complete beginner

trickymicky69

Local club/country
paultons, hampshire
I have just taken an interest in golf again.

I used to play when I was around 20 years old and used to really like it, now I am 31 and haven't played for a good ten years (not even on the driving range)

My life is much less busy now which would allow me time to play.

Seeing as I am starting from scratch, would it be beneficial to have a custom fitting? I have read so many good reviews about the mx-200 irons that I feel they may be the right clubs for me. Forgiving enough, but not so clumsy that I will want to p-ex them after 6 months.

I know I will be a terrible player to start with but is it still worth it?

Also I have seen them advertised on the net for a really good price (£399) including free fitting.

Is this fitting at your centre?

Thanks

MPX

Administrator
Staff member
HCP
Local club/country
UK
Irons
JPX919 Hot Metal Pro 4-PW (C Taper Lite stiff), T20 wedges chrome - 50 / 56
Driver
ST-Z driver, ST200x 3wood, ST200x 5 wood
Any session at one of our National Fitting Centres is free of charge. We don't charge either our retailers or users for the service.

A 'custom set' normally means that it has been ordered to specification from our assembly line in Scotland - where it would be made for you.

There's no less reason as a beginner not to be fitted if you are buying new irons. Lot's of your characteristics will be fixed. A good fitter will take into account how likely you are to improve.

You can book a fitting session at a Mizuno NFC through any Mizuno retailer. Hope that helps.

mjtoal

HCP
Local club/country
Bearwood Lakes, Berkshire
Irons
Mizuno MP4, C-taper S
Driver
Tirtleist 913D3, Oban Devotion
Mickey

Try to go without too many assumptions about what will work best. You might be surprised!

trickymicky69

Local club/country
paultons, hampshire
thanks for the advice

the only reason i looked at those two clubs , is down to price.

my mrs wont let me spend stupid amounts on "a hobby that will mean i never see you!"

so i can go to the national fitting centre and then still buy them online?

mjtoal

HCP
Local club/country
Irons
Mizuno MP4, C-taper S
Driver
I have been to the NFC and I was given a print out of the spec at the end.

My spec was standard loft, lie and length, so that would have made it easy to buy one online, but I got it from the pro at my club anyway.

trickymicky69

Local club/country
paultons, hampshire
When I order my clubs, do I get them sent directly to me from Mizuno h/q or do I need to collect them from somewhere else?

The only reason I ask is I am having a fitting on 30th July but my first scheduled game is 8th August?

trickymicky69

Local club/country
paultons, hampshire
I have booked myself an appointment for the 30th of July which was the first available.

After talking to a pro at my local club and trying a few sets for size, it seems to be a good thing as all irons I try have the "toe" of the club quite a way from the floor.

Whats this symtom called and how is it caused?

mjtoal

HCP
Local club/country
Irons
Mizuno MP4, C-taper S
Driver
trickymicky69 said:
I have booked myself an appointment for the 30th of July which was the first available.

After talking to a pro at my local club and trying a few sets for size, it seems to be a good thing as all irons I try have the "toe" of the club quite a way from the floor.

Whats this symtom called and how is it caused?
If the toe stick up, the club is too upright and you need a flatter lie. The Mizuno fitters can help you with that!

trickymicky69

Local club/country
paultons, hampshire
so when i order the clubs from my supplier, do they come direct from mizuno to me, or do i need to collect them from the supplier?

trickymicky69

Local club/country
paultons, hampshire
i am being fitted this thursday! very happy

the only problem is, the weekend after next i am playing golf.

whats the chances of having them delivered by then?

any idea on the quickest delivery time and where i should get them from?

HCP
Local club/country
England.
Irons
Mizuno JPX 800 PRO 4-pw kbs Project x 5.5
Driver
Callaway razr hawk tour pro force v2 stiff
Not to sure but i am sure i read on this forum somewhere that the MX200's are on back order, i have been waiting for a mx200 50 degree wedge for 2 weeks, because the shaft i want is a stiff flex.

trickymicky69

Local club/country
paultons, hampshire
i am thinking of going for either mx100's or mx 950's now to suit my high handicap

i played my first 18 holes last friday and managed 24 over

trickymicky69

Local club/country
paultons, hampshire
had my custom fitting today, all in all a great experience.

i have ordered my clubs (mx700 3 wood, 3 and 4 mx fli hi with exsar shafts, 5-pw mx100 with exsar shafts, 55 and 60 degree mx wedges)

when the lie was checked i hit only two shots on the lie board and it was decided that i am 1* upright.

i have now ordered my clubs but am worried that only two swings is not enough, i am also 5'9" and everyone i speak to says i would probably be flat rather than upright?

HCP
Local club/country
North Hants GC
Irons
MP59 3-PW, MP FLI-HI 2 iron, R-12 Black Satin wedges.
Driver
MP650 9.5, Axiv Core Black shaft.
As long as you hit two or three good shots on the lie board, that will be enough for the fitter to see where the sole of the club is hitting the ground at impact.

Even if the toe of the club is off the ground at address it doesn't always mean that you need a flatter lie angle. When you take the club away your swing can change, so it is important to see where the sole of the club hits the ground at impact.

If the characteristics of your golf swing do change over time then the lie angle is something that you can change on your clubs.

Hope this helps.

trickymicky69

Local club/country
paultons, hampshire
thank you for the advice

I thought I had quite a high swing speed (i am 31, go to the gym three times per week and am very fit)

i was still recommended graphite though?

Top Bottom