Coloured Balls

Steve Smith

Local club/country
Newcastle upon tyne
Has anyone thought of using these options?

Back in the day you were always considered a bit of a pleb and rabbit. i.e proper golfers dont use yellow or orange balls.

But now there seems to be a bit of sense involved, certainly when you play alone and lose sight of the flight. I have lost many white balls into the semi, losing sight into the sun and thinking I had found it, only to find a bit of white feather or leaf.

There is still a lot of stigma if you are a decent player, but at the end of the day a lot of good golf balls come in a variety of colours now and I would certainly consider orange as a higher visibility option (but not pink, ha ha 😁😁)

The pro's don't need to worry about losing a ball because they have any army of spotters and people searching, and most of the offline areas have been trampled down by the crowd. The last time I saw a pro lose a ball I think was at the Open at Muirfield in 2002 when Gary Evans hooked one into the rough at 17. He had to go back, put a 3 wood on the green and holed a 60 footer for a par 5 😀

I just wondered what anyone else's thoughts were about using a coloured ball without embarasment?

Brattz

HCP
Pro
Local club/country
Derby Golf Centre
Irons
Mizuno JPX 919 Tour (4-PW) - Project X LZ 6.5 120g - 0.5° Flat - 1/2"+
Driver
Titleist TS3 - HC Project X LZ17 6.5 60g, 9.5°, A1 - 11g
Read about the yellow ProV1 why it took so long to develop. Believe it or not but because of the colouring needed non-white balls don’t fly as far..... until Titleist found a way of doing it!

LOS

Local club/country
England
I have used coloured balls , on and off, for years due to Xmas, birthday...... gifts and found no difference to their equivalent white ball. These balls couldn't be classed as premium performance but allright for a knockabout although I seemed to lose a lot. About 8 years ago I started wearing glasses full time and found that the yellow colour was best for my eyesight and have used them full time since although I have changed to a more performance oriented ball. Initially it was difficult to get a decent ball locally as Pro's didn't feel inclined to stock them so for years it was internet purchase.
Orange as a colour did not work for me and you would have to ask Bubba W as to how the pink Volvics performed.

MrK20

Local club/country
Germany
Irons
Mizuno / MP 20 HMB; MP 20; T20 / 2; 3-9; 49, 54, 60, Nippon Modus 120 S
Driver
Mizuno / ST-Z / D, 3W, 5W / JPX900 22H / CLK 25H. MRC Diamana D+(D, 3W, 5W) , Fujikura SIX R(22), Fujikura Speeder Hb 85 (25)
I play the Orange Mizuno RB 566 and I don't feel ashamed one bit. Orange is one of my favourite colours hence why I went for it.

PaulBoy

HCP
WHS 7.0
Local club/country
Army GC
Irons
Mizuno Pro 223 (4-AW) Modus3 120s
Driver
Titleist TSi2 Graphite Design Tour AD XC-50s
I don't think there is a stigma about using coloured balls in this day and age, but agree in the "old days" there definitely was - I only use coloured ones in frosty conditions & go for hi-vis yellow - I can't see the orange ones for some reason? - I do also like some of the "patterned" ball that are popular now & (being from NI) had some with shamrocks on them for a while - The new "Rickie Fowler" TM ball is quite nice too - Not sure I'd buy a dozen, but was happy to use one I found!
Paul

MPX

Administrator
Staff member
HCP
Local club/country
UK
Irons
JPX919 Hot Metal Pro 4-PW (C Taper Lite stiff), T20 wedges chrome - 50 / 56
Driver
ST-Z driver, ST200x 3wood, ST200x 5 wood
Quickest way of identifying my ball works for me. I quite like the blue logo on the RB566 for that. But yellow absolutely fine.

RobCH

HCP
Local club/country
Nomadic
Irons
JPX 900 Forged 5-PW, JPX FliHi 4, T7 50, 54, 58 wedges. Odyssey Tank putter
Driver
GT180 driver & 3 wood, JPX 900 3 Hybrid
I've used yellow AD333s for years very happily - with my game, they're easier to spot in the rough I so frequently inhabit. Srixon now do something called the AD333 Tour Yellow, which sadly is neither their better-performing AD333 Tour ball nor a particularly hi-vis yellow. I recently found an as-new fluorescent red Wilson Optix and used it for a few holes. I was very pleasantly surprised at how good it felt off the club, and how easy it was to track in flight (an increasing consideration for me these days).

Top Bottom