Custom Fitting without DNA

POB

Local club/country
United Kingdom
Hi
Had a custom fit with JPX forged but fitting centre didn't use the DNA swing, and it was only when I visited my local shop that they were surprised. Is it normal to fit without it when they are a fitting centre for Mizuno?

Thanks in advance

seanmor

HCP
WHS 18.0
Local club/country
Caprington Golf Club Kilmarnock
Irons
MIZUNO JPX921HM irons 5-PW
Driver
ST-X 230 12.0 deg N.S.Pro 950 GH Neo R flex shaft
Hi
Had a custom fit with JPX forged but fitting centre didn't use the DNA swing, and it was only when I visited my local shop that they were surprised. Is it normal to fit without it when they are a fitting centre for Mizuno?

Thanks in advance
Hi

Thanks in advance
Hi POB,

Speaking personally this has not been my experience, up till now all my Mizuno's have been custom fitted and every time I have used the swing DNA system.

So as far as I am aware at an official Mizuno fitting centres and retail outlets it would be the normal/proffered procedure to have you use the DNA swing system in order to determine what the three recommended shafts would be as a starting point to your custom fit, keeping in mind that this is only a starting point and you may not leave your fitting having opted for one of the three recommended shafts as there are a number of other factors to be considered that may well play a part in your final shaft Joyce ie: feel, flight, carry distance, dispersion etc.,,

John

LOS

Local club/country
England
My experience is similar to John's.
However I would like to know how reliable the "Fitting Locator" is and how often it is updated.
During the flooding in Carlisle several years ago a retailer was flooded out and he moved location to a driving range near the M6 but the original flooded site is still showing on the fitting locator list, it's derelict. His present website shows no Mizuno clubs either. I have not been in American Golf store for years but did they ever get the new "DNA Analyser" after the financial problems in 2018.

POB

Local club/country
United Kingdom
Thanks for the feedback it was a prominent Mizuno fitting centre, and I did discuss that I wanted to test the Mizuno JPX919. On the day I never thought about it, and just got fitted with a shaft via Trackman to the 919 Forged.

Only came up when I discussed it with my local pro shop, and at this stage they are a big jump from my old clubs so I need time to feel confident with them.

Last edited:

seanmor

HCP
WHS 18.0
Local club/country
Caprington Golf Club Kilmarnock
Irons
MIZUNO JPX921HM irons 5-PW
Driver
ST-X 230 12.0 deg N.S.Pro 950 GH Neo R flex shaft
However I would like to know how reliable the "Fitting Locator" is and how often it is updated.
During the flooding in Carlisle several years ago a retailer was flooded out and he moved location to a driving range near the M6 but the original flooded site is still showing on the fitting locator list, it's derelict. His present website shows no Mizuno clubs either. I have not been in American Golf store for years but did they ever get the new "DNA Analyser" after the financial problems in 2018.
Hi LOS,

The last time I was custom fitted was at My local American golf store back in November 2019 the reason I'm so sure about the date is it's one of the numbers etched on the hosel of my irons and they did use the Shaft DNA optimiser system on that day to fit me with new shafts..!

Just to give a bit of background to my custom fitting I was originally fitted for my JPX 900 Hot Metal irons back in November 2017 at the Mizuno Custom Fitting and Performance centre at Gleneagles Scotland when I was fitted for the shaft that worked best for my at the time and that was KBS Tour C-Taper Lite 105 R I really liked that shaft it was a great performer, but as time went on my arthritic problems started to get the better of me and I was struggling to get the best out of the KBS shafts and as my swing speed started to slow down I thought it might be time to have a rethink on what shafts I was using and if there was a better alternative.

So I went in to AG and told them the problem I was having and they did a full custom fit using the Mizuno shaft optimiser DNA system and I ended up having my original JPX 900 HM irons re-turned to Mizuno in Cumbernauld where they fitted a new set of Project X LZ 4.0/A/60g Graphite shafts and golf pride Black/White grips were fitted,

So on my Mizuno irons I have two numbers etched on them the original custom fit number (231017 C) and the number after the re-shaft was done (220119 R)

John.

LOS

Local club/country
England
I just happen to find the "Fitting Locator" quirky.

If I do a search for Carlisle with a 20 mile radius it doesn;t find it and when you look in the Border region you get
c1.jpg

If I do a search for Dumfries with a 40 mile radius I get this when I zoom out.

d1.jpg

The Golf Centre site shown no longer exists.

MTR

HCP
f0re
Local club/country
EU
Irons
MP-9-11-14-29-37-20
Thanks for the feedback it was a prominent Mizuno fitting centre, and I did discuss that I wanted to test the Mizuno JPX919. On the day I never thought about it, and just got fitted with a shaft via Trackman to the 919 Forged.

Only came up when I discussed it with my local pro shop, and at this stage they are a big jump from my old clubs so I need time to feel confident with them.
IMHO the DNA system can provide the fitter with a good startong point for the fit, it is not an end-all recommendation. The fitters experience and epertise will trump any system or tool used. As long as the final fit gave you what you needed, how it was achieved is of far less importance (save maybe peace of mind). Iy ou want, toss in the LM data and fitting specs and we might give you that as well :)

MPX

Administrator
Staff member
HCP
Local club/country
UK
Irons
JPX919 Hot Metal Pro 4-PW (C Taper Lite stiff), T20 wedges chrome - 50 / 56
Driver
ST-Z driver, ST200x 3wood, ST200x 5 wood
We chase the guys to keep it updated and live as possible........happens weekly. But obviously some slip the net. Can you let me know the shop in question?

MPX

Administrator
Staff member
HCP
Local club/country
UK
Irons
Driver
Hi

Thanks in advance
It's not obligatory for the retailer to use the DNA tool - but 95% of them do. I'd question any of them who don't. Such a good starting point - daft not to use it.

POB

Local club/country
United Kingdom
IMHO the DNA system can provide the fitter with a good startong point for the fit, it is not an end-all recommendation. The fitters experience and epertise will trump any system or tool used. As long as the final fit gave you what you needed, how it was achieved is of far less importance (save maybe peace of mind). Iy ou want, toss in the LM data and fitting specs and we might give you that as well :)
It's not obligatory for the retailer to use the DNA tool - but 95% of them do. I'd question any of them who don't. Such a good starting point - daft not to use it.
I understand its a balance and perhaps it depends on the customer, I said i wasn't looking for distance just feedback and consistency. I want to point out i wasn't unhappy with the service, I have always bought straight off the rack clubs and this was the first custom fitting, but like has been said, the tech is available so why not use it.

Not sure what data you would think is important, but the specs of the clubs are 2 degree upright, dynamic gold L105. My last set of clubs i had for 15 years so its going to take time to bond and feel confident. JPX919.JPG JPX9191.JPG

Last edited:

MPX

Administrator
Staff member
HCP
Local club/country
UK
Irons
Driver
I'm sure they did a good job.

Having spoken to good and less good fitters - some still get confused as to where the DNA software helps.

Launch monitors are great for telling you where the ball went and how it got there. But its measuring the results.. Needs a good fitter to understand the data and then know how to manipulate it by changing set up / shaft.

The Optimizer reads the load on the shaft and the matches to a matrix of custom shafts that we've measured against each other and mapped. Once you've got that shortlist of shafts - that's where the launch monitor comes in. Great for figuring out how they work against each other. But without the Optimizer and the software, that first step can be very hit and miss.

Top Bottom