight at the head end and by guessing this would be a Modus 120 Stiff soft-stepped? However would it make more sense to stick with the KBS and try some lead tape as an experiment as I do find the head weight a little light in some irons.

Any additional advice will be much appreciated.

Best

Andrew

MTR

HCP
f0re
Local club/country
EU
Irons
MP-9-11-14-29-37-20
DNA is a nice starting point, but definitely not an end all recommendation. The software suggests KBS Tour S (ss), Modus 120S and $-Taper S for those numbers. Three very different FEELING shafts, which depending on de player COULD fit. If both shafts produced 'the right numbers' and you went with what felt best, you could do worse than to continue on that path. Without help form a good fitter mixing shafts can be tricky. 921 Forged/HMP with R+ $-tapers would be an option, or Recoil 95 with some of the saved weight added to the head. Too bad Mizuno doesn't offer KBS TGI; imho great LI/DLR shafts with plenty weight/flex options if the fitter knows how to step them. I'd go both lighter and softer, especially if you like a softer feel. Modus120 for most isn't (soft feeling), especially the S at 80mph.

HCP
Local club/country
Rochester & Cobham
Irons
Driver
JPX800 9 Degree (Project X 5.5) , JPX800 Fairway 15 Degree (Fubuki Regular) , JPX800 Hybrid 21 Degree (Fubuki Regular)
Thanks MTR and appreciate the reply.

I guess a few things have happened here; the 7 week period from fitting to receiving the irons made it difficult to recall the fitting experience. As with most fittings I could only hit a 7 iron so not able to check performance of long irons.

One question I did have, would anybody know the closest match to the TT AMT Black shaft profile in the Mizuno range? I appreciate the AMT has different shaft weights for each iron but it does provide a similar performance (I think) to other TT shafts that were previously part of the Mizuno offering e.g. TT Dynalite Gold XP.

Best

Andrew

Last edited:

MTR

HCP
f0re
Local club/country
EU
Irons
MP-9-11-14-29-37-20
Not as familiar with the Black as the White AMT, but AFAIK it ranges from 94-115g fitted, so lighter than the $-tapers and more head heavy feel/lower balance point. Ascending weight throughout is what makes them special IMHO and hard to say which of the stock options is closest in profile, let alone what it does for you. Both DG105 (firmer tip) and XP95 (softer throughout) are quite different. Modus 105 might surprise you in that weight category.

Hard (if not impossible) to say without a proper fit. Paper specs generally don't hold up in a fitting. Odd that the fitters gave you 114-120g S shafts @80mph, especially if you prefer a softer & head heavy feel. Could be tempo/transition visible to the eye, but even then. Dropping the tempo to 5 DNA suggests KBS Tour R (higher balance) and Modus 105S. Worth finding a fitter you trust and who thinks outside the box (cart).

HCP
Local club/country
Rochester & Cobham
Irons
Driver
Thanks again MTR, I think you are right.

I may just have to wait for the end of the restrictions before I can really make any progress. Anything else will just be a guess.

If I was to go for something now I guess my views have changed slightly and a DG105 or Modus 105 in both stiff soft-stepped would be best choice on paper based on specs (kept both at stiff to keep weight in the club).

Appreciate your replies.

Best

Andrew

MTR

HCP
f0re
Local club/country
EU
Irons
MP-9-11-14-29-37-20
No problem, glad to help :)
If you can wait for a proper fit that would be best indeed. FYI, the DG105 are basically the same design in R/S, 'just' cut differently (R longer tip, S longer butt) and final weight is within 2-3g between them & Modus105 within 4g. So no need to go stiffer for weight, just pick the flex/stepping that suits best.

Top Bottom