CLK Hybrid Shaft

MrK20

Local club/country
Germany
Irons
Mizuno / MP 20 HMB; MP 20; T20 / 2; 3-9; 49, 54, 60, Nippon Modus 120 S
Driver
Mizuno / ST-Z / D, 3W, 5W / JPX900 22H / CLK 25H. MRC Diamana D+(D, 3W, 5W) , Fujikura SIX R(22), Fujikura Speeder Hb 85 (25)
Hi everyone,

I tried to go through the search but haven't been able to find much.
I think I will order a CLK Hybrid (btw is there a new version in the works?). I am wondering what shaft would be best for me regarding the iron and wood shafts that I enjoy. For me the shaft question is mostly a feel question. I really enjoy the feel of both the Shafts in my Driver/3W as well as my iron shafts. The shafts are The Diamana D+ 70S in the Woods and the Modus 120 S in the irons. Which of the CLK Shafts would be best for me? Does anyone have any recommendations? I don't have the opportunity to go to a store to try them out so I thought I might as well ask here for advice. I was thinking either the Fujikura Speeder HB 85 or the Tensei CK Pro Blue 70 in S. Anyone has any recommendations?

Cheers!

PaulBoy

HCP
WHS 7.0
Local club/country
Army GC
Irons
Mizuno Pro 223 (4-AW) Modus3 120s
Driver
Titleist TSi2 Graphite Design Tour AD XC-50s
What hybrid are you planning to buy? - Options are to get a Diamana hybrid shaft in the right weight for your hybrid or get the same Modus shaft you have fitted in your irons fitted in your hybrid? - In my experience the main thing to avoid is getting your hybrid with a shaft that is too light? - A good ball striker will get better results from having an iron shaft or a heavier weight graphite shaft fitted in their hybrid - Hope that helps ... Paul

MrK20

Local club/country
Germany
Irons
Driver
Mizuno / ST-Z / D, 3W, 5W / JPX900 22H / CLK 25H. MRC Diamana D+(D, 3W, 5W) , Fujikura SIX R(22), Fujikura Speeder Hb 85 (25)
Hi Paul,

thank you for the advice. I am getting a CLK 25 degree Hybrid that will play as the 4 iron in my set, I will set it at 24 degrees. The website from which I order only allows the standard shafts that Mizuno offers, and I would definitely like to get one of those. So only choices are the Fuji Speeder Evo Hybrid Shafts or from the Tensei range. The CK Pro White sounds like a good fit from what you said, as it is a heavier option with the same profile like my Wood shafts. Issue is, however, that Mizuno only offers that in TX Flex, while I only fit in a Stiff. But I thought the same about the shaft being too light not being necessarily a good thing in a hybrid.

Cheers,
Chris

PaulBoy

HCP
WHS 7.0
Local club/country
Army GC
Irons
Driver
Hi Chris ... I see you have Modus 120g shafts in your irons - I have the equivalent KBS shafts in my irons & just checked my (Titleist) hybrid (also a 24*) and it has a PX Even Flow White 85g shaft fitted - Looking at the options on the Mizuno site I would say the Speeder Evo 85 HB 85g Stiff shaft would be your best option? - Strange that they do not list any (steel) iron shafts for fitting in their hybrids, when this used to be an option as far as I am aware?
Hope that helps?
Paul

MrK20

Local club/country
Germany
Irons
Driver
Hi Paul,

the Fli-Hi Hybrid can get steel iron shafts fitted as far as I am aware. Why this does not apply to the other Hybrids I am not sure.
I too thought the Speeder Evo might be my best option as far as weight, profile and flex is concerned, so it encourages me to go down this route. I will sleep it over and then make my decision.
Thank you for the Input Paul!

MTR

HCP
f0re
Local club/country
EU
Irons
MP-9-11-14-29-37-20
I was thinking either the Fujikura Speeder HB 85 or the Tensei CK Pro Blue 70 in S. Anyone has any recommendations?
Weight will most likely have a bigger impact on flight & feel than the profile in itself. For a 4 iron replacement I wouldn't go below 85g if you like the 114g weight of the Modus. 95g would be even better, so if the 95 HB is still an option you might go for that. https://fujikuragolf.com/oem-shafts#ld-1570205144872-813df664-5529

PaulBoy

HCP
WHS 7.0
Local club/country
Army GC
Irons
Driver
Weight will most likely have a bigger impact on flight & feel than the profile in itself. For a 4 iron replacement I wouldn't go below 85g if you like the 114g weight of the Modus. 95g would be even better, so if the 95 HB is still an option you might go for that. https://fujikuragolf.com/oem-shafts#ld-1570205144872-813df664-5529
The 95g version is only available in X in the CLK according to the list on Mizuno Custom Shafts? - I can really go after my hybrid with the PX 85g shaft, so I believe the Evo 85g should be a good fit for Chris?

MrK20

Local club/country
Germany
Irons
Driver
Yes that was my thought as well, that the 95 might be a good fit, but it is only available in X as Paul already mentioned. I do not fit into an X (as seen in my Modus 120 which are stiff, but are known to be more a soft stiff). I think the 85g Stiff Speeder will be a decent fit. Thank you for weighing in though MTR, any feedback is appreciated! :)

Cheers,
Chris

MTR

HCP
f0re
Local club/country
EU
Irons
MP-9-11-14-29-37-20
Yes that was my thought as well, that the 95 might be a good fit, but it is only available in X as Paul already mentioned. I do not fit into an X (as seen in my Modus 120 which are stiff, but are known to be more a soft stiff). I think the 85g Stiff Speeder will be a decent fit. Thank you for weighing in though MTR, any feedback is appreciated! :)

Cheers,
Chris
You're welcome :) that's what the forums are for after all.

Modus 120S to HB95X would likely be too much (especially in the butt section) indeed, that leaves 85S as the best option which should definitely be stable enough by comparison. I've seen the 95S installed, but that probably was custom order, not through Mizuno retail. As a backup option to try side by side you could always fit a Modus 120 in a CLK adapter (if you can find one online) and treat it as if a 4-iron. Also Modus 105X is a surprising good long iron option, they even based the GOST graphite on it. Good luck.

LOS

Local club/country
England
Is there a reason why you didn't go for the FliHI? You can order it with the NS PRO Modus Tour 120 shaft.

1637068161289.png

Steve Smith

Local club/country
Newcastle upon tyne
Hi everyone,

I tried to go through the search but haven't been able to find much.
I think I will order a CLK Hybrid (btw is there a new version in the works?). I am wondering what shaft would be best for me regarding the iron and wood shafts that I enjoy. For me the shaft question is mostly a feel question. I really enjoy the feel of both the Shafts in my Driver/3W as well as my iron shafts. The shafts are The Diamana D+ 70S in the Woods and the Modus 120 S in the irons. Which of the CLK Shafts would be best for me? Does anyone have any recommendations? I don't have the opportunity to go to a store to try them out so I thought I might as well ask here for advice. I was thinking either the Fujikura Sp
eeder HB 85 or the Tensei CK Pro Blue 70 in S. Anyone has any recommendations?

Cheers!
I would say to be honest that it is a combination of the shaft and head. In the old days in the 1990s Callaway used their heads toed in to promote a higher ball flight for amateurs who could not get the ball in the air. It was a quick fix and worked to sell their Great Big Bertha woods.
Nowadays most clubs are set very square. I would just recommend getting fitted with a shaft that feels easy to use. The ball fitting is the most important. I use a low compression ball as my driver speed is 92mph. If you are an average swing speed like me then you need a high launch shaft. The low spin drivers that have been lauded for hard hitters are no good for average swingers like us. I use the low compression RB Mizuno ball... much cheaper than the tour ball and it goes further for me.
Just my very humble opinion 😀😀

MrK20

Local club/country
Germany
Irons
Driver
Is there a reason why you didn't go for the FliHI? You can order it with the NS PRO Modus Tour 120 shaft.

View attachment 10306
Hi LOS,
thanks for the suggestion but as far as I understand, the JPX Fli-Hi is more of a Direct Long Iron Replacement, meaning it should play like an iron, which is why they allow the Modus Shaft in there. However, I want a hybrid more in line with my JPX 900 Hybrid, which the CLK should be the successor to, a Hybrid that plays like a Hybrid.
If my understanding of the situation is wrong, I will be happy to consider the JPX Fli-Hi, but at the moment I don't see it as an option.

Cheers,
Chris

Steve Smith

Local club/country
Newcastle upon tyne
Hi LOS,
thanks for the suggestion but as far as I understand, the JPX Fli-Hi is more of a Direct Long Iron Replacement, meaning it should play like an iron, which is why they allow the Modus Shaft in there. However, I want a hybrid more in line with my JPX 900 Hybrid, which the CLK should be the successor to, a Hybrid that plays like a Hybrid.
If my understanding of the situation is wrong, I will be happy to consider the JPX Fli-Hi, but at the moment I don't see it as an option.

Cheers,
Chris
I think the Utopia which we all want is what the pros do ie a quick launch then a very penetrating straight flight before droping out of the air. My ball flight is rather loopy more of a curve but that is ok, it just means I am a low spin swing, so these modern low spin drivers are really no good for me. I have a ST180 and have fiddled with it putting lead tape on the back and the heel to get a draw bias and better launch angle but I think I will trade it in for an STX in the new year and get fitted with the right shaft. The correct fitting and shaft is very important IMHO 😀👍

Top Bottom