Club maintenance

HCP
Local club/country
US
Irons
Mizuno MP20 MB 4-PW
Driver
Mizuno ST Z
Ordered the MP20 MBs, I've never owned blades, Mizuno says I should apply a thin coat of lubricant oil to the club heads, how often should I do this? Also should I only use the nylon bristles to clean these clubs, thank you.

Steve Smith

Local club/country
Newcastle upon tyne
Not an expert but I think as long as you wash and dry them thoroughly after a rainy day then all will be fine.

If you do get little rust spots then a bit of Autosol polish and a dry cloth will clean them off just great.

The applying oil thing sounds like a crock of shit to me .... firstly it will trap grime and dirt and sand on the heads... and secondly ... you might actually be breaking the rules..

Back in the day... unscrupulous golfers would carry around a lip balm and grease up their drivers with it when nobody was looking. It acted to take spin off the shot and made the ball fly further without as much hook or slice and go further into the wind as less spin made for a more penetrating flight. Lee Trevino was accused of this many times ... but never proven.

Forget the oil crap mate. Just keep them dry and clean and use a little metal polish if rust spots occur.

Just my VHO. Been using blades since the late 70's

Take care and KR's dude

Smitty 😇😇😇

Steve Smith

Local club/country
Newcastle upon tyne
Ordered the MP20 MBs, I've never owned blades, Mizuno says I should apply a thin coat of lubricant oil to the club heads, how often should I do this? Also should I only use the nylon bristles to clean these clubs, thank you.
Yes ... NEVER use a metal wire brush on clubs, even in the grooves. If the grooves ever corrode then a good metal polish and your thumbnail under a soft cloth will sort it

Steve Smith

Local club/country
Newcastle upon tyne
A fine choice, they have a copper layer under the chrome just like the classic Mizuno blades of old. They will feel like butter when you pure them, but very unforgiving.

They are based on the classic TN87 blades that Mizuno designed for their top staff player and poster boy Tsuneki "Tommy" Nakajima in 1987. He was one of the best players in the world in the 80's and came very close to winning a major a few times.

The TN87 model is widely regarded as Mizuno's greatest iron... although I have my MP14 set which Tiger used in the 97 Masters and my MP32's which were made in heaven, so it is all a personal subjective thing...
Your MP20s have slightly more rounded profile... slightly wider soles... slightly more bounce and more rounded and softer with the leading and trailing edges... and the weight distribution is slightly lower and more towards the back of the head so as to give a higher launch angle and allow stronger lofts ... but they are in essence a remake of the classic TN87 model with a modern rebuild...
When we discuss blades it is fractions not huge amounts of change.
But they are a thing of beauty.

https://images.app.goo.gl/Z1U7Jqq9qEoeJ7Yg8

Steve Smith

Local club/country
Newcastle upon tyne

Also - deffo use iron covers. It sounds a bit soft but ... all of the damage happens in the bag. Not so much if you are carrying per se... but on a trolley... clank clank clank.... horrible bag chatter ruins irons in a year or so. ....

You have paid a grand or so for these gorgeous clubs so 20 quid for a set of iron covers to keep them like new is not too much to pay...

HCP
Local club/country
Australia
Irons
Mizuno jpx
Driver
Mizuno jpx
Also, try not to wet too much around the hosel and ferel.... rust can develop on the shaft. Saw a mate lose his Miz 4 iron that way..... too much love!

Steve Smith

Local club/country
Newcastle upon tyne
Also, try not to wet too much around the hosel and ferel.... rust can develop on the shaft. Saw a mate lose his Miz 4 iron that way..... too much love!
Agreed Mark....

I know it is a pain but after a wet round... Always clean and dry your clubs thoroughly....

Nothing better than if you play the Sat Medal with your pals (we have a bunch of about 15 of us who play between 12:30 and 2pm and have a little side Stableford sweep for a couple of quid each, so even if you have a stinker and NR ... it keeps the interest).... couple of beers... bit of jokey piss taking banter ... and a hot sarnie..

Then get home about 6:30 pm... Old repeats of Top Gear on the kitchen Telly. Crack open a bottle of Stella ... and clean and dry my clubs and stuff.

Perfect Sat afternoon sorted....😀😀😀

But then again I am a very sad bloke and no longer have a GF.... wonder why?

But when I think of when I did..... shopping malls and garden centres on Saturdays....

I think ...on balance... all things considered...

😁😁😁😆😆😆

DennisMiller

HCP
Old Age
Local club/country
Killian Greens Golf Club
Irons
MX-1000
Driver
ST-180
I've never cleaned my clubs with more than dish washing liquid and an old toothbrush. Of course, I haven't needed to worry about winter maintenance in over 50 years, but all I recall was spraying some furniture polish on a rag to wipe it on the steel shafts.

Top Bottom