Do you care if your irons are MP or JPX?

Do you care if your clubs are MP or JPX

• No - i'll hit them all and see what works best

Votes: 23 79.3%
  • Yes - i'm always a JPX guy

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Yes - i'm always an MP guy

Votes: 6 20.7%
  • I didn't know there was a difference

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

MPX

Administrator
Staff member
HCP
Local club/country
UK
Irons
JPX919 Hot Metal Pro 4-PW (C Taper Lite stiff), T20 wedges chrome - 50 / 56
Driver
ST-Z driver, ST200x 3wood, ST200x 5 wood
Curious. Now we have a JPX919 Tour.....which is smaller than some of the MP's and used by the world #1.

MrK20

Local club/country
Germany
Irons
Mizuno / MP 20 HMB; MP 20; T20 / 2; 3-9; 49, 54, 60, Nippon Modus 120 S
Driver
Mizuno / ST-Z / D, 3W, 5W / JPX900 22H / CLK 25H. MRC Diamana D+(D, 3W, 5W) , Fujikura SIX R(22), Fujikura Speeder Hb 85 (25)
So I am playing JPX at the moment and absolutely loving them and I am yet to play a set of MP Irons but I am an MP guy. I was in the SGI Market when I got my EZ Forged and there was no option in that segment in the MP Range (still isn't obviously) so I got the JPX. The EZs dark color and whole looks really appealed to me. But if I were to buy a new set of irons now, that my ballstriking has gotten better, I would go MP all day long. Probably more forgiving than the JPX 919 Tour, but that's not what it is about for me. The MP range just speaks differntely to me. I prefer the classical look from the back side, the less technology driven approach, even the marketing. So yeah, without even having played MPs - I am an MP guy ;).

LOS

Local club/country
England
I have played MX, MP and currently JPX900 irons and as long as they feel right and do the job it doesn't matter. My backup set alternates between MX300's and MP60's.

HAIRY ESSEX BLOKE

HCP
Local club/country
Fabulous Frinton on Sea ESSEX
Irons
MP53 4-PW MPT 10 51 & 54 deg various fairways & hybrids plus MX23, MP18MMC, MMC hi fli CLK hybrids T7 wedges
Driver
Mizuno MX700 JPX EZ ,GT & ST180 & ST180G
Tried them all and fell in love and now I still have them all and my wife......

Halebopp

HCP
Local club/country
Lakeside Golf Vammala, Finland
Irons
MP-H5/53/4
Driver
MP-650/ST180
I have MP-4s and the orange EZ Forged and the name doesn't matter to me. It comes down to performance, feel and looks.

As for the brands, I believe you shouldn't dilute the MP brand by making an MP version of the Hot Metals. (which I think look good and perform very well, I'd have no trouble playing them). The MP should stay as the "players' line" regardless of what's done within the JPX family and offering a players' JPX club like the Tour.

DCB

HCP
Local club/country
Midlothian, Scotland http://www.merchantsgolf.com
Irons
My ReHab Bag - Mizuno JPX 900 HM 5-GW A Shafts, JPX EX 4H, JPX 900 5 & 7 Wood Orochi RL Shafts.
Driver
JPX 900
Having been drawn to Mizuno when I bought my MP30s fifteen years ago, I'd have said at that time I was an MP guy. Times change and havinf played the first incarnation of EZs for 3-4 years and only recently taken a set of 900HMs on board, I'd say I'm firmly in the "No - i'll hit them all and see what works best" camp now. Mizuno now give enough options to bring people onboard who previously thought it was just players clubs. The sucess of the recent 900 range and the current 919s shows that to be true.

PaulBoy

HCP
WHS 7.0
Local club/country
Army GC
Irons
Mizuno Pro 223 (4-AW) Modus3 120s
Driver
Titleist TSi2 Graphite Design Tour AD XC-50s
I selected "MP Guy" - I did have a season with JPX900 Forged but had some distance control issues & have gone back to a combo set of MP4 / MP15
I might consider a JPX Tour set which (imho) are virtually the same as an MP set?
Paul
PS - Unless I missed it, doesn't the World #1 still use the 900 Tours (?)

Last edited:

Chrisp226

HCP
Local club/country
Preston GC Lancashire
Irons
MP18 2 iron MMC flihi TT X100 s/step - JPX 919 Forged 4-7 X100, JPXTour 8-PW X100 - T7 50/54/58 wedges
Driver
ST190G Atmos Tour black 6X ST190 3W TS Tensei CK Blue X
I,ve just had a fitting session yesterday and have had MP18’s in the bag for a year, having played blades pretty much all my golfing life, (I go back to the days of TP11/18,s) I have just ordered 4-7 JPX 919 forged, 8-PW Tour.
Both give me consistent spin rates to the 18’s with more forgiveness and in the forged, slightly higher peak height but better drop angle plus half a club longer length as a bonus !
So I,m neither one or the other, heart says MP head says JPX

Brattz

HCP
Pro
Local club/country
Derby Golf Centre
Irons
Mizuno JPX 919 Tour (4-PW) - Project X LZ 6.5 120g - 0.5° Flat - 1/2"+
Driver
Titleist TS3 - HC Project X LZ17 6.5 60g, 9.5°, A1 - 11g
I was MP all the way but tried the JPX 919 tour against the MP18 and the JPX looked like an MP but performed better.... changed to JPX

Varry Hardon

HCP
Local club/country
Dukinfield
Irons
H5 long irons, Takomo 101T, S23 wedges
Driver
ST-G
MP for years.
But if I was buying new clubs next year it would be 919s.
Just don't play very much these days.

DennisMiller

HCP
Old Age
Local club/country
Killian Greens Golf Club
Irons
MX-1000
Driver
ST-180
Like 82%, I voted for trying things out and finding out what works best for me.

That said, I think it should have said YES, I care, so I try, etc.

Personally though, the condition of my game pretty much suggests the most help I can get is what I need, so the JPX line is where I'd expect to find that.

Celtic_Bil

HCP
Local club/country
Hunley Hotel & Golf Club, North Yorkshire
Irons
MP18SC/MP5/MP54
Driver
JPX850
Went for an MP58 (or maybe 59) fitting years ago and the fitter recommended I try MX300. Did so and came out with probably the best clubs I have had (head or shaft? o_O). So long as they are not massive, ugly things I wouldn't be bothered if they were MP, MX or JPX.

Top Bottom