Draino - the forgotten monster?

Steve Smith

Local club/country
Newcastle upon tyne
Always been a blade guy - Pro 2s, MP14, TP9, MP32, MP37, still got them all. And I love my Bettinardi C01 and MP T105 putters. Still trying to source the holy grail 9001 napa.

But getting a bit long in the tooth now and struggling to maintain 7hcp instead of 25 years ago when I could play to 3 every day.

JPX 900 Hot Metals with KBS Tour 90 were a breath of fresh air a couple of years ago and given my game a new lease of life.

Anyway will stop babbling.

Back in the day nearly 20 years ago Drainos were f****** hideous garbage but now what with the TM Spiders and other similar brands etc they seem to have been way ahead of their time 😀😀

I picked up a mint 300H with cover and oversize Winn grip for 40 quid last year on Gumtree.

Incredibly forgiving and really easy to line up, tracks perfectly.

But...... feels like a brick on a stick.

Then I had an idea....

I cut a piece out of an old leather belt and glued it to the face.

Soft as mustard now, like an Oddysey insert, ha ha!

I reckon these putters will only go up in value now because of the innovative design ahead of its time and the fact they are quite rare and were so unloved at the time.

I thought I might patent the leather belt insert option but I dont think Mizuno legal team would look very kindly at me.

😁😁😁😁🤣🤣🤣🤣

Any thoughts gents and ladies ?

PaulBoy

HCP
WHS 7.0
Local club/country
Army GC
Irons
Mizuno Pro 223 (4-AW) Modus3 120s
Driver
Titleist TSi2 Graphite Design Tour AD XC-50s
Hi Steve ... The Draino is certainly an acquired taste, but you are right that Mizuno appeared to be way ahead of it's time with it - I'm not a fan of the big headed putters, US Pro Brian Harman uses one that looks like a DVD Player on a stick!
As to your leather insert, unless the rule has changed, I think you'll find it would be considered an external attachment, rendering the club non-conforming & in breach of equipment rules - IIRC lead tape was the only thing allowed to be added to a putter & that excluded the face (?) - Probably ok to use yours in social golf, but not competitions (?)
Cheers ... Paul

Steve Smith

Local club/country
Newcastle upon tyne
Hi Steve ... The Draino is certainly an acquired taste, but you are right that Mizuno appeared to be way ahead of it's time with it - I'm not a fan of the big headed putters, US Pro Brian Harman uses one that looks like a DVD Player on a stick!
As to your leather insert, unless the rule has changed, I think you'll find it would be considered an external attachment, rendering the club non-conforming & in breach of equipment rules - IIRC lead tape was the only thing allowed to be added to a putter & that excluded the face (?) - Probably ok to use yours in social golf, but not competitions (?)
Cheers ... Paul
Thanks Paul

Reminds me of the feud between Lyle and Faldo in the early 80s

Playing in Africa, Sandy put a sticking plaster on the top of his putter as the sun was dazzling him. Faldo reported him to the official and Lyle was disqualified.

Hard to believe that Sandy was daft enough to not know the rules. But... the gentemanly thing to do would have been for Faldo to have spoken to him first and allowed Lyle to inform the officials himself.

Its a can of worms mate!!

Think I will stick to the Bett C01 for comps, its much nicer 😀😀😀😇😇😇

Top Bottom