Local club/country
Kirkhill Golf Club
Irons
JPX900, Project X LZ 5.5 4-PW
Driver
ST180 Driver KURU KAGE TINI70 stiff shaft
Assassin said:
Kev....Bono is probably correct :p

However, it might be a good idea to post this in the Fitting Technicians Questions and Answer thread .:handshake:
im a young(ish) pup lol 

RobB2

HCP
Local club/country
http://www.lilleshallhallgolfclub.co.uk/
Irons
MP25 4-6,MP5 7-PW,PX 6.0 ,Mizuno T7 50,54,58 all PX6.0,,TM M2 3 wood 15 deg Aldila Rogue Silver 70 stiff,Mizuno JPX 800 3 hybrid Fubuki stiff .TM Spider Tour Black 34".Ball- Vice Pro +
Driver
Taylor Made M2 10.5 Aldila Rogue Silver 70 Stiff
Kevmc said:
Apologies if this is a daft question but when I got fitted my swing speed was 84 mph, now the fitting club was a graphite shaft with the dna attached to it, I was fitted for project x 5.5

now recently I went to play with a launch monitor and my 6 iron swing speed was constitatly around 78 mph, does this mean I maybe need new shafts or is the calculation based on swinging the lighter test shaft faster ??

edit results were 84-5-7-7-6
Your original 84-5-7-7-6 give
Dynamic Gold S300
Project X 5.5
KBS Stiff

78-5-7-7-6 gives you

XP 115 S300
NS Pro 1150 Stiff
KBS Stiff Soft Step

Dgvillere

HCP
Local club/country
Kingwood Country Club/ / Houston, Texas
Irons
JPX 850 Forged with Nippon 950 GH stiff 4-GW. Mp-T5 wedges 54/12 and 58/12
Driver
JPX 850 10.5 also 15* 3 metal and 18* 5 metal and 22* hybrid all with Motore 6.3 Toiur Spec stiff
Mine are 92 4-4-5-6 with my 850 forged it recommends a soft step DG x100 but I really don't believe I should be in an X anything even soft stepped, I had the xp115 stock shafts which are fine but started tinkering (like we all do) and came across the Nippon 950 which was giving me +5 yards carry, a bit better spin rate, and a touch higher flight which I personally like.  So I have the Nippons ordered thru work at Golfsmith and will be installing them soon. 

One of the catch 22 situations about working at Golfsmith, the good thing is decent discounts on some items, the bad news you're always tinkering with equipment , your swing, something .

Assassin

HCP
Local club/country
Irons
MP 54
Driver
MP 650
Dgvillere said:
Mine are 92 4-4-5-6 with my 850 forged it recommends a soft step DG x100 but I really don't believe I should be in an X anything even soft stepped, I had the xp115 stock shafts which are fine but started tinkering (like we all do) and came across the Nippon 950 which was giving me +5 yards carry, a bit better spin rate, and a touch higher flight which I personally like.  So I have the Nippons ordered thru work at Golfsmith and will be installing them soon. 

One of the catch 22 situations about working at Golfsmith, the good thing is decent discounts on some items, the bad news you're always tinkering with equipment , your swing, something .
It just goes to show the DNA is a fantastic tool as a starting point. Even though the 950's dont figure in the first 3 choices. Personal preferences also come into the equation, especially the type of ball flight, feel you are looking for. 

Irons at the end of the day are precision instruments and it doesnt matter if you are hitting a certain shaft 5 yards longer or shorter. As long as the distances are consistent, this is what really matters, in my opinion

ohwhatafinish

HCP
Local club/country
UK
Irons
JPX 850 Forged 5-PW xp115 stiff - Cleveland Rotex 2.0 wedges 50, 54 & 58
Driver
Titleist 915 D2 10.5, Cobra Fly Z Hybrid 16 deg, 20 deg & 24 degrees stiff flex
My DNA stats 3 years ago gave me a project x 5.0 shaft. The same DNA stats now give me a xp115 stiff soft stepped. Not too keen on the idea of soft stepping the shafts as it felt good with the standard shaft in. Interesting how the shaft recommendations change over the years. 

RobB2

HCP
Local club/country
Irons
MP25 4-6,MP5 7-PW,PX 6.0 ,Mizuno T7 50,54,58 all PX6.0,,TM M2 3 wood 15 deg Aldila Rogue Silver 70 stiff,Mizuno JPX 800 3 hybrid Fubuki stiff .TM Spider Tour Black 34".Ball- Vice Pro +
Driver
My stats 5 years ago  were 92 5 4 4 3 now they are 91 6 4 4 6 still recommending same 3 shafts and happy to use the PX 6.0.

Local club/country
Asia
need a little help here with the below stats from the DNA stats:82 3 5 4 5
any idea what shafts are recommended based om the above?

Local club/country
Asia
hi guys, just did my fitting yesterday and got these stats: 80, 4, 6, 4, 4
i was recommended 5 different shafts and i forgot which ones.
Could someone tell me the proposed options based on the above stats?
thanks!

Assassin

HCP
Local club/country
Irons
MP 54
Driver
MP 650
ReDeViL said:
thanks!
RDVL

Those numbers would give you...

XP 115 S300 Soft Step
NS Pro 1150 Stiff
KBS Stiff Soft Step

Local club/country
Asia
Assassin said:
ReDeViL said:
thanks!
RDVL

Those numbers would give you...

XP 115 S300 Soft Step
NS Pro 1150 Stiff
KBS Stiff Soft Step
thanks!
very much appreciated!

pikelet

HCP
Local club/country
United Kingdom
Irons
Wilson Ci9
Driver
Callaway Razr Fit 10 degree reg shaft
Re: DNA Stats

My numbers came out at 79, 5, 4, 5, 6Was a little confused about the soft/hard step comments.Any thoughts on shaft suggestions. Seemed to be marginal stiff?Thanks in advance.

Local club/country
MMGC
Irons
MIzuno MX-200
Driver
Mizuno JPX825 10.5 R
I would need some help guys.

In the search of new set of clubs after many sessions in American Golf and visiting demo days of different manufacturers (for correct shafts) I decided to get fit with swing DNA today. My results were: 82-4-6-3-8. System reccomended:

Dynalite Gold XP S300 Soft Stepped
Nippon 1150 S
KBS Tour S Soft Stepped

I was surprised I actually generate that much clubhead speed (I thought I was more 70mph) and also that all shafts I was recommended with were mid/heavy weight, at least that's how they felt to me. I'm kind of used to playing lighter shafts (85-105g) and always played Regular stiffnes, mostly whatever was fitted as "standard" in my irons. I carry my 6 iron 155-160 yards, sometimes I get 165 yards on a pure shot.
Is there a way to have lighter shafts as opposed to specified above, but stiffer in flex that would play similar? I didn't ask my fitter about that option (I guess I was a bit extatic about fitting process) and maybe I should. I was thinking about shafts like:

Dynalite Gold XP 95 S
Dynalite Gold XP 105 R/S
KBS Tour 90 S (?)

On the monitor and when testing clubs on demo days I got very consistant results with lighter Dynalite Gold XP's, I even played Mizuno MX 200 with Dynalite Gold XP Reg on them (113g?) - it played nice, but it felt like shaft was really performing when I'm swinging close to 100% and pured it, hence my confussion about being reccomended with S softstepped of the same shaft...

Back to my session: I dismissed Nippons as I never had any success with them (which was confirmed on the screen after few shots). Store didn't have soft stepped shafts so I gave "normal" stiffs a go accordingly. I had good result with KBS but surprisingly Dynalite Gold XP was giving me very poor results. I couldn't load the shaft... if felt like it was laughing at me that I couldn't handle it. It got me worried that even softstepped Dynalite Gold XP 115 S would be too stiff (as far as I understand soft stepped shaft plays about 1/3 flex weaker).

At the end I'm even more confused. I used DNA swing analysis to take out a guesswork, but what I got as recommendtion didn't feel good to me... I can still feel my back right now after 3-4 hours after fitting session! If I absolutely had to pick one shaft out of initial reccomendadtion I would go with KBS, I remember hitting it with Taylormade Burner irons and it was giving me good results back then... I just don't know anymore...

Sorry about my rambling... :)

Thoughts....?

EDIT (for anyone who managed to read through) :) :

The issue bothered me so much so I went back to the fitter to hit some of proposed clubs on the lauch monitor.

I tried Dynalite XP Reg first and was hitting it with a bit of mixed results, good shots went high and far ~160-162 yards, bad shots though were very punishing, pretty much a lost shot to me. I was generating up to 82 mph clubhead speed with my 6 iron (accurate according to Mizuno DNA fitting from yesterday) so softstepping COULD be good option to bring trajectory down a bit, yet don't play full flex harder.

Later I grabbed KBS Tour R... and wow! Either I was just dead accurate throughout the session or that shaft just fit me! I generated same distance as with Dynalite XP R, but more consistant (better dispersion). Shot trajectory was great, very consistant all the way and a bit lower than XP... I was very happy! The odd thing was I was only able to generate 75-76 mph clubhead speed with KBS shaft, but got pretty much the same numbers on the monitor. I was even able to generate a bit of draw trajectory naturaly without actually trying, but couldn't do it as easy with Dynalite XP.

Conclusion:

I think I will go KBS Tour Regular after all that hussle. 75 mph clubhead speed with that shaft is exactly what goes for Regular flex and I don't need to do any stepping. I believe I could find good Dynalite Gold XP shaft that would work with my swing (R105, S95, etc...) but at that point it's not really worth any extra effort as there is no upcharge on KBS for new set of irons and I already know they work for me.
My friend wants to sell his Mizuno MX 200 irons with stock Dynalite Gold XP, I'm tempted to buy them off him and put KBS Tour R in them to maybe save few £££ (new Mizuno JPX EZ forged irons custom fitted for me would be £560) :)

I had my doubts with Swing DNA fitting session at first but now I'm very happy with the outcome!

hursty

HCP
Local club/country
No Fixed Abode
Irons
MP-33 2-PW, MP T-7 52 & 58 wedges
Driver
Cobra Encore ZL F1 Stiff, 913F 3W - Ahina XStiff, Odyssey #7CS
TZoid, just to throw an alternative in the mix:

I know they arent as current as some of the shafts youve mentioned but have a look at GS 95/85/75 shafts, i have a GS95 S300 shaft in a second MP53 6 iron so I could compare against my normal set with Dynalite XP S300.

I wanted to try the lighter shaft hence why I bought it, distances where similar but the trajectory for me is more appealing to my eye with the GS95.

I've bought a set of Pro II heads that Im going to put the 95s in and may very well retire the 53s as a result :)

Local club/country
MMGC
Irons
MIzuno MX-200
Driver
Mizuno JPX825 10.5 R
Thanks hursty for an input.

I have literally zero experience with GS shafts. I only know about their existance cause it's listed on TT website :) How would you describe them or compare to? Would they be same characteristic as XPs only lighter, or like some other shafts, Dynamic Gold Lite (not SL) etc?

hursty

HCP
Local club/country
No Fixed Abode
Irons
MP-33 2-PW, MP T-7 52 & 58 wedges
Driver
Cobra Encore ZL F1 Stiff, 913F 3W - Ahina XStiff, Odyssey #7CS
TZoid said:
Thanks hursty for an input.

I have literally zero experience with GS shafts. I only know about their existance cause it's listed on TT website :) How would you describe them or compare to? Would they be same characteristic as XPs only lighter, or like some other shafts, Dynamic Gold Lite (not SL) etc?
I want a high launch especially coming into the green as i don't usually check or spin the ball back so i need it coming into the green as steep as possible. Thats why i tried out the GS95 as they are quite a bit lighter than the XP (95g ish v 127g).

I can definitely see a slightly higher trajectory with the 95 (haven't had them ona launch monitor but to my eye it looks higher) Its a bit difficult to describe the exact feel difference but to me the 95 makes me think I've hit a more solid shot, if that makes sense!

What are you exactly trying to achieve? Reason I'm asking is you've mentioned the KBS Shaft and whilst I've never hit them in a Mizuno head I have hit my mates Cobra irons with the KBS Tour shafts in S300 and they produced even higher launches than my XP Shafts.

Local club/country
MMGC
Irons
MIzuno MX-200
Driver
Mizuno JPX825 10.5 R
My initial goal was to stop balooning a ball but maintain mid to high ball flight for landing my ball soft... kinda similar to you.
Dynamic Gold Lite was doing that to me (balooning a ball) so initially I wanted to try something else. Dynalite Gold XP was giving me good flight but a bit less control at impact, sometimes I had a feeling like I didn't know what my clubhead was doing during downswing if that makes sense...
KBS Tour gave me a lot better control and a bit lower ballflight, distance-wise I carried a ball same as Dynalite Gold XP.
The only KBS shaft that I tried that produced me with very high ball flight was Tour 90 which is lighter version of KBS Tour (higher flight and higher spin), Regular version was actually balooning on me. I haven't tried Tour 90 in Stiff, but Wilson is visiting my local golf course next week and I know they put those shafts in their selection of irons so I would like to test it and compare flight to Dynalite XP.
Today is Ping demo day though just few miles away from me so I'll be testing their CFS shafts :)

Halebopp

HCP
Local club/country
Lakeside Golf Vammala, Finland
Irons
MP-H5/53/4
Driver
MP-650/ST180
I checked my swing DNA today at a demo day and the recommended shafts surprised me quite a lot. the numbers were 91, 4, 4, 6, 8. The first shaft recommendation was KBS Tour X-Stiff soft stepped and N.S. Pro 1150 GH Stiff, hard stepped. (Where can I get my man card? :D )

Maybe the Rifle 5.5s really aren't the ones I should be using in the irons and they might actually be a reason for some of the inaccuracies in my iron shots (hooks especially). I do have S300s in my 67s but I'm not a huge fan of those shafts and the club head is also putting me slightly off.

Edit. The last time I did the DNA fitting a couple of years ago, I got light but stiff shafts (like I had got the times before that one), Dynalite S300s, Nippon 950s etc. so my swing has clearly changed.

RobB2

HCP
Local club/country
Irons
Driver
Halebopp said:
I checked my swing DNA today at a demo day and the recommended shafts surprised me quite a lot. the numbers were 91, 4, 4, 6, 8. The first shaft recommendation was KBS Tour X-Stiff soft stepped and N.S. Pro 1150 GH Stiff, hard stepped. (Where can I get my man card? :D )

Maybe the Rifle 5.5s really aren't the ones I should be using in the irons and they might actually be a reason for some of the inaccuracies in my iron shots (hooks especially). I do have S300s in my 67s but I'm not a huge fan of those shafts and the club head is also putting me slightly off.

Edit. The last time I did the DNA fitting a couple of years ago, I got light but stiff shafts (like I had got the times before that one), Dynalite S300s, Nippon 950s etc. so my swing has clearly changed.
I'm sure one of the fitters would explain it better but looking at your numbers ,i would say a heavier ,stiffer tipped shaft would suit you better

Halebopp

HCP
Local club/country
Lakeside Golf Vammala, Finland
Irons
MP-H5/53/4
Driver
MP-650/ST180
RobB2 said:
Halebopp said:

I'm sure one of the fitters would explain it better but looking at your numbers ,i would say a heavier ,stiffer tipped shaft would suit you better
I knew the Rifle 5.5s were probably too weak for me but the need to g all the way to X-flex caught me off guard. Such a drastic difference between what I have and what I should be using probably does show in the shots I hit.

The KBS Tour X did feel good and launched well when I tried it with the MP-4 head, so maybe that's what I should have (or the H5). I just don't like the looks of the 54s nor the 15s.

If/when I do decide to buy a new set I will go through a proper fitting with a TrackMan, check the lie angles etc. so I'm not basing any purchase decisions solely on this information even though I'm quite sure it's very close to accurate.

Bloom

HCP
Local club/country
Canada
So I'm getting new irons and have been on the DNA analyzer twice.  I have everything decided except for shafts.  I'm having a really hard time deciding here.  I'm not really able to get any analytical data off of simulators, so I've mostly been taking some shafts to the range.  Right now, I'm having trouble discerning which shaft is better.  Right now, I'm swinging some stiff shafts in an older TM Burner 2.0 set.  I believe their weight is 95g.  So I'm finding some of the shafts a little heavy right now.

I tend to hit the ball high, and the shafts I"m trying out now tend to have the same results (high ball ball flight, good distance).  Just having trouble deciding which is the best.

The irons I'm looking at are JPX 850 Forged and my HCP is 10.

Here's my DNA numbers:
84  4   4   4   5

Could someone remind me what my recommended shafts would be again, or point me in a direction where I could punch in my numbers?

Top Bottom