Equipment vs Lessons

HCP
Local club/country
Northumberland
Irons
MP H5
Driver
ST190
What brought you back to golf Deemac, good you are hitting it better!!

Jens0n

HCP
Local club/country
England
Irons
JPX 921 Forged
It's a good question, equipment vs lessons.
Over the years I've typically had a series of (full swing) lessons a the beginning of a season to get me started and thereafter maybe a lesson or two (short game) during the season.
What's changed in the years is the technology that pro's now have at their disposal, video and tracking, to be able to tune a engrained swing or build afresh. As a result, I see technology enhancements bring more value and better results, faster - based on the empirical data available.

Lessons also nurture confidence, you see where I'm going with this ;o)

It's nice having great equipment, but if you want to get better, imo, lessons are probably the better investment if you can't afford both.
J

HAIRY ESSEX BLOKE

HCP
Local club/country
Fabulous Frinton on Sea ESSEX
Irons
MP53 4-PW MPT 10 51 & 54 deg various fairways & hybrids plus MX23, MP18MMC, MMC hi fli CLK hybrids T7 wedges
Driver
Mizuno MX700 JPX EZ ,GT & ST180 & ST180G
Indeed DCB, we are all different, I suppose I am talking about the group of players who rely on equipment to improve their game rather than lessons, hard work and practice...

I've had 3 great coaches:

1) Kevin Craggs, got me to 12 and then we got stuck, and I moved on
2) The late, great Adam Hunter, coach of Paul Lawrie when he won the Open, sadly our relationship was ended when he passed away from leukemia, and he is sadly missed
3) David Patrick, who worked on my short game with me just before I stopped playing

Now that I'm back, I've booked a full-day golf clinic with David again and see if I can pick up where I left off.

In terms of equipment, however, I already have a bag full of Mizuno magic and have no plans to change.
Indeed Mr D the word you used 'relationship' this is the most important part of the game, we are here for our love of mizuno yes, I have always found that the way that we relate to our coaches is most important, dare I say it is like a marriage. I have only had three coaches in my time in golf having come to the game rather later in life they all become very important to me not just from a technical side but making me feel that I am good at what I do and can improve even further without major swing changes or equipment updates. I always come away from a lesson feeling a million dollars.

Deemac

HCP
Local club/country
Torrance House Golf Club EK
Irons
MP 69's
Driver
Mizuno JPX 850 Fujikura Orochi 60g Stiff
What brought you back to golf Deemac, good you are hitting it better!!
I think that, like lots of others, lockdown made us do things differently. Not being able to go to the gym made me think of other ways to get out and about. So golf was a natural thing to go back to.

All my life I have devoted myself to only one thing at a time, so for a number of years it was scuba diving, then it was golf and then it was the gym.

As I get older, however, I realise that i can do more than one thing, but perhaps take it less seriously. I was taking golf too seriously, working to get down to scratch, playing in comps and team events all the time, and I lost the love of the game.

I joined Prestwick St Nicholas golf club this week, which is a 40min drive away, and I am determined to make sure I play to enjoy myself and not get too involved in competitions etc.

I still want to play to a high level if possible, hence getting lessons again, but I have no intention of playing competitively again...

Top Bottom