Electric Trolley’s - replacement batteries??

MizzyFanUK

HCP
Local club/country
UK
Irons
Mizuno Pro 221 (PX LS 6.0) / 225 / T22 wedges
Driver
ST-G 230
Hi, just wondering if anyone has tried replacing the OEM batteries in their electric trolley's with an 'off brand' battery?

Did it work out ok or blow up your existing trolley? Just asking as the 36 hole battery in my PowaKaddy FW5 is now behaving more like a 14 hole battery (... they don't last forever) and I was a little suprised at the cost to purchase a replacement PowaKaddy equivalent battery (c£300!). Any thoughts (and / or recommendations) greatly appreciated. Thanks

Last edited:

PaulBoy

HCP
WHS 7.0
Local club/country
Army GC Hampshire
Irons
Mizuno MP-20 MMC (4-AW) Modus3 105s
Driver
TM Stealth II MRC Tensei Orange 50s
Hello ... I bought a replacement battery for a Powakaddy several years ago - It was a brand called "Little Yellow Miracle" & it is still working! - From googling around, I don't think they are still in business? - This battery is a small footprint (a third of the size of the lead acid battery it replaced) but sits snugly in the battery tray of my current trolley (a Golf Stream) - Your FW5 battery seems to have a very distinctive profile, so I don't know if you need a replacement that is exactly the same size & shape, or if when you remove it you can fit a "generic" lithium battery like mine in the battery tray? - Anyway, I would happily buy a generic battery provided it was covered by some sort of warranty / guarantee
HTH ... Paul

LOS

Local club/country
England
You have to be carefull putting a generic lithium battery into your trooley as you will have to make sure that is the same voltage as the one you are using, i think 29.6 V, and that it is compatible with your cahrger. I think the powacaddy system has a special plud which is used to sense the type of battery and the charger knows when the battery is full.
While nothing to do with golf I have a friend who is into photography but decided to be a cheapskate with the lithium battery for one of his cameras and bought a generic one of the correct voltage however when he used it in his camera the battery expanded and he couldn't remove it. He had to have the camera repaiared and as he used a non oem battery he voided the warranty on his camera.

MizzyFanUK

HCP
Local club/country
UK
Irons
Mizuno Pro 221 (PX LS 6.0) / 225 / T22 wedges
Driver
ST-G 230
Hello ... I bought a replacement battery for a Powakaddy several years ago - It was a brand called "Little Yellow Miracle" & it is still working! - From googling around, I don't think they are still in business? - This battery is a small footprint (a third of the size of the lead acid battery it replaced) but sits snugly in the battery tray of my current trolley (a Golf Stream) - Your FW5 battery seems to have a very distinctive profile, so I don't know if you need a replacement that is exactly the same size & shape, or if when you remove it you can fit a "generic" lithium battery like mine in the battery tray? - Anyway, I would happily buy a generic battery provided it was covered by some sort of warranty / guarantee
HTH ... Paul
Thanks Paul. Interesting to hear. Yes - the FW5 has a 'plug 'n play' type battery which is quite distinctive in shape. Any 'generic' battery would need some 'janking' I think to stay secure (velcro tape to tray and battery bag or just a bungy cord over the top maybe???). The connector to the trolley is also quite specific (I think they used and 'Anderson' type (3 pin) on the FW3 / FW5 and FW7). But adapters can be relatively cheaply sourced I think. The voltage point that LOS raised is more technical (to me - a complete layman when it comes to such matters anyway). Will need to do a bit more research on that one.

I have in theory seen Lithium '36 hole' replacements for less than half what PowaKaddy are pricing their 36 hole equivalent at eg

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/11257834...VS2UFrGpl7OQu8aNiMEdGCDgU5LT|tkp:BFBMzK2V5rNi

It almost makes buying a new trolley a better option. Or at least a used trolley (newer... but still used) with a fully functional battery in it. I guess the risk there though is that 'why is the seller selling it...and is the battery about time for a change' - and I would be left in exactly in the same position, just a few more months down the line.

Top Bottom