Factory Lofts on MP20 MMC and production tolerances?

HCP
Local club/country
Blackmoor
Irons
MP20MMC 6-PW ProjectX LX 6.5
Driver
Epic Flach subzero 9 degrees Acrra FX 2.0 380 M5
Hi All

After playing 18 months with my MP20 MMC's I finally had enough of my inconsistent gapping so had the loft's checked, only to find out my 7 iron had been set to 29 degrees (3 degrees strong) with the 8 @ 36 & 6 @ 28 how can this get through quality control at the factory. it was a custom order so wasn't a demo 7 iron and was when the MP20's were first released so no production delays.

I would ask others with MP20's to seriously consider a loft & lie check as Mizuno production quality control very questionable.

HCP
Local club/country
United Kingdom
Irons
HMB 20
Driver
TaylorMade Simm 9.0
Same here have customer set of HMB 20 and same issue, lofts out by miles. Wedge should be 48 and it 46?

HCP
Local club/country
United Kingdom
Irons
HMB 20
Driver
TaylorMade Simm 9.0
Chrome come off of head from stone chip. Has anyone got any advice my 4 iron is chipped and the chrome is now coming off leaving bare steel beneath exposed, see picture.

DennisMiller

HCP
Old Age
Local club/country
Killian Greens Golf Club
Irons
MX-1000
Driver
ST-180
Forged irons generally can move off their specs after a certain amount of the pounding we put them through playing golf, but admittedly, the gaps on yours do sound pretty odd.

I'll be interested to hear how it's remedied.

Mianowski

HCP
Local club/country
Flanders Valley GC
Irons
MP20 MMC 4-PW X100
Driver
Titleist TS3 Hzrdus Smoke Black 6.5
I'm in the same club.....unfortunately! Picked up my MP20 MMC's in December and have played them through the spring. I was just not seeing consistent yardage gaps through the entire set. I ordered standard loft and 2 degrees upright. Just had the specs checked today (by a very experienced club builder) and the result blew my mind! All irons were off in loft from 1 to 2.5 degrees in both directions (most weaker, some stronger) and the lie angles were all off anywhere from 1 to 6 degrees flat from the ordered spec.

Now I know why my 7 iron is almost always staying right on solid strikes.....it has 6 degrees flat lie angle!

WalkerCup

HCP
Scratch
Local club/country
British Isles
Irons
Mizuno JPX 921 Forged 4-PW KBS Tour 120 Stiff , 3 Deg up plus 1”
Driver
Ping G425 Max 10.5 HZRDS Blue Stiff
Could happen and can happen with a lot of manufacturers I won't buy a certain brand any more due to tolerances plus or minus 1/8inch or plus minus 1 degree and thats before the covid Rush for manufacturers to fulfil orders. Your cases could be isolated and depends what machine you are using to measure and when it was last calibrated.

Funny us golfers being so precise about our equipment, we certainly wouldn't change banks as quickly as we do clubs and banks have been shafting the to of us the past 15 years poor customer service (relying on customers not to complain or bring complaints as far as Ombudsman)!

HCP
Local club/country
United Kingdom
Irons
HMB 20
Driver
TaylorMade Simm 9.0
Yes well my HMB are out on swing with on the 7 and 8 and worst still the chrome is coming off, literally peeling from slight stone chip damage. Not been my best buy and not my best clubs. Going back to Callaway.

LOS

Local club/country
England
Could happen and can happen with a lot of manufacturers I won't buy a certain brand any more due to tolerances plus or minus 1/8inch or plus minus 1 degree and thats before the covid Rush for manufacturers to fulfil orders. Your cases could be isolated and depends what machine you are using to measure and when it was last calibrated.
If you watched the Mizuno video of the tour of the Georgis site they "calibrate" twice a day but their tolerances are +/- 1 degree, its at about 6 min 20 secs in.

I know of one pro who although he had the test kit he never sent it to be checked by a calibration agency and I have heard of a couple of pro's who have used the heads out of a fitting kit to check their machines :(.

Last edited:

Mianowski

HCP
Local club/country
Flanders Valley GC
Irons
MP20 MMC 4-PW X100
Driver
If you watched the Mizuno video of the tour of the Georgis site they "calibrate" twice a day but their tolerances are +/- 1 degree, its at about 6 min 20 secs in.

I know of one pro who although he had the test kit he never sent it to be checked by a calibration agency and I have heard of a couple of pro's who have used the heads out of a fitting kit to check their machines :(.
From my perspective, the major disappointment is that there was clearly no QC on my clubs. If there was QC and tolerances were off, they would all be off by close to the same variables. That was not the case w my irons. Now I have to question how close the swing weights are!!!! This is TOTALY NOT OK when you are paying premium prices for a quality product. I can only say that I wish I checked them when they were received and wish I shipped them back to be fixed. The other thing that I recall, is that there wasn't QC spec sheet in the box when they arrived. This is something that Titleist has always done for me on new sets. There is a QC sheet included w the name and initials of the person that checked the specs. MIZUNO....get with the program!

WalkerCup

HCP
Scratch
Local club/country
British Isles
Irons
Driver
Is it not possible to blue print a club to exact specs ? after all its 2021 not 1921!

With laser measuring and calculated cap sizes of grips there shouldn't be a massive tolerance.

Bought a set of irons recently plus half inch over swing weight (forgive me father for I have sinned it wasn't Mizuno) was D6 / D7 argued with manufacturer who admitted they don't have light heads and couldn't get close to D2 , then said they could then said they couldn't. When asked what do golfers do when ordering this particular model over length, the answer was "we don't ask them about swing weight". So hang on if some one off 18 orders plus 1 inch longer the swing weight would deem the club pretty much unusable!!!

PaulBoy

HCP
WHS 7.0
Local club/country
Army GC
Irons
Mizuno Pro 223 (4-AW) Modus3 120s
Driver
Titleist TSi2 Graphite Design Tour AD XC-50s
Is it not possible to blue print a club to exact specs ? after all its 2021 not 1921!

With laser measuring and calculated cap sizes of grips there shouldn't be a massive tolerance.

Bought a set of irons recently plus half inch over swing weight (forgive me father for I have sinned it wasn't Mizuno) was D6 / D7 argued with manufacturer who admitted they don't have light heads and couldn't get close to D2 , then said they could then said they couldn't. When asked what do golfers do when ordering this particular model over length, the answer was "we don't ask them about swing weight". So hang on if some one off 18 orders plus 1 inch longer the swing weight would deem the club pretty much unusable!!!
I had a similar situation with a pal of mine - He tried some Cl£v£vland hybrid irons & hit them much better than his old ones - He ordered a custom set (+ 1" with 95g steel shafts) & when they arrived he could not hit them at all (on the range or course) - I checked the swing weight they were all in the D8 D9 range, so hardly a surprise he could not hit them - After some to-ing & fro-ing with the Pro shop, the clubs went back to the manufacturer - They "adjusted" them & sent them back to the Pro - I checked them again (the Pro shop does not have a swing weight balance?) and they were all D5 D6 (still far too heavy) - Cl£v£land finally conceded they could not supply a set of clubs +1" & 95g steel shafts, with a playable swing weight & my pal got a refund - Different weight heads are clearly not available to some manufacturers out there? - Scary in the 21st century ...

WalkerCup

HCP
Scratch
Local club/country
British Isles
Irons
Driver
I had a similar situation with a pal of mine - He tried some Cl£v£vland hybrid irons & hit them much better than his old ones - He ordered a custom set (+ 1" with 95g steel shafts) & when they arrived he could not hit them at all (on the range or course) - I checked the swing weight they were all in the D8 D9 range, so hardly a surprise he could not hit them - After some to-ing & fro-ing with the Pro shop, the clubs went back to the manufacturer - They "adjusted" them & sent them back to the Pro - I checked them again (the Pro shop does not have a swing weight balance?) and they were all D5 D6 (still far too heavy) - Cl£v£land finally conceded they could not supply a set of clubs +1" & 95g steel shafts, with a playable swing weight & my pal got a refund - Different weight heads are clearly not available to some manufacturers out there? - Scary in the 21st century ...
All very much a pee take. How often is Swing Weight overlooked when ordering clubs?

Thankfully Mizuno have B Heads to allow for overlenght clubs and one other Manufacturer, PING, offer pretty much blue print specs. Great to see!!

Mianowski

HCP
Local club/country
Flanders Valley GC
Irons
MP20 MMC 4-PW X100
Driver
My latest issue is that I ordered a 921 Tour gap wedge and Mizuno shipped it out with a forged head. I saw the order form and “TOUR” was clear as day! What is wrong with me continuing to buy from a company that clearly does not seem to care about the customer! Really frustrated and disappointed. Next set will definitely not be mizuno!!! Word to the wise! Check your equipment specs very carefully before you accept it as being fit to your order!!!!!!!

Top Bottom