Custom Fitting - Poor Customer Service

HCP
Local club/country
Palm-Aire & Boca Municipal/South Florida, USA
Irons
Mizuno MX-200
Driver
Taylormade Burner
I'd like to receive advice from a Mizuno representative and others who have purchased Mizuno irons, especially those in South Florida.

I'm a 16 handicap. I've tried all the clubs in the game improvement category and have narrowed the list to Mizuno MX-200 or MP-52 versus Taylormade Burners. I'm ready to get custom-fitted. I've talked with four retailers about custom fitting (three national chains with local stores and one local shop) plus my club pro/instructor/fitter. They all want to slap me into a set they already have in stock without doing a thorough fitting process to test different shaft options. Looking at the shaft specs, there are quite a few options to explore. Except for my club pro who doesn't like Mizuno because he said the can't be bent - doing loft & lie adjustments will ruin the chrome. Joshella said in a previous posting that changes can be made of up to 2 degrees from originial loft. But will multiple changes over several years cause a problem with the finish? So is my pro wrong?

One store owner summarized fairly well the reaction I'm getting from each store and professional: "Quite honestly, I'm not going to do much of a fitting on you. You're not a professional player, so there isn't any point in doing a full fitting. The stock club will be fine." I beg to differ! At at price tag of $700, I want to buy the RIGHT clubs that will work perfectly for me and help me enjoy the game for the next 6 years or so. I'm not going to take something that's convenient for THEM to sell me, especially after a dismissive and cursory "fitting & analysis." I expect a superior product AND customer service for my $700. Should I expect the same anywhere since I'm not "a professional?"

Also, I talked directly with a Mizuno rep who was visiting a store when I was doing a demo. I asked him about the MX-300s and other clubs coming out in September. My question was ignored. What is all the secrecy about the new products? Everyone knows new Mizuno club models are coming out in September, so why the secrecy? It certainly is a factor in any purchasing decision now.

I'm so frustrated now! Help!

Grilled Cheese

HCP
Local club/country
Mizuno Golf Club/USA
Irons
Split Set - MP H5 (3 - 5), MP-64 (6 - PW), MP T5 (51, 58)
Driver
Mizuno MP-630 10.5 with Fujikura F3 70 Stiff
Hello Pitchers Mound.

First off, I’m glad that you’ve narrowed it down to the couple of Mizuno offerings along with the Burners.

Now, about your fitting questions, you definitely have the right idea wanting to get custom fit! Without a doubt, I would insist on any club that I buy being custom fit exactly for me. The final result will be a club that works best with your body type, swing characteristics, and ability level. What are the negatives to that?!? The reason that Mizuno offers so many different shafts is because no two sings are exactly the same and each swing has a set of specs (in terms of head specs and shaft bending profile) that will deliver the most power as well as the most consistent strike to the golf ball.

To the store owner who dismissed your fitting because you’re not a profession, I will say to him that an amateur will actually benefit MORE from a club fitting than a tour pro. A tour pro is able to adjust his or her swing to deliver the results that they are looking for while an amateur isn’t able to do that as easily. To have you in a set of sticks that fits you properly gives you your best chance for success…and also, who wants to spend that kind of money (because let’s face it, buying a set of irons in an investment) for something generic when they could spend it on something personalized!

To the pro who said that Mizuno’s can’t be bent, that simply isn’t true. Mizuno is a fitting focused company and we ensure that everything we make (ESPECIALLY irons) are able to be bent to a specific player’s proper loft and lie. Will it ruin the chrome? Absolutely not. There is a chance depending on how far you are from standard that slight craftsman marks will appear on your clubs, but these are minor blemishes that are not noticeable and will have zero effect on performance.

Finally, about the new products that are coming, Mizuno will be launching new stuff in September and while I am aware that there is some information available in the public domain, none is this is directly from Mizuno, it is all speculation. We keep as tight lipped as possible until everything is officially out on the market.

I hope that his helps, and please let me know if there are any other questions that you have.

-gc

anchorpags

Local club/country
USA
Irons
Mizuno MP-29 / Mizuno MX-300 / MP T-10 Black Satin 64-07
Driver
Mizuno MP-600 / Putter / Mizuno Bettinardi BC6 & BC7
If you adjust over the recommended 2 degrees, you could see an issue with the chrome.. This was seen on my clubs about 6 years ago.. Have not seen any problems with new clubs..

Top Bottom