Greatest long iron shots

Steve Smith

Local club/country
Newcastle upon tyne
Sorry guys

Little off topic but...

A man likes a top 10 ha ha.

Nominations as follows..

I am not talking about the greatest iron shots... more the greatest long iron shots under pressure when it mattered most.

Here is a few to start the debate...

Jack Nicklaus... 1 iron at 17 into a gale at Pebble Beach, 1972 US Open, hit the flag.

Tom Watson ... 2 iron... Royal Birkdale 72nd hole 1983 Open Championship, needed a 4 to win and flushed it to 20 feet holding against a left to right breeze.

Nick Faldo ... Muirfield 1987... pured a TP9 3 iron dead on line to 18 feet short in the mist and mire. 18 pars!! 😊😊😉😉

Faldo again... Muirfield 1992... almost lost it. Came back with steel and hit another fabulous long iron blade. Landed at the back of the green , RIGHT OVER THE FLAG!
2 putted to win.
I think Nick was possibly using TP19's or TN87 at this time? , someone may be able to correct me.

Cheers guys 😊😊

PaulBoy

HCP
WHS 7.0
Local club/country
Army GC Hampshire
Irons
Mizuno MP-20 MMC (4-AW) Modus3 105s
Driver
TM Stealth II MRC Tensei Orange 50s
As I am old & memory if failing, I will go with a very recent one:
Fellow Northern Irishman Rory sealing his first win in Scotland in 2023 Scottish Open after his sublime two-iron stinger from 200 yards on the 18th set up a decisive birdie

https://youtube.com/shorts/0hYrugaBAcQ?si=BTDF6AWIpBm_ecuq

Halebopp

HCP
Local club/country
Lakeside Golf Vammala, Finland
Irons
MP-H5/53/4
Driver
MP-650/ST180
I once flushed a 1 iron off the deck and I couldn't stop smiling for a couple of days after it. It didn't matter it had taken me two swings at it to get the first 200+ metres with it nor the fact that I found the ball in the rough behind the green. The feeling of that stroke was so pure I doubt I'll ever feel it again.

(Probably not in the top 10 of all time though.)

DennisMiller

HCP
Old Age
Local club/country
Killian Greens Golf Club
Irons
MX-1000
Driver
ST-180
While I can't name a specific shot, Andy Bean was always mentioned, and watched on the range by other pros, for his incredible ability to hit his long irons high, with as much stopping power as most players wedges.

Steve Smith

Local club/country
Newcastle upon tyne
While I can't name a specific shot, Andy Bean was always mentioned, and watched on the range by other pros, for his incredible ability to hit his long irons high, with as much stopping power as most players wedges.

Yeh Andy was awsome and hit his long irons like Jack and Weiskopf. Its sad these two great players have passed away.
Faldo said as a 16 year old kid, his dad took him to Troon to watch the Open in 1973, it got him into golf. He watched Nicklaus and Weiskopf hitting a 1 iron the size of a butter knife. 4 years later in 1977 he played in the Ryder Cup

Steve Smith

Local club/country
Newcastle upon tyne

Steve Smith

Local club/country
Newcastle upon tyne
I once flushed a 1 iron off the deck and I couldn't stop smiling for a couple of days after it. It didn't matter it had taken me two swings at it to get the first 200+ metres with it nor the fact that I found the ball in the rough behind the green. The feeling of that stroke was so pure I doubt I'll ever feel it again.

(Probably not in the top 10 of all time though.)
I think for a 1 iron off the deck it just really needs to be a very dry links course. You can not hit it if it is a bit wet. The tiny blade I have the TP9 and I have the MP14 which is slightly chunkier but still very small.
It is hopeless now, we are plodging around in a f****** bog. I really dont wish to play anymore. But our greens are great.

Top Bottom