HCP
Old Age
Local club/country
Killian Greens Golf Club
Irons
MX-1000
Driver
ST-180
I've always read that the Old Course could be played backwards, and in fact, originally was designed that way. Apparently TODAY is backwards day there and I just wondered, have any of my friends in this forum ever had the opportunity to play it backwards? If so, how differently does it play from the way we know it?

Bonobobananas

HCP
Local club/country
England
Irons
Titleist T100s 😬
Driver
TM Stealth 2+
I’d definitely fancy getting a par if I tee’d off the first and played to the 18th green 👌🏻😄

PaulBoy

HCP
WHS 7.0
Local club/country
Army GC Hampshire
Irons
Mizuno MP-20 MMC (4-AW) Modus3 105s
Driver
TM Stealth II MRC Tensei Orange 50s
You're only a few days too late to experience just that: https://standrews.com/old_course_reversed
Nice quote on there from some guy called Tiger Woods!
"I’ve always wanted to play it backwards, one time before I die. I think that would be just a blast because I can see how certain bunkers – why would they put that there? And then if you play it backwards, you see it. It’s very apparent. That’s totally in play. That one day would be a lot of fun to be able to do."
Don't expect he made it this year though?

DennisMiller

HCP
Old Age
Local club/country
Killian Greens Golf Club
Irons
MX-1000
Driver
ST-180
I'm not sure how much preparation it takes to prepare the course to play reversed, but if it wasn't a big deal, I bet Tiger could ask and it would be done.

I'm an avid reader about the old courses, specially how they were designed by eyesight, shovels and the most sophisticated piece of earth moving equipment was an ox or a donkey. I have quite a few books on golf course architecture and I'm guilty of looking at most holes I play with the thought in mind that it could be improved by doing so and so. I've learned over time to keep my mouth shut around country club members.

The other night, I was talking with the accountant for Killian Greens. I mentioned a little drawing I wanted to do.

I have an aerial photo of Killian Greens and using the 9th green as a starting point, I want to redraw the course in reverse. It's impossible, of course, because there are too many houses in the way to play to successively backwards greens. You would start on the 9th green, playing to the 8th and it would be a ridiculous par 5. From there, it would be a par 3 over a house and a road to the 7th green, and so on.

My idea is simply to draw a tee where greens sit and a green where there are currently tees. I'm going to print out the course layout and enlarge it onto a piece of 24"x36" paper, then maybe water color the layout after I've lightly drawn it in. Am I bored?

BTW - I've been playing bachelor since Monday night and I haven't played golf yet. I hope to tomorrow morning.

Have a great weekend guys...

DennisMiller

HCP
Old Age
Local club/country
Killian Greens Golf Club
Irons
MX-1000
Driver
ST-180
I used a highlighter to outline the holes on the photo. It bled through nicely so I can reproduce it in a larger format and draw the greens where the tees are. Because of houses and streets falling where they do, it's impossible to reasonably make the course end on existing greens, so this is going to be just a matter of greens being tees and tees becoming greens backwards along the routing of the course as is. I'll eventually add bunkers, since what's there is now useless.

BTW - I had a required art course in college and for one project, designed a golf course. I got a 4'x4' piece of plywood, covered it with foam rubber about an inch thick, burned away some of that to make a rolling terrain and covered it with green felt. I laid out the holes, using different green fabric for tees and greens, pieces of sand paper glued down to be bunkers, used a blue gel glue to paint in lakes and used this gauze material from a model railroad store for trees. I had to have a meeting with the professor, because she knew nothing about golf and asked me to explain everything. A few years later, she got back in touch with me to tell me she had married an avid golfer.

I wonder how she would feel about this crazy project?

IMG_4836.JPG

IMG_4837.JPG

Top Bottom